Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polishing

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009 | 12:01 PM
jorswift
|
Road Captain
Default Polishing

Anyone on here do any polishing on their bike? Im talking about with the aluminum or polish parts? Is so what did you all use to make it shine like chrome? I am thinking about doing my levers and my fork lowers. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2009 | 12:05 PM
remike
Road Master

I don't think there are any polish parts. They are all either Chinese of maybe a smattering of American.

Sorry, just had to do it....

Old 12-02-2009 | 12:53 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by jorswift
Anyone on here do any polishing on their bike? Im talking about with the aluminum or polish parts? Is so what did you all use to make it shine like chrome? I am thinking about doing my levers and my fork lowers. Thanks.
I know theres a lot of different opinions out there as well as products, but I use Turtle Wax Premium Grade Chrome & Metal polish from Walmart. It made the clutch and brake levers on my 09 EGC look like chrome. I think it's as good as anything out there. I polished a set of forks years ago to look like chrome, but you have to cut through the clear coating. it takes some real elbow grease and time. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2009 | 01:24 PM
jorswift
|
Road Captain

What all steps are involved and what is used? I have some speedies trucker polish. Do I used steal on fork legs or what? Gonna have lots of free time this winter.

Old 12-02-2009 | 01:33 PM
mfglideman
Novice

all factory aluminum forks and primaries have a clearcoat on them to keep them from tarnishing. I had a old evo that had 57k on it and the clearcoat had become chipped. long story short, you have to stip the clear off with and acid and polish with highspeed buffer and ruge. The parts have to be off the bike and its not worth the effort. I suggest you leave it alone or buy chrome if you want it to shine.

Old 12-02-2009 | 01:41 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by remike
I don't think there are any polish parts. They are all either Chinese of maybe a smattering of American.

Sorry, just had to do it....
Took a second reading but i got it! thanks for the laugh

Old 12-02-2009 | 01:44 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

Here's a thread from a few weeks ago.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...f-mothers.html
It's alot of work initially, and worth the effort if you don't want to go chrome or PC.
It does take a bit more upkeep though. Maybe a light re-polish 1 or 2 times a year.

Old 12-02-2009 | 02:30 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior

I have done my front forks, rotors and levers. First use some paint stripper to remove the OEM clear coat. Then start sanding with sand paper starting with 400 grit then move to 800,1200,1600 then finish up with 2000. Take your time and sand with each well. Use a palm sandar if you can it makes it easier. Then using a polishing wheel attached on a drill polish with either a polishing rouge or like me I used a tube of glitz. Afterwards wax and about every 6 months use brasso to keep the parts like new.

Old 12-02-2009 | 02:36 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

If it has no clear coat, use very, very fine steel wool and a good polishing compound. My favorite is a product called Brite-Shine, but I've only seen it in the midwest at certain dealers. Mother's is good, as is Simichrome, many others out there. If it has clear coat, do not acid wash it, this will only make the aluminum duller to start with! Also, I was always told to never use an ammonia based product on aluminum. Instead, work your way through the clear with different steel wools to strip the clear, then polish the same as bare aluminum. A buffer helps ease the labor, but I've done many, many parts over the winter at the coffee table.
Chrome is easier, but nothing shows the love better than a finely polished aluminum machine. Personally I am way more impressed with polished aluminum than chrome. Polished aluminum takes heart, chrome only takes money .........

Old 12-02-2009 | 03:23 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member

Simichrome works wonders!

Quick Reply: Polishing