Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive fork cartridges..

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mattman22033

I'm sorry...I don't care how good the Ohlins stuff is...I am not paying $1000+ for suspension.
How do you figure $1000+ when Howard posted right above you that a pair of Ohlins costs $496?

Old 02-17-2010, 12:41 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinrider
How do you figure $1000+ when Howard posted right above you that a pair of Ohlins costs $496?
You are correct...my mind is a blur from reading all these posts. But that is still to much as I bought a pair of used HD 13" touring shocks for $60 and they will work just fine for me. Besides Ohlins still doesn't have anything for HD front forks as far as I know.

People seemed to have forgotten that this whole thread is about front suspension not rear.

Last edited by mattman22033; 02-17-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinrider
Howard's web site does list a set of rear shocks at a retail price just over $1000. I rather choked when I saw that too. I don't get the impression that those are the versions that are discounted to $496 for forum members but I could be wrong about that. If they are, that's one heck of a mark up!

Old 02-17-2010, 02:15 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mattman22033
You are correct...my mind is a blur from reading all these posts. But that is still to much as I bought a pair of used HD 13" touring shocks for $60 and they will work just fine for me. Besides Ohlins still doesn't have anything for HD front forks as far as I know.

People seemed to have forgotten that this whole thread is about front suspension not rear.
Yes they do but it's inverted forks.

Last edited by qtrracer; 02-17-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: wrong terminology
Old 02-17-2010, 03:00 PM
mhud
Road Captain

Wow! There's a lot of stuff going on here. Judging by the tone it sounds like the Republicans and Democratics. I think I know which is which here.

Great line notlost_nc:

"It took me 119 posts to figure out nobody has any input on the Monotube from Progressive. Someone should have started an Ohlins thread and saved me some time."

Old 03-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Stoood
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Progressive's gas charged Monotube damper w/tuned fork spring Kit, '97 thru '10 FLHT

WELL, it's now been 14 hours since I called the Manufacturer of the Progressive monotube damper kit, too bad I just wasted 2 hours reading this post to find out if anyone has tried them on their BIKE yet, only to find out nobody has done so (at least I called the manufacturer and found out SOMETHING). My Trike weighs 1200 pounds, I have 52 healed fractures, pain, had 3 hip replacements (one went bad so I went to the STRYKER REBUILDABLE Hip Replacement w/ Ceramic bearing inserts), I researched this too before installation. I just dumped in 10 Grand on top of the 32 Grand I paid for my Trike so the torque curve, gearing, clutch, RIDE (I have adjustable air suspension in the back), etc. would be EXACTLY the way I want it to be. I'm now retired, my Girlfriend has Loopis, is in great pain too, and needs a good ride besides me. My Trike is all done except for tuning (it should have 110 ft. Lbs. and 100+ Hp w/ torque peaking @ 2900 rpm and streaching from 1800 to 4800 in a nice flat fashion according to the research and math I did. My buddie's 103",'07 w/the same cams, Zipper A/c and cheap pipes made 99hp/113tq), nice power down low for towing my trailer. QUESTION. My Trike is setting at the Harley shop with a set of the progressive monotubes and progressive springs setting there and staged to be installed this morning. I have front air shocks on my '83 Shovel Tour Sport and 10 weight oil in the front end as this works PERFECT with a passenger and luggage (and 18 pounds of air in the rear suspension). As for my Trike, SHOULD I HAVE THEM INSTALLED to get me by until I can get something better? As is, a minor bump at 60mph results in a Huge front-end bump, followed by 2 or 3 frontal ocillations.!

Howard, do you have a tried and true product that will preform better that is rebuildable, adjustable, & that I can get in time for a May trip? Passenger, luggage, trike and all should gross at 1650 Lbs (not including trailer). I will send you a personal email as I need an answer soon, perhaps I will set the Progressive Kit aside for now (or forever)? The dealer thinks it will take 3 or 4 hours labor @ $66hour to remove the tubes and replace the stock HD Guts w/ the progressive stuff. As I got 40+ Grand invested already, a couple thousand is not a problem, so if there is a better kit or entire forks available, it will be worth it due to both our pain levels (She complains much more than me). I made my first million at age 46 as anyone in this fine country should be able to do, so money is not a problem. I'll leave this afternoon's memo attached below as it has info on where I found my fork kit, price, and other details from my now 15 hour plight. I'll give a full account of performance of my rig after the 1st spring trip. Thanks in Advance! -Stoood

J&P just started stocking them PN 231-476, $305.99 w/ my 10% Gold Card discount. I had a set UPS'ed to the shop Yesterday, where they are finishing up my trike build ('New '08 FLHTCU w/ mototrike conversion, hitch, reverse, 103" kit w 10 to one pistons fitted at .0015 skirt clearance, SE204 cams, 1.725 rockers for 0.539 lift, 208 # Beehive springs, forged rocker supports, Rivera Pro clutch, SE B.Twin Compensator, 30 T Andrews drive pulley for 2830 rpm @ 75mph and 7% increased overall torque, Baker+1 pan, V&H TRU Duals w/ Python Mufflers, Supertuner with SW and wiring harness for the bike and my PC., etc. etc.). I figured I might as well spend another $500+ to make it ride better; I just finished talking to Progressive, they claim HUGE improvement in Dampening, anti-dive, ride, all things good, and "should last 80,000 miles". Dealer wants 3 or 4 hours labor at $66/hour, so with tax and shipping, the Progressive kit will cost me about $620 installed. Fitment ; 1997 though 2010 HD Touring model forks, and replaces all of the internal parts.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Stoood,

I suggest you phone Howard direct and talk to him about your trike, then let us know how you get on! His website is in the list down the right side of your monitor. He custom builds forks with a cartridge insert and springs to match your bike, so he could well be your man!

Old 03-13-2010, 06:19 AM
Stoood
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks. Howard called ME 10 minutes after I emailed him. Within 20 minutes he had the rework and mods identified that I wanted for my forks, including a quote and fast turn-around. I called my HD Dealer's Mechanic who had started disassembly just 40 minutes prior, to tell him to simply remove the forks and I'd be over to crate them up for shipment to Howard. Unfortunatly, he already had the tubes gutted and the new Progressive cartridges installed and was reasseembling. Fast for a "4 hour" job, but he IS good. SO, it seems that I will be providing you all with a 1st hand evaluation of the Progressive damper & spring Kit. This should be a worst case test as it's on a 1200 Lb. trike. Meanwhile, I'm in the market for a pair of FLHT front forks; I plan to have Howard modify a set with either the mods we spoke of or his new 30 mm cartrige system that's 100% Ohlins, and offers compression, rebound, & spring pre-load. I simply MUST
try it next season. Oh, and as for the additional cost to do it right over the $620 installed price for the progressive kit, it wouldn't fund a decent weekend trip on the bike!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Stoood
Oh, and as for the additional cost to do it right over the $620 installed price for the progressive kit, it wouldn't fund a decent weekend trip on the bike!
Well, I guess that depends on how you define a decent weekend trip!

Best of luck with your suspension mods and I for one am very much looking forward to reading your opinion on the mods.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:46 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Ho Stoood,

Look forward to hearing your comments on your forks. I have just fitted Howard's #3.3 Ohlins (have yet to ride with them) and just know the front end will need attention next!

Quick Reply: Progressive fork cartridges..