Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Venting

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:13 PM
lightu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venting

Bought a new Street Glide a week ago. It has now had the primary case completely torn down twice, all the way to the block. First a new oil seal and race around the main shaft. It still leaks oil like a bad faucet. They don't know what is up. Tomorrow they will contact HD technical to see what it might be. So now after two foiled trips because of the leaking, with only 544 miles on the bike, the salesman said if it leaks again, we'll find you a new bike. Does anyone think I should ask for other compensation up to this point? For the loss of the bike, and for having trips cut short? I know things happen, so I'm being understanding. If it doesn't get fixed this time though, we will talk about a new machine. And does anyone have a thought on how hard I should push for a new bike? I am a bit stressed out over this whole deal at this point so my logic is a bit skewed! Thanks.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts
Default RE: Venting

does your state have a lemon law and does it cover bikes?

I'd be askig for a new one plus expenses for transferring the tags, etc.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Timex
Tourer

Lemon Law? I'd go that route if possible.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:23 PM
jdag
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the dealer has already acknowledged the potential need for a new bike I think you should pursue that...quickly.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Neggy ZRXOA 5248

That seems only reasonable to me. Let the dealer make good on that offer. He wants one more strike? Tell him in a matter of fact way without being obnoxious that you would rather he just get you a new one now. Worth a try. If not, he's got one more chance only and he's the one who said so.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mac57

ORIGINAL: Neggy ZRXOA 5248

That seems only reasonable to me. Let the dealer make good on that offer. He wants one more strike? Tell him in a matter of fact way without being obnoxious that you would rather he just get you a new one now. Worth a try. If not, he's got one more chance only and he's the one who said so.
I agree with Mac57. Sounds like they are already willing to make things right if it leaks again. Getting money for tags might be a reach but let them know how much that will cost and ask for accessories of the same value. If they are as good as they sound they should throw in some chrome or whatever with very little pushing.

Hang in there. 1 in a 1000 are bad and you just pulled the short straw. Don't get down on the product over this one bad example.

Primo

Old 07-13-2006, 10:40 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Good luck!

Old 07-13-2006, 11:30 PM
alazlo
Road Master

Been through this myself a few years ago. I was lucky enough to have a dealer that offered me a new bike after months of grief and no help from mother harley. The dealership took one out of their allocation and gave it to me. I don't think it would be unreasonable for you to ask them to absorb the cost of title transfer (there should be no taxes because it's a straight across trade) and the cost to transfer the plates, they'll be doing the title & plate transfer anyway. I think it would be unreasonable to ask to be reimbursed for your time or lost trips. It sounds like the problem is Harleys fault not the dealers and they are doing what they can to take care of you.

In my case keeping my cool and being polite about the whole situation paid off. I don't think I'd have gotten the same treatment if I'd been in there giving em H$ll all the time..

Old 07-14-2006, 04:07 AM
wldhogn
Tourer

Let the dealer give you a new bike .. heck, maybe they'll throw in an '07 if you smile purdy!

Old 07-14-2006, 07:13 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Push for the new bike!! Quickly !!

Quick Reply: Venting