Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Covering bike in garage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I throw an old quilted comforter over the tank/seat/bags and then cover it with a bike cover. More so to prevent any bumping with other objects.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:06 PM
ENTERPRISE
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the blue and silver cover from w-mart.have had no issuse,

Old 12-01-2009, 07:08 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comforter would be good in case something hits the bike it would protect it.King size sheet will keep the dust and fade off the bike.I use blue and silver cheapy and it has been great.I have centerstand that takes weight off the tires as well as the bike taking up less room,

Last edited by T K Glider; 12-01-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:11 PM
binkman78
Club Member

A good coat of Mothers Chrome polish first

Old 12-01-2009, 07:17 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

I use the HD cotton indoor cover and have never had an issue with moisture. You may want to add some Stabil or SeaFoam to your fuel to keep moisture out of your tank.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:19 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain

Have the black cotton cover for indoors. Store in an unheated garage in MN. Never had any rust on either my '03 RKC nor my '07 Ultra. Winterize the bike and have put it on a lift to get the tires up... don't know if I really need to do that though.

I have a cheap light weight that I sometimes use on trips to keep condensation or rain off when outside. I like the idea of using the cotton (used a sheet until I got the HD cover for Christmas couple of years ago.) that breathes for an extended storage.

You said you bought your bike used. Did it already have rust? It's possible it was ridden during the winter after they salted the roads. You can get salt in a lot of places when you ride on those roads and that can lead to rust/corrosion.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:24 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a cotton cover that I sometimes use. I do get moisture with those outdoor covers. Defnitely do a full winterization before you put the bike to sleep for the winter.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I cover the Ironhead with an old bedspread. I cover the RKC with a HD cover that is now obsolete. It is cotton canvas on the outside, but has fake sheepskin on the inside with aluminumized heatshielding on the inside bottom. It likely weighs 15lbs. Both do a great job of protecting the bike from dings/scratches....Cover my car, too, with a custom fit cover that is pretty thick.

Attached Thumbnails Covering bike in garage?-covers.jpg  

Last edited by xxxflhrci; 12-01-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I throw a sheet over mine but I'm looking for a beautiful naked woman instead.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:39 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by reghar01
Sounds good, I'll put the cover on and call it good. I also purchased a HD battery tender and since my bike was already pre-wired, it was an easy hook-up. All fluids were changed so I should be good to go. Just wish Winter here wasn't so long - I just bought the bike two weeks ago and didn't get much of a chance to drive it yet. All it needs for Spring is a new windshield and more comfortable seat for the wife.
Don't forget the Stabil in the gas tank. Put the appropriate amount in, and the fill the tank as full as you can, right up to the top, and make sure you've run some stabil through the system before you shut her down for winter. Instructions are on the bottle. WallyWorld best price.

Quick Reply: Covering bike in garage?