Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Covering bike in garage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:50 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I hear awhile back that storing a bike in a unheated garage (im in WI)is not good for the motor. Is that true?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:57 PM
coolhands03bagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I throw a tarp down so the moisture doesn't come up from the concrete. I've read that some where. I also put rubber mats under my tires, just so they are not sitting on cold concrete. Does any of this help..I don't know. I just do it.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:09 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep an eye out for condensation. Last winter in Houston a lot of my chrome pitted. Wax everything.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:17 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I use a road glide zip-lock.
(no. I do not cover my bike inside a BUILDING!)
I can't even spell annel.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:25 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by reghar01
I was just wondering how many of you cover your bike in the garage. I purchased a used street glide and it came with one of those cheap blue and silver covers. My garage is insulated, but not heated, in a cold Wisconsin climate. I noticed rust underneath the drivers floor boards and I don't want to have a moisture issue. Could this have been a result of that cheap polyester cover which may or may not be breathable? Thanks guys.
It could be due to your cover. I'd get a decent one to eliminate whether it is or isn't the cause. I cover mine, and don't have any condensation issues. It's the HD indoor cover. Might look into one of the full cycle shields, or the HD 'bubble'.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 AM
NHSPMCU
Cruiser
Thumbs up I agree

Originally Posted by Aslan
I've been using a cheap blue and silver cover I picked up at Wal Mart years ago. I have never had a moisture problem and my bike is in a garage like yours in New Hampshire. I don't know if we get as cold as your state but we get pretty cold.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:36 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my 1200 count Silk sheets to cover my bike and man if sheets could talk. lol BTW, the sheets cost me over $600 bucks and a bike cover is only $100 bucks, My wife almost killed me.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:54 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FFeric
I hear awhile back that storing a bike in a unheated garage (im in WI)is not good for the motor. Is that true?
Depends on the location I suppose. If it's constant sub-zero weather, then probably not good. It's the start that would cause the strain in very cold weather IMO.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mhud
I cover mine with a couple of old sheets just to keep the dirt off and to insure the dang cat doesn't scratch it. Never had a moisture issue. My garage is not heated but it stays in the 50s during the winter months.
Bingo!

A king-size fitted sheet works perfectly for in the garage - keeps the darned cat from hurting anything and keeps the dust off. Every few weeks run it thru the washer... A cheap and easy way to keep the bike covered and no moisture issues at all with a cotton sheet.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Correia
Novice

I aways use the HD cotton cover on my bikes. Oh yes...don't forget the kiss before sleep.
Greetings from Rio de Janeiro

Quick Reply: Covering bike in garage?