Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide to Road Glide - Anyone Done It?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wide Glide to Road Glide - Anyone Done It?

I love my 2006 DWG. It's truly one of a kind. I recently rented a Road Glide in Vegas and fell in love with the ride. My stealer is offering me a killer deal on a trade-in for a 2010 with a matching tour pack on the passenger seat and so the dilemma begins...

Anyone moved from a Dyna (or specifically a Wide Glide) to a Road Glide? Thoughts? Any gotchas with the 2010 Road Glides? I'm a self maintenance guy. Any issues servicing the touring models?

Any insight appreciated.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:06 PM
fripple
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it, you won't regret it! I went from a Night Train to a RG. Love every minute of the RG.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:11 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make the switch ASAP! You'll wonder why you ever waited so long. Though I would suggest the Ultra over the Road Glide. Rent one and do the comparison for yourself. Good luck with your decision, either way you'll love the touring bikes.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Cyphilis
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've rode a lotta different bikes, and the 2010 Road Glide is the nicest I have ever rode. Which is why I had to have one. Do it, you won't regret it for a second.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraTheo
Make the switch ASAP! You'll wonder why you ever waited so long. Though I would suggest the Ultra over the Road Glide. Rent one and do the comparison for yourself. Good luck with your decision, either way you'll love the touring bikes.
Thanks, man. I've rented both and I found the ride to be pretty equal. I like a modern look and the bat wing doesn't do it for me. I know plenty hate the shark nose too though.

One thing I noticed was that the touring bikes felt a bit sluggish compared to my WG - even with the 96 versus my 88. I do a lot of 500-700 mile per week rides and the comfort at speed seems well worth the trade-off

Old 11-30-2009, 01:55 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 02 FXDWG3 CVO bike..in 5 years I rode it 9k miles...my 08 SG just turned 11500 miles. I ride more than ever.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by timberland
I had a 02 FXDWG3 CVO bike..in 5 years I rode it 9k miles...my 08 SG just turned 11500 miles. I ride more than ever.
I bought my WG in Sept 06 and have 30k miles on it. I can't imagine riding the RG any less...probably more since I can carry my test equipment when I travel.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

I rented a '09 RG back in April, ended up costing me $20K before the month was over

Word of wisdom, don't rent the RG unless you want to buy one. After the rental weekend, that was all I could think about. You will be very happy on the new ride.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:02 PM
rayers
Intermediate

I rode a 2001 Low rider for 6 years, I loved that bike til I rode a 2008 RG. I bought the RG and figured that I would keep both, one for running around and one for longer trips. After riding the RG for a couple of months I jumped on the Low Rider - It was like going from a cady to a pinto. I sold the low rider within the week.
Once you buy a RG you will not turn back. I ride my RG anywhere and everywhere.

Good Luck..........

Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 PM
DougM
Tourer

Scott, we had some dealings in the past for chrome lower legs from my Street Bob. I traded it for an '09 RG in April and have never looked back! I loved the Dyna but the RG is much more comfortable. You may look for an '09 instead of 2010. You'll end up changing the windshield on either one. The 2010 doesn't come with cruise control. You'll definitely want that! Also the 2009 comes with passenger floorboards that are much appreciated by your passenger. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Wide Glide to Road Glide - Anyone Done It?