Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive fork cartridges..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:26 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marcparnes
I've had 3 different setups so far of theirs. Currently I have it back to stock. I am not convinced there is enough of a benefit in the '09 to make it worth the effort and expense. It did make it handle slightly better but deteriorated the freeway ride. They would like me to try it again but I'm not sure I'm going to. I can do it pretty fast now, within an hour, but its not easy and each time I take the chance of scratching the fender and the fairing's inner black painted parts. I just haven't decided but I hate to disappoint the engineer I've been working with. He's a really nice guy and is trying really, really hard. I don't know...

Marc
Thanks for the input...

Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I've had 3 different setups so far of theirs. Currently I have it back to stock. I am not convinced there is enough of a benefit in the '09 to make it worth the effort and expense. It did make it handle slightly better but deteriorated the freeway ride. They would like me to try it again but I'm not sure I'm going to. I can do it pretty fast now, within an hour, but its not easy and each time I take the chance of scratching the fender and the fairing's inner black painted parts. I just haven't decided but I hate to disappoint the engineer I've been working with. He's a really nice guy and is trying really, really hard. I don't know...

Marc
Marc,

What rear shocks are you using? My Ohlins are due tomorrow from Howard (having struggled against a headwind crossing the Atlantic!) and I am aware from other Ohlins owners the front forks are likely to be next up for improvement, so I have been following this thread with interest.

We haven't learned anything about Progressive's new cartridges yet, but it is an interesting and valuable thread despite that!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:15 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain

I'm running Works shocks as well. I had Progressive 440 before that but they didn't seem much better than the stockers IMO. I also ordered a set of Ohlins from Howard to see how they are. I have a BMW R1200GS with Ohlins so suspension-wise I'm kind of spoiled. The Harley will never ride like a GS with its limited rear travel but I keep trying My experience with Ohlins over the years has been that if you give them your weight the shocks often come with too heavy of a spring. This is a known problem with the GS rear. There must be something wrong with the calcs they use. I hope they don't have the same issue with the Harley shocks or I'll be changing springs out.

As far as a comfortable ride goes, the '09 forks came with updated springs and dampening specs and seems to work pretty reasonable. I'd like to get it more compliant so I'm always willing to consider something new.

Marc

Old 01-03-2010, 09:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

I'm running Works shocks as well. I had Progressive 440 before that but they didn't seem much better than the stockers IMO. I also ordered a set of Ohlins from Howard to see how they are. I have a BMW R1200GS with Ohlins so suspension-wise I'm kind of spoiled. The Harley will never ride like a GS with its limited rear travel but I keep trying My experience with Ohlins over the years has been that if you give them your weight the shocks often come with too heavy of a spring. This is a known problem with the GS rear. There must be something wrong with the calcs they use. I hope they don't have the same issue with the Harley shocks or I'll be changing springs out.

As far as a comfortable ride goes, the '09 forks came with updated springs and dampening specs and seems to work pretty reasonable. I'd like to get it more compliant so I'm always willing to consider something new.

Marc
Howard builds his Ohlins from component parts to his own recipe, so hopefully they should not suffer the problem you mention. I expect mine to be delivered tomorrow Monday!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
Howard builds his Ohlins from component parts to his own recipe, so hopefully they should not suffer the problem you mention. I expect mine to be delivered tomorrow Monday!
Yep, I'm assuming you're right. In any case, I just now emailed him to make sure that the correct springs get installed. It seems Ohlins USA ran out of springs and they won't get any more until the 15th so I'm in waiting mode. Not my most favorite place to be

Marc

Old 01-03-2010, 10:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Yep, I'm assuming you're right. In any case, I just now emailed him to make sure that the correct springs get installed. It seems Ohlins USA ran out of springs and they won't get any more until the 15th so I'm in waiting mode. Not my most favorite place to be

Marc
Marc,

That fits with what Howard told me. I asked for yellow springs, although they will be hidden behind my bags, but he could only get black at the time (early Dec). Even when they arrive I am in the middle of some other mods (it is also below freezing here) so it will be a while before I get to fit them and ride.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:09 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Marc
Marc, invoice will be sent shortly as I just opened my mail. The THEM/THEY is me. There is no THEM on Ohlins HD shocks and you only see me, the buck stops here. Unless I am riding or in the machine shop (artillery ears) and can not hear the phone ring, as soon as I see the "Missed Call" on the screen I will call you right back. These shocks are so adjustable we can make it exact until it is your version of what you think a shock should feel like. I can not guarantee I will get it right the first time but I send them the way they are right for me which usually works well. Ride is a personal perception. That is the reason why God made Blonds and Brunet's. It is what one does to cure a problem if one should arise. No I am not perfect but I can get what I do perfect.

I have posted what is inside of your forks in a Lowering my front end post here. They are not much different than what was made in late 1948 called a Hydra-Glide. I was born that year so naturally, I had to buy that fork suspension.

I said what I said in the beginning a now all are surprised. Quite possibly I may have a little experience in this field? I build the stuff and I know what it takes to make it work. I do not service those who wish to do the job passable and cheaply, I do what ever it takes to give the most discerning rider the best I know how. When "Better Than" is just plain not the same as the best in the world. I have no interest to do better than, I only strive for the best I know how to do.

I am working, well completed actually, on a suspension solution for lowered forks (I do not recommend lowering ground clearance/lean angle, get 1980's platform shoes) that will not reduce stroke.

I am finishing up my Ohlins forks conversion into a stock XR1200 with Brembo radial mount.

I 100% know I can machine in externally adjustable compression valving into your sliders as well as externally adjustable fork spring pre-load and rebound valving. I still need to source the fork springs needed for this cartridge system. The 41 mm thick & heavy fork tubes are very tight, the 49 mm forks are much better and lighter for this job. To make the externally adjustable fork spring pre-load work a new aluminum top tree must be made. I will incorporate in a fork clamp in place of the bolt through the cast iron triple tree for more rigidity and positive alignment in the corners.

Think about that for a minute, a tree that is not really connected/clamped to the tree but held in it with a bolt?

Old 01-03-2010, 07:44 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FastHarley
These shocks are so adjustable we can make it exact until it is your version of what you think a shock should feel like. I can not guarantee I will get it right the first time but I send them the way they are right for me which usually works well.
Sounds good to me, Howard. I'm anxious already

Marc

Old 01-04-2010, 04:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Hi Howard,

I just sent you an email to say my Ohlins finally landed here in the UK! Many thanks.

For the rest of you the wheel you see in Howard's photo at #117 is carbon fibre. That is to say, it is a carbon fibre Harley dresser wheel! Reduced unsprung weight gives improved ride quality....

Old 01-11-2010, 05:34 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It took me 119 posts to figure out nobody has any input on the Monotube from Progressive. Someone should have started an Ohlins thread and saved me some time.

Quick Reply: Progressive fork cartridges..