Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O.K. I give up! What's the trick?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:02 PM
tommarbru
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.K. I give up! What's the trick?

Am trying to put new front pads in my 08 RK. I have done brakes many times before but not on my RK. Have read all the "hints" in the forum and also in the factory manual. I did the shoelace cleaning routine for the pistons but now no matter what I try I can't get the outboard piston to retract enough to clear the rotor with the new pads installed. I have tried opening the bleeder on the caliper to release the pressure but still "no go". Anything I am missing? I even tried putting the old pads back in and using them as a fulcrum while prying in the gap with a large screwdriver. The piston will not retract. Any ideas?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:07 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tommarbru
Am trying to put new front pads in my 08 RK. I have done brakes many times before but not on my RK. Have read all the "hints" in the forum and also in the factory manual. I did the shoelace cleaning routine for the pistons but now no matter what I try I can't get the outboard piston to retract enough to clear the rotor with the new pads installed. I have tried opening the bleeder on the caliper to release the pressure but still "no go". Anything I am missing? I even tried putting the old pads back in and using them as a fulcrum while prying in the gap with a large screwdriver. The piston will not retract. Any ideas?
Have you tried a C-clamp and your old brake pad to "press" it back in?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:59 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I use two wide putty knives that I've sharpened on my bench grinder so that the blades will slip right in. If you have problems on just the front, just pull the entire caliper off and it's much easier to do. I feel your pain cause I've been there before. Patience is a virtue. Try taking the lid off of the front master cylinder.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:04 PM
tommarbru
Advanced

Not enough space for a c-clamp!

Old 12-01-2009, 04:46 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tommarbru
Is the top of the master cylinder resevoir off? Could you have the wrong pads? I think I just pushed each piston in by hand. I think I had to go back and forth a couple times but I don't remember any trouble.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Click HERE and download Howard's good writeup on it.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:01 PM
amckay63
6th Gear

+1 on Howards write up.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Click HERE and download Howard's good writeup on it.
I just checked out Howard's writeup, Excellent! I saved it for future use. Thanks Dawg!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM
tommarbru
Advanced

I have seen Howard's write-up before but it does not deal with "how to retract the pistons" after you compress the brakes to do the cleaning. The pistons simply will not retract no matter what I have tried. The only thing left for me to try is to dismantel the entire caliper and see what is preventing the retraction.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Great writeup. Much better than the service manual.

Quick Reply: O.K. I give up! What's the trick?