Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive fork cartridges..

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:28 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

grbrown,

Which model shocks did you get? I went with the #3/3's from Howard.
I took pictures of a mesuring tool I made for measuring free sag and ride height, but of course fogot to down load them and the camera is now out of state with my wife.
What I did was drill a center hole in a bolt that a coat hanger wire would fit into and bent the wire end at a right angle and use that in the lower shock mount. I then took a scrap piece of alum angle and drilled a hole the size of my saddle bag locking pin. Adding washers to make a tight fit locked the angle to my saddle bag mount and leveled it accross my bike. Then with the bent coat hanger wire held up to the piece of angle I marked the angle and drilled a hole for the wire to run through. I put on two o-rings on the wire one below the angle and one above. With the bike in the air (unloaded) I snugged the o-rings to the angle I lowered the bike and then mesured the distence between the two o-rings and made my adjustments to get the correct free sag. Using a mic I adjusted both shocks to make sure they both were evenly adjusted. I then sat on the bike to check ride height making any adjustments needed to get within the 25-35 mm listed in the manual. I then mic'ed the results and wrote them down. I then had my wife git on the bike with me and adjusted for that set up and mic'ed that setting. This way I have the settings for both and can adjust quickly for both. Remember to add weight to your bike for saddle bags and riding gear that you would ride with

Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 PM
mikeboztx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I have installed the monotubes and so far they are a big improvement over stock. i just bought an 09 RG 4weeks ago and did not like the way the front end dived during braking. I had only put about 100 miles on bike before switching to the Monotubes and only 60 miles with tubes installed ( weather sucks this year in TX). At the same time, i installed the Progressive 940 rear shocks.

The overall impression I've got so for is the handling is way better than when I started. I bought the monotubes for $255 and shocks for $495 and did the install myself. I consider this a low budget upgrade that is adequate for what I paid and got the kind of ride I expected.

While out riding I purposely hit holes, rode in ruts, and rode on any irregular spots I could find.
The rear shocks were set on a low preset and bike had nothing in bags. The rear seems to be firmer ride than the front, brake dive is mostly gone, and bike feels more nimble.

I just sold my 08 GW that had suspension mods and this RG handles better and feels way more responsive.

As for the original post, this was ony a $255 upgade and I think I got my moneys worth. I only wanted BETTER not the all out BEST.
Mike

Old 01-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Progressive Suspension
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well guys, sorry for our absence on the board, we are approaching our big industry tradeshows as well as a number of new product launches and those projects have absorbed most of our time! Looking like more of the Monotube fork kits are now on the market and we should start seeing more reviews. Secret testing of the lowered version is wrapping this month and our test ride team is VERY excited with the results. (wish I could publish our product test forms!) I saw in the previous post a mention of reduction in fork dive with our kit and that continues to stand out as one of its strongest benefits. The sealed monotube damper allows for a more precise control of damping and combined with a tuned fork spring, you should also see a more compliant front end without the risk of it feeling mushy. We'll check back in as often as we can and really appreciate your interest in our work!

Old 01-14-2010, 04:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by 03dragonRK
grbrown,

Which model shocks did you get? I went with the #3/3's from Howard.
I have the same version. However my winter project is to replace the stock swingarm in my 1990 bike with a 2007, wheel and brake. I have all the parts I need now, thanks to Howard, so am making steady progress - it is perishing cold outside at present, so I am indoors in the warm!

I have a 'Suspension THUMP' thread here in Touring where I post my progress.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
After talking with Howard for a little while by email and over the phone and finding out I could get a set of his most popular custom made shocks (delivered) that are good for life at the relatively low sum of $516 (for HDF members) I went ahead and ordered a set.

I'm confident his front fork solution will be something I will crave as well but for now the rear shocks will have to suffice for me but I will be keeping an eye on what is developed.

I poured over a hundred or more posts on this forum and read almost all the way through Howard's website and others to get the education I needed to make this decision.

I'm not knocking the Progressive 440 which would be the closest thing to a mass produced competitor which Motorcycle Metal is not. Still at almost the same cost why would anyone who knew all the facts buy the 440's over the Ohlin's custom made shocks?

I also look forward to the day when he is making Softail shocks.
So. It has been a while since I wrote this and since then I have managed to get a set of Ohlins shock on my 99 FLHT. The bad news is the sag numbers are horrible. Couldn't be worse. Ironically though - it rides ok. Not great but ok.

I rate these shocks at about $250 worth. I figure they are about the same as some Progressive 412's. No worse no better.

The bad news is I spent $580 on them. I guess you can figure out from here that I would never go through that again.

It isn't that the Ohlins shocks are bad. They're not. In fact they are quite good. The problem is you need to take your bike to the shop where the shocks are built to get them set right. I went back and forth with shipping, email, and phone calls and we still couldn't get them set right. Go figure.

Yep. The moral of the story when it comes to Ohlins, Penske, or any other high end tempermental shock like these; they need to be adjusted at the shop you bought them from or have someone in your area that work out a deal with your original vendor to get them adjusted right.

Otherwise just change the oil in your stock air shocks to a higher weight or take a look at some more forgiving shocks like Progressive, Ricor, or Ikon. Ikon would be my next choice as they too are rebuildable, use progressive springs, and are far less costly than Ohlins or Penske.

Hmmm ... I wonder if Ikon would trade me for a slightly used set of Ohlins.

Last edited by BoomerBob; 01-29-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:11 PM
ADC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Progressive Suspension
Well guys, sorry for our absence on the board, we are approaching our big industry tradeshows as well as a number of new product launches and those projects have absorbed most of our time! Looking like more of the Monotube fork kits are now on the market and we should start seeing more reviews. Secret testing of the lowered version is wrapping this month and our test ride team is VERY excited with the results. (wish I could publish our product test forms!) I saw in the previous post a mention of reduction in fork dive with our kit and that continues to stand out as one of its strongest benefits. The sealed monotube damper allows for a more precise control of damping and combined with a tuned fork spring, you should also see a more compliant front end without the risk of it feeling mushy. We'll check back in as often as we can and really appreciate your interest in our work!
Hey Progressive guys. Looks like a lot of us are waiting on some info on the front fork kits. You may be able to secure some good business here if you can stay active on this post. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Another Internet expert

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
So. It has been a while since I wrote this and since then I have managed to get a set of Ohlins shock on my 99 FLHT. The bad news is the sag numbers are horrible. Couldn't be worse. Ironically though - it rides ok. Not great but ok.

I rate these shocks at about $250 worth. I figure they are about the same as some Progressive 412's. No worse no better.

The bad news is I spent $580 on them. I guess you can figure out from here that I would never go through that again.

It isn't that the Ohlins shocks are bad. They're not. In fact they are quite good. The problem is you need to take your bike to the shop where the shocks are built to get them set right. I went back and forth with shipping, email, and phone calls and we still couldn't get them set right. Go figure.

Yep. The moral of the story when it comes to Ohlins, Penske, or any other high end tempermental shock like these; they need to be adjusted at the shop you bought them from or have someone in your area that work out a deal with your original vendor to get them adjusted right.

Otherwise just change the oil in your stock air shocks to a higher weight or take a look at some more forgiving shocks like Progressive, Ricor, or Ikon. Ikon would be my next choice as they too are rebuildable, use progressive springs, and are far less costly than Ohlins or Penske.

Hmmm ... I wonder if Ikon would trade me for a slightly used set of Ohlins.
Once again Bob you have been talking crap getting the high post numbers. As per many other posts you have started on this subject, the only reason why you have got bad sag numbers is because you can not read a ruler nor can you read instructions. You claim you spent $580 for a pair of shocks but in reality you spent $496. In every one of your posts you have never told the truth which you are incapable of doing so.

You have been the only one of several hundred members who have any sort of problem with Ohlins shocks, the uncontested world leader in suspension. You did get the sag and ride corrected by me and when confronted in your posts which you admitted. You were asked by another member to sell your shocks for the money you say they are worth along with a set of nearly new Progressive 440's that you said that were wished to have. That's right Bob, you paid $496 for a set of Ohlins shocks, the same as anyone else did on this forum. That is a wholesale price and not the 2010 MSRP price of $672.

Your shocks were measured on the same bike here after I received them back from you. One of our members was present and verified the sag numbers that you are claiming to be bad. The only thing that was bad was the person reading the ruler and instructions. That is you bob. You can not read and you have no credibility Bob.

Bob, you are the reason why everyone must take what one reads and who is posting information on the internet. If anyone wishes to read your post Bob, they will find that your statements from all of your posts do not match. That is right, you can not keep your story straight. Just click on the screen name and find all posts by that person. You offer advice on suspension where you have no actual experience in the subject. You recommended shocks that you have never even seen in person. You are a really good example of what sort of person one can read on the internet and what and who one should avoid.

You are a real credit to the motorcycling community. Try and tell the truth and quit posting about something you know nothing about. If you have any sort of experience with what you claim you do (we all know what your bike looks like), post a photo with this equipment on it you are professing you know about within the next few days. Bob, show some proof of what you post and claim to be an authority on or go post in the assless chaps & fingerless gloves section where you belong.

Last edited by FastHarley; 02-16-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:44 AM
rodrocko
Intermediate

damn....threads over for the night....and i just made more popcorn

Old 02-17-2010, 09:57 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Once again Bob you have been talking crap getting the high post numbers. As per many other posts you have started on this subject, the only reason why you have got bad sag numbers is because you can not read a ruler nor can you read instructions. You claim you spent $580 for a pair of shocks but in reality you spent $496. In every one of your posts you have never told the truth which you are incapable of doing so.

You have been the only one of several hundred members who have any sort of problem with Ohlins shocks, the uncontested world leader in suspension. You did get the sag and ride corrected by me and when confronted in your posts which you admitted. You were asked by another member to sell your shocks for the money you say they are worth along with a set of nearly new Progressive 440's that you said that were wished to have. That's right Bob, you paid $496 for a set of Ohlins shocks, the same as anyone else did on this forum. That is a wholesale price and not the 2010 MSRP price of $672.

Your shocks were measured on the same bike here after I received them back from you. One of our members was present and verified the sag numbers that you are claiming to be bad. The only thing that was bad was the person reading the ruler and instructions. That is you bob. You can not read and you have no credibility Bob.

Bob, you are the reason why everyone must take what one reads and who is posting information on the internet. If anyone wishes to read your post Bob, they will find that your statements from all of your posts do not match. That is right, you can not keep your story straight. Just click on the screen name and find all posts by that person. You offer advice on suspension where you have no actual experience in the subject. You recommended shocks that you have never even seen in person. You are a really good example of what sort of person one can read on the internet and what and who one should avoid.

You are a real credit to the motorcycling community. Try and tell the truth and quit posting about something you know nothing about. If you have any sort of experience with what you claim you do (we all know what your bike looks like), post a photo with this equipment on it you are professing you know about within the next few days. Bob, show some proof of what you post and claim to be an authority on or go post in the assless chaps & fingerless gloves section where you belong.
I'm not going to get in another pissing contest with you Howard. I did not lie, I can read a tape measure, and the shocks cost me $580 with the forum discount when PayPal fees and shipping 3 times are added in.

FWIW; the shocks are feeling better now that I've got 400 or so miles on them and they work even better with a passenger with no adjustment needed.

BTW; after 38 years of riding dirt bikes and street bikes I think I've earned the right to speak my mind on a variety of motorcycle subjects.

I'm not biased I simply tell the truth as I see (or feel) it. If you can't handle it then that's your problem not mine.

Moving on ...

Old 02-17-2010, 10:53 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The previous owner of my 06 Rg had lowered the bike, front and rear, with HD stuff. The ride is awful especially 2 up.

So this year I am putting the bike back to stock height using HD 13" touring shocks and the Progressive Monotube cartridges for the front.

I should have everything installed by the beginning of March. When I do, I will post a review.

I'm sorry...I don't care how good the Ohlins stuff is...I am not paying $1000+ for suspension.

I rode across the country last Summer. Door to door was 4990 miles. It was 2 up loaded, pulling a trailer. The suspension was tollerable but my previous touring bike (02 Ultra) with stock suspension as better.

So...as mikeboztx said:
I only wanted BETTER not the all out BEST.
+1

Quick Reply: Progressive fork cartridges..