Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! tweeter pod not mounting flush with fairing

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:19 PM
blown alcohol
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Default help! tweeter pod not mounting flush with fairing

I bought a take off innner fairing from a member here for painting.

I also have the hog tunes tweeter pod. For some reason the pod will not mount flush to the inner fairing. The inner fairing is off the bike. I called HT, and they have never heard of anyone having this problem.

Will mounting the inner fairing to the bike change the shape? Because with the fairing off the pod is not close to fitting flush on the sides. Has anyone mounted the tweeter pod to the inner fairing while the fairing is off the bike?

inner fairing part# 58497-08A off of an 09 Ultra.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:53 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

More of a bump than an answer. It's been a few months since I installed the pod on my bike, but I seem to recall a similar experience with a large gap at the ends. I'm pretty sure I enlarged the mounting holes very slightly and reinstalled the pod by squeezing one end of the pod to the inner fairing while tightening the fastener on that side; then repeating the squeezing/tightening on the other side for a snug fit.

You should also check to be sure the pods speaker wires aren't creating interference between the pod and the inner fairing.

Wish I could be more definitive, but my bath tub memory tends to remember things when I'm doing them, and for a short period thereafter, then the memory is dumped and replaced with other information. Not enough RAM or hard drive capacity left in the gray cells, I suppose.

Hopefully, someone will supply more informaion.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:47 AM
blown alcohol
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I am not sure I can type what I am trying to say, but here goes...

when mounting the inner fairing on the bike, will tighten the screws down to fasten fairing draw the fairing in towards the inside (rider). Or, do you just place the inner fairing on the bike and tighten screws with no pressure anywhere to get the fairing lined up with mounting holes?

Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Loctite
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my tweeter pod on my 09' SG. It fit nice the first time around, but I think that I used a larger diameter drill bit for the two larger holes than what was recommended. (That's what happens when you work with borrowed tools.)
Does anyone know if you can paint the tweet pod/ inner fairing with success? I'm worried about the vibration rubbing the new $$ paint away where they contact.