Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Nuvi 750 Portable GPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:45 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Garmin Nuvi 750 Portable GPS

Just ordered the Garmin nuvi 750 Portable GPS from Walmart for $157. Been cotemplating getting a GPS for a while, Saw the Nuvi 750 and it looks like a decent unit. I especially like that I can hook it into my HK stereo, takes an SD card, has a built in MP3 player and has spoken street names which will come out of my HK stereo.

I currently have a CD with 150 songs but I like the idea that I can add a 4 or 8 GB mem card and bring a few thousand songs. I tried playing my MP3 through the HK stereo but it is hard to mount on the bike, see what's palying and change songs while riding. With the 750 I can see whats playing and change songs via the GPS unit. I also like that it will interupt the music with a dircetion and then resume playig my tunes.

There are many times I'll be riding in Arkanas/Oklahoma/Missouri/Texas/Louisiana and see a rode that looks jnteresting but never took it for fear of getting lost in dueling banjo country. Now with a GPS I'll be able to take the less traveled rodes. I also like that I can preplan a route and load it onto the GPS.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:10 PM
THABULL
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the 1 I have and use in the big truck , haven't got a mount for the bike yet! Been a pretty good unit so far!

Old 11-29-2009, 08:18 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 750 is not waterproof, The least amount of water or moisture may ruin it. The mount is not designed for bike vibrations and could come loose from the mount without warning.

The best GPS for bikes is the Garmin 550. It's waterproof and has a very secure cradle locking device, designed for the outdoors and bike vibrations. Also comes with a auto mount. You can use your PC to plan a route, then load it into the Garmin 550.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=414&ra=true

On the 750 you can only do a route pre-plan trip using the GPS itself, you can not pre-plan from your PC and load into the Garmin 750. All you can do from your PC is load additional POI using the Garmin POI installer, or different vehicles from the "Garmin garage".

Just a heads up, I went down this same road. I use my 750 in my car and now have a 550 on the bike.

Steve

Last edited by SteveO; 11-29-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:25 PM
2of2
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My brother just ordered one for the same reasons. His buddy has had one for a couple of years and has had no problems. Been in severe downpours and has not failed. Sounds like a good buy.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 711 Likes on 353 Posts

One thing to check before you go out and buy an 8 gig card...make sure it's compatible. My Streetpilot will accept nothing bigger than a 2 gig card.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:30 PM
EricW
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been very happy with the 660. Comes with both mounts so it is one button push to switch between bike and car. Has lots of great features. Good luck in your shopping. EW

Old 11-29-2009, 09:59 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SteveO
The 750 is not waterproof, The least amount of water or moisture may ruin it. The mount is not designed for bike vibrations and could come loose from the mount without warning.

The best GPS for bikes is the Garmin 550. It's waterproof and has a very secure cradle locking device, designed for the outdoors and bike vibrations. Also comes with a auto mount. You can use your PC to plan a route, then load it into the Garmin 550.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=414&ra=true

On the 750 you can only do a route pre-plan trip using the GPS itself, you can not pre-plan from your PC and load into the Garmin 750. All you can do from your PC is load additional POI using the Garmin POI installer, or different vehicles from the "Garmin garage".

Just a heads up, I went down this same road. I use my 750 in my car and now have a 550 on the bike.

Steve
I know it's not waterproof but it seems like quite a few folks here use non MC GPS' without a problem. I will put a sandwich bag over it or take it off the bike if it rains and get a RAM mount. I just can't justify the $ they want for the Zumo's. I thought I read somewhere that you can preplan a trip and then load it onto the GPS. If not that's ok too. For $150 it will keep me from getting lost on the less traveled roads and will allow me to bring along a bunch of music.

Originally Posted by stro1965
One thing to check before you go out and buy an 8 gig card...make sure it's compatible. My Streetpilot will accept nothing bigger than a 2 gig card.
I'll check it out thanks. Even if I can only use a 2 or 4 gig card it will still hold plenty of music. I think I read that it will handle higher capacity cards but it may take longer for the system to boot up.

For $150 it sounds like it will do everything I want it to do and then some.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:02 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by EricW
I've been very happy with the 660. Comes with both mounts so it is one button push to switch between bike and car. Has lots of great features. Good luck in your shopping. EW

What type of mount did you use?

Old 11-29-2009, 10:14 PM
slankard
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered the Garmin Zumo 660 from Amazon.com ($190 cheaper than the HD branded Road tech 660). My question is how did you route the wiring cable? I will mount it on the handlebars for now. Can you believe that HD sells the 660 but it does not include a mount for a motorcycle!!! It is a $40 extra!! The GPS was $150 cheaper plus $40 for the mount. The Zumo does not include the HD dealership POI but for difference in price I can live without that option. (plus I have the HOG atlas that includes the HD dealership locations)

Old 11-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the 750, you already know more about it than I do.
I use a Ram mount that goes on the mirror stem. It ain't falling/vibrating off the bike.

Quick Reply: Garmin Nuvi 750 Portable GPS