Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Nuvi 750 Portable GPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:53 PM
DLW_FLHTC
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrank
I have the Zumo 550 I wired it using a West Marine weather resistant cigarette lighter adapter. That is so much simpler than running the wire down to the battery.

As for the POIs what a waste to get the HD unit theres nice people out there that will do that work for free. Here is where I got mine from. Hasn't failed me yet.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=58075
+1 on both recommendations

Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

OK...the skinny on my Nuvi 760.
I have a 8GB SD card installed on it to listen to music. I have about 450 songs and it is about 1/2 full. I listen to the stereo OR headset by using an 8" adapter cable from any radio shack or best buy.
I also can link my cell phone to the GPS and listen through the speakers OR head set
to any phone calls. I can speak into the GPS and be heard, but sometimes my voice may sound like an 'echo'. The party on the other end is clear as a bell. Bottom line is if you are waiting for a call...you can at least answer the damn thing. The phone call will interupt any music that is playing. For the price of a Garmin 750/60 series or even the Nuvi 255....cheap GPS equipment!
It will open up a new world to motorcycling for you. Ride down any road you want to...don't know where you are and are ready to go home? Press the "GO HOME" button.
You are riding with a group and you get stuck at a redlight...no more worrying about catching up to the pack because you don't know the directions (most of the time! LOL).
But like was said, the Nuvi models are not water proof, but I have been in allot of rain...and maybe mine is better than others? For under 200 bucks...I would use a Nuvi again. No problem with gloves. If the sun is to your back..you may have to occasionally shield the screen with your hand. Al in all, not so bad.
With any 'touch' screen though.....you might want to pick up some of that stuff at radio shack that protects the screen from scratches. My screen is showing its age from pressing the same spots over and over again.

chuck the mensh

Old 11-30-2009, 09:35 PM
fasteddiee122
Cruiser

check out burwellfabricating.com they look like great mounts i have been eyeballing them fo a while just havent ordered one yet .

Old 11-30-2009, 10:33 PM
THABULL
Road Master

Originally Posted by bfrank
I have the Zumo 550 I wired it using a West Marine weather resistant cigarette lighter adapter. That is so much simpler than running the wire down to the battery.

As for the POIs what a waste to get the HD unit theres nice people out there that will do that work for free. Here is where I got mine from. Hasn't failed me yet.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=58075
I got a ? , I'm a truckdriver and have the 750 , one of my fellow driver keeps a SD card updated in his file for us to upload to a custom POI file on our GPS's. Put the SD card in , save file and remove! When I down loaded the HD dealers POI and put it on my GPS I no longer have the custom POI saved off the SD card. How do I save both custom POI files on my GPS!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:15 AM
EricW
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
What kind of mount you using there? (Just bought a 755T)
OEM mount that came with it. Just click the head out and a weather sealed cover in. Also came with a nice hard storage case for the head. Have a good one. EW

Old 12-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Go to zumoforums.com
register, it's free...while most is aimed towards the Zumo, you can download Harley Dealers POI for free along with a ton of other POIs.
Also The POI factory has a lot of free downloads of different POI's.

Also go to the Garmin web site for info on all GPSunits ( waterproof, downloadable routes etc...)

3.5mm male to 3.5mm male plug is what you'll need to hook to stereo...Radio Shack.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:18 PM
wctom
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SC_Compact
I had read with the bigger SD cards the unit takes longer to boot up. Do you find this is true. I am thinkig about a 8 GB card?

Do you need to download any special software to load the Mapquest routes?

TIA
I find it does take longer to load from power up, but I'm powering it up before I even get my helmet on. Punch in where I'm going, clear the trip log, max speed, all that stuff.. It's ready long before I'm ready.

I'm sorry, I misspoke about MapQuest..I meant MapSource..get it from Garmin. Plan the route and send it right to the unit.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saving this for later.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:32 PM
rc9636
Cruiser

I just ordered this mount for my 750 http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/ram-b-252-ga26.htm . It has a tab on it for mounting and I am using the hole where the mirror mounted (I have the fairing mounted one now). I'd recommend getting the 1.5" as the
3" will kick it up too high. And Hey it was only $40 dilivered.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a NUVI 760 and have run it on my '03 Heritage and now my Ultra. Not one issue. Pouring rain use a sandwich bag. Light rain not an issue because of the fairing. I've used it all types of weather so don't believe the "it's not water proof " stuff. There are things you can do be creative. Vibration has also been a non event. Operation with gloves on? Not a problem. 5 years no problems and I use it in my truck when it's not on my bike. Fits right into my shirt pocket for finding my way around on foot. Just my .02

Ratkiller

Last edited by Ratkiller; 12-02-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Garmin Nuvi 750 Portable GPS