Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:12 PM
2of2
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cruise Control Install

I have my cruise control kit on the way thanks to LSHD. I did a search and came up with some general information regarding the install process. I am looking for more information from others who have done this already. Any tips or tricks? Anything to look out for? Any advice? Comments?
Thanks

Old 11-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

With an electronic throttle that the 08's have, it should be a whole lot easier than the cable models like my 07. I installed mine and I didn't think it was that big a deal. I also installed new handlebars and ran my wiring inside if the bars.

Just follow the directions that come with the kit and get a service manual if you don't have one.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:44 PM
2of2
Road Warrior

I have a manual. It was the first accessory purchase for my bike, and the best investment made.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:07 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2of2
I have my cruise control kit on the way thanks to LSHD. I did a search and came up with some general information regarding the install process. I am looking for more information from others who have done this already. Any tips or tricks? Anything to look out for? Any advice? Comments?
Thanks
just got my cruise kit from lshd and installed on sunday..super easy install ..only pain in the *** is the ignition switch removal and install,,,finiky bugger sometimes it goes easy and other times hard..just try not to move anything after pulling the switch **** out,other than that its a cake walk..
p.s mine also on a 08 flht

Old 12-02-2009, 07:28 AM
2of2
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fathertime
just got my cruise kit from lshd and installed on sunday..super easy install ..only pain in the *** is the ignition switch removal and install,,,finiky bugger sometimes it goes easy and other times hard..just try not to move anything after pulling the switch **** out,other than that its a cake walk..
p.s mine also on a 08 flht
thanks. that's encouraging. I have had my outer fairing off several times but have never had the switch panel off. I am thinking about adding an accessory switch to the remaining blank while it is off. I would like to hook my garage door opener to it but I need to find a momentary switch that matches the stock rocker switches. Has anyone seen it set up this way? I know that I can use a stock odometer push button switch but would like to find one to match the rocker switches. any ideas out there? thanks

Old 12-02-2009, 11:52 AM
classic53
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a cruise last year and IT IS a great accessory. It went on a 07 electra glide classic. The biggest problem I had was trying to determine which hole the wires went into the connector. I couldn't figure out left from right. Even the manual didn't show that. But I somehow got it right. Don't ask me how. Other than that, take your time and keep your cool.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2of2
thanks. that's encouraging. I have had my outer fairing off several times but have never had the switch panel off. I am thinking about adding an accessory switch to the remaining blank while it is off. I would like to hook my garage door opener to it but I need to find a momentary switch that matches the stock rocker switches. Has anyone seen it set up this way? I know that I can use a stock odometer push button switch but would like to find one to match the rocker switches. any ideas out there? thanks
I used a odometer Reset switch for right now so can only control one door, but am getting ready to order the power lock switch, It is a momentary switch that has 2 positions so should be able to work 2 doors. It matches the other switches in the fairing, just looks like you have power locks on your bags. I figured out which contacts activate the remote, I soldered some leads to it and put in a quick disconnect plug so I can change the battery. The remote is Velcro'd in under the switch cap and works great.

The part number should be 71764-07 for the power lock switch I think this one is around $30.

I already ordered the combo spot/cruise switch on the CVO since I did not want to lose my garage door opener when I install the cruise.