Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Advice removing inner fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Terminator69
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Advice removing inner fairing?

Hi got an inner fairing painted to match my bike (Thnks again Vtwinbmx). Well i got up the ***** to start switching it out tonight, My question is about removing ignition switch housing. I got the top off and now I'm at the part where it says, use the ignition switch alignment tool, Is this tool really nesesary or is there another wat ro get it off? Also any hints, secrets to doing this job are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ahead, Todd

Old 12-01-2009, 05:40 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Label all wiring when taking each off. The tool is not necessary as long as you don't move the ignition once you have it off. Even then it can be fixed with a flatblade screwdriver.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:50 PM
cdesero
Tourer

Iam thinking about painting my inner fairing also.
So lets hear some more tips and tricks on removing and replacing the inner fairing please....

Old 12-01-2009, 06:40 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cdesero
Iam thinking about painting my inner fairing also.
So lets hear some more tips and tricks on removing and replacing the inner fairing please....
Label all the wire's as Dawg said, use a service manual and also use a digital camera to help remember were it all laid.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Terminator69
Road Master
Default inner fairing

Hey guys thanks for the info, Anyone else done this and have tips? Any help greatly appreciated. Todd

Old 12-02-2009, 12:20 PM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Todd,
Did you save my PM with the step by step guide? I tried to type it out nice and clear. If you need to give me a call and I can try and talk you threw it

Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 PM
GKstreetglide
Advanced
Smile

I used a plastic organizer to place the screws for each step of the removal (seperate compartments for each) as I worked my way through the steps in the service manual. Label all the wires/plugs and digital pictures helped as well. It took me about 3 hours, not including the trip to the dealer for a new support bracket as mine was broke.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Buy a couple of the brass ferules used to secure the throttle and idle cables. They are cheap and easily lost when disassembling/reassembling the throttle grip.

You can reuse the gasket along the right and left side of the inner, but purchasing new ones isn't expensive and they're easy to replace.

If your bike is a few years old, you can replace the rubber gasket(s) below the headlight on the inner fairing.

I used small freezer bags to hold groups of fasteners with a note with what they were used for to make it easy to reassemble.

Remember to give the painter the small, black plastic bezel that goes around the idiot lights along with the inner fairing and fairing cap to paint. If you notice the 2010 CVO Ultra, HD didn't paint the bezel--foolish oversight IMO.

With the inner fairing removed, it's a good time to lube the clutch/throttle/idle cables.

If you have fairing mounted mirrors, have the painter do those as well, just don't paint the part on which the mirror swivels for adjustment.

If you have been considering a Hot Tunes Hog Pod, get it now and have it painted to match. It's a nice add-on.

Cover the fender and gas tank.

USE THE SERVICE MANUAL.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:08 PM
mkbrower
Cruiser

Here are my tips

1. Remove the radio, the service manual doesn't say to but it makes putting the new fairing on a whole lot easier. Get a ball end allen wrench to get to the bolts.

2. There are only three screws that hold the speakers in. One hole requires the short screw and a long screw will screw right through your fairing making you cry like a whipped school boy. Make sure the right screw goes into the right hole.

3. The center indicator bezel can be installed upside down. The bezel contains your turn indicators, high beam etc. Check your indicators before closing everything up to make sure.

4. The clutch safety switch is easily broken so be very careful when removing the clutch cable. If your bike will only start in neutral and the security key flashes, then you broke the switch.

These are the mistakes I made when I replaced my Inner fairing.

Mark

Last edited by mkbrower; 12-02-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Terminator69
Road Master
Default inner fairing

Hey Guys, I got the radio removed last nite, I think the only thing I have left is the cables on the clutch side and the throttle side, I needed to get a retaining ring tool. I got to the point in the manual that says " Do not remove the switch housing assembly with out firdt placing a 5/32 inch cardboard insert between the brake lever and the lower bracket. removal without the insert may result in damage to the rubber boot and plunger of the front stoplight switch." I have reread this 30 times and can't figure out what the hell they are talking about? Thanks again for your time. Todd

"

Quick Reply: Need Help Advice removing inner fairing?