Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio and Speaker Installtion

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Cyclemedic69
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio and Speaker Installtion

Hello All,

I've just purchased a 2006 Electra Glide Standard. Got a great deal on it but it is the absolute bare bones model. Picked up the Harmon Kardon radio and some Hog Tunes speakers to install.

My question is once i remove the fairing and attempt the install do i need any additional hardware (screws or brackets for the speakers? wiring harness?) or should everything be all set back there.

Sorry if these questions seem terribly basic. Brand new to this and just looking for some advice.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Last edited by Cyclemedic69; 11-30-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:31 PM
bldap
Tourer

Not sure about the 06 but my 07 EGS had all that was required to install an aftermarket headunit and speakers. The Biketronics speakers did have their own grill that replaced the grills already installed. Would think you would be good to go.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:09 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

That depends on what came with the Harmon Kardon radio when you purchased it. I installed a Sony Xplod and needed to purchase an install kit (Hawg Wired) that included a bezel, bracket and wiring harness. I also needed an adaptor in order to use my handlebar controls. Most 5.25" speakers will fit with no problems.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

You shouldn't need anything for the HK installation. The plastic tray that's in the opening is held in place with four screws. Remove the tray and install the HK using the four screws to secure it to the fairing brackets.

The bike has the wiring in place. There's a large 23-wire connector that plugs into the back of the HK and it will only go in one way.

Not sure about the speaker installation. There will be speaker adapter rings that the speakers attach to and are secured with three screws (two long, 1 short) even though the speaker will have holes for four screws. You probably re-use the screws that are already there. Mount the speakers so that the spade terminals (male) are on top. The bike's wiring harness has the speaker connector terminals and they too will only install one way.

Don't know if the Standard comes with an antenna cable or not. Many prefer in-fairing antennas--TuneTrapper, Dakota Digital, J&M, etc.

Suggestion: Buy the HD service manual for your bike. It has all the information you need for this and other projects you will likely undertake, as well as wiring diagrams. Buying a used bike, you can never be sure that something wasn't altered by a previous owner.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Cyclemedic69
Novice

Thanks so much for replies. I appreciate the help.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Skip
Road Captain

FLHTs come with the antenna cable. One for my 2005 was tucked under the seat or in the left side cover. Can't remember

Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Cyclemedic69
Novice

Thanks Skip

Old 12-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Skip
Road Captain

Should also have said that the radio end of the antenna was under the fairing. It was tied in a bundle with the radio harness.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Jday53
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont forget the spacer rings that go between your fairing and speakers

Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Cyclemedic69
Novice

are the spacer rings already there if there were no speakers there to begin with or do I need to head to the HD dealership and purchase these? This bike has never had a radio or speakers.

Quick Reply: Radio and Speaker Installtion