Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Paks's on Standards

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:09 PM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tour Paks's on Standards

I have a FLHT Standard, I like the looks of it over the Classic ( no tour pak ).
But several times a year I do a road trip and thought of getting a tour pak with quick release.

Question:

I like the looks of the 'Chopped' tour pak over the regular one ( same price ).
My question is, has anyone bought the chopped and later wished they had gotten the regular one ? I believe the height difference is 4 inches, that is alot of space ( another weeks worth of tee's <grin> )

Any thoughts? regrets ?

Old 11-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are only going to use the tourpak for trips buy the full size tourpak. I put a full size tourpak on my Streetglide that is quick detach and love having the storage space. Yes the chopped tourpak might look a little cooler but the extra luggage space in the full size is well worth it IMHO! My tourpak rarely comes off anymore once you get used to it.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:18 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I wouldn't ever leave home without one. ............... The big one!

Old 11-30-2009, 12:24 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Scubamike
If you are only going to use the tourpak for trips buy the full size tourpak. I put a full size tourpak on my Streetglide that is quick detach and love having the storage space. Yes the chopped tourpak might look a little cooler but the extra luggage space in the full size is well worth it IMHO! My tourpak rarely comes off anymore once you get used to it.
I agree. If you're buying it just for the added storage on long trips, get the one that's holds the most goodies!

Old 11-30-2009, 12:51 PM
blackflhx
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

same as they have said..I have a Street Glide with the Chopped pack and yes it might look a little better than the King, but for the amount of time it is used and what it is used for I would get the King pack if I could do it over again.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:00 PM
wattspd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know that they were the same price. Half the space at the same cost. That sucks.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

The wife loves the BIG ONE!!!!!

Old 11-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

You could buy the razor tourpak new in 09 which is even smaller than the chopped and it is almost the same money. Would work good if you wanted to deliver pizzas or carry a laptop but that is about it. But to each there own!

Old 11-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Trixboomer
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a King tour pak on my FLHT with quick disconnects. I know of two guys that I have done miles with, that were wishing they had a full pak over the chopped versions they had.

The extra room makes all the difference.

Trix

Old 11-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Benito
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

To shed a little different perspective, I never considered the King Tour Pak for a Street Glide, b/c I could not get over how unattrative it looks to me, on a Street Glide. I bought the removeable Chopped Tour Pak over the King Tour Pak for my Street Glide, for four reasons:

1. Better/sleeker looks
2. Lighter weight/less top heavy at the rear/ equals better performance all around.
3. If my storage requirements exceed my storage space, then I'll take a car...
4. If I had purchased the King Tour Pak, the misses would always want to ride w/me, and sometimes a man has to be solo, to unwind, for no other reason, but to recharge the batteries. The King Tour Pak is just that much more comfortable than the Chopped Tour Pak, for the passenger.

If I had purchased any other Touring model besides a Street/Road Glide, I would have opted for the King Tour Pak...

BTW, I ordered the rear spoiler w/stop light, b/c the chopped Tour Pak does not come with any lighting. This is a great safety feature...

The above is just my two cents.

BB

Quick Reply: Tour Paks's on Standards