Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour pak pig tail

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:46 PM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tour pak pig tail

I will apoligize in advance as I think this may turn out to be a dumb question, but here goes.

I have a 2010 Electra Glide Classic and last evening while poking around, I lifted the mat in the tour pak, and lo and behold there was a pig tail. Now the question, would that be soley for tour pak rear light kit, or can it be used for something else?, if so what? Battery tender?

Old 12-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

It can be used for lights, charger, etc. The blue wire is a switched circuit that is "on" when the ignition is "on;" black is ground, and the red/orange (?) is brake light circuit. At least that's what's on my '04.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:40 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by remike
I will apoligize in advance as I think this may turn out to be a dumb question, but here goes.

I have a 2010 Electra Glide Classic and last evening while poking around, I lifted the mat in the tour pak, and lo and behold there was a pig tail. Now the question, would that be soley for tour pak rear light kit, or can it be used for something else?, if so what? Battery tender?
Biketronics makes a nice plug-n-play power point.I paid about $30.00 for it,plugs right in and you can still add the lights.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:26 AM
thehueg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08 Ultra and when I took the tour pak liner out, all the wires seem attached to lights. Is there no pigtail on the Ultra?

Old 12-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by thehueg
I have an 08 Ultra and when I took the tour pak liner out, all the wires seem attached to lights. Is there no pigtail on the Ultra?
The OP used ther term "pigtail;" "wiring harness" may be more accurate. In either case, the harness/pigtail can be spliced or, as another poster mentioned, a pigtail/harness installed for additonal power outlet(s) inside the tour pak. Another option is to buy the parts used in the Ultra LTD tour pak for the 12V cigarette plug outlet.

The HD Air Wing luggage rack LED kit includes a Y-pigtail. The tech at the local HD dealership gave one to me that I used to power the Ultra tp lights and the HD tp spoiler. The one included in the Air Wing LED kit is not sold separately by HD, but the parts (AMP connectors, pins, and sockets) are sold by HD to make up your own if you need it.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 AM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
The OP used ther term "pigtail;" "wiring harness" may be more accurate. In either case, the harness/pigtail can be spliced or, as another poster mentioned, a pigtail/harness installed for additonal power outlet(s) inside the tour pak. Another option is to buy the parts used in the Ultra LTD tour pak for the 12V cigarette plug outlet.

The HD Air Wing luggage rack LED kit includes a Y-pigtail. The tech at the local HD dealership gave one to me that I used to power the Ultra tp lights and the HD tp spoiler. The one included in the Air Wing LED kit is not sold separately by HD, but the parts (AMP connectors, pins, and sockets) are sold by HD to make up your own if you need it.
Thanks for the correction, Harleypingman, I looked closer and it is indeed a harness rather than a pig tail.

I am still not sure how I could use it, I would think maybe Harley put it there in case I wanted to add the TP lights, but that does not sound like the company. (giving something for nothing).

Again thanks Harleypingman.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:37 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 740 Likes on 276 Posts

Well, it's not really that they are giving something for nothing; the harness becomes common to all 'Glides and as such they don't have to manage multiple part numbers at assembly. It saves them cash in the long run.