Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV with 2 maps AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010 | 12:26 PM
ncbeast
Road Master

[QUOTE=iclick;6205571]You can't use more the two maps without adding the LCD Display unit, which I don't think has been released yet for the PCV. I really don't think you need more than two, as the only time I've had cooling issues is in summer traffic, not while on the freeway. The oil cooler helps greatly, so if you don't have one you might need to adjust your leaner map a bit richer for summer riding. Do you have an oil-temp gauge?

Thanks ICLICK, no I do not have a temp gauge or cooler. Everything is stock right now. I just remember last year when I went to FL from NC it was in the high 90s and after several hours on the interstate my thigh was roasting but got great mpg - 306 miles on one tank and 313 on the other before the light came on. So I was just wonder if it was possible for a third one. I could always do as you suggest and richen up the lean one for hot summer interstate riding in June, July and August and have another interstate one for the rest of the year. Just would have to manually upload twice a year wich I am sure is a pretty quick and easy process if you have the map saved.

Old 02-05-2010 | 05:01 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
To load 2 maps to your PC-V here are some basic instructions. Hardware wise all you have to do is wire any open/close style switch to the #1 and #2 terminals on the PC-V unit. To set up your maps in the software you will use the following procedure. Connect your PC-V to the USB cable and open the software, go to Power Commander Tools/Configure/Map Switch and check "enable map switch". Once this is enabled when you retrieve or send a map you will have the option of sending it to map position 1 or map position 2. You can now load the appropriate maps and send them to the position you desire. Also note in the software on the left side you can left click on any of the data channels and change it to read "current map" To verify your switch is working simply toggle the switch back and forth and note that it will change from map 1 to map 2. For reference, map 1 will be an open circuit and map 2 will be the closed circuit.
How does dual maps work if you're using an AutoTune?

Old 02-05-2010 | 05:04 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
For those contemplating this, be sure you have disconnected any 12V source to the switch. The PCV wants only an open or closed circuit with no ties to the bike's 12V system. To wire it, unplug the connector near the ACC switch under the switch panel, then connect one PCV wire to the orange wire and the other to the orange-red wire. When in the "on" position (toward the LED on the switch ****) the switch will be closed and "off" is open. Note that the LED will not function because there is no 12V source. I added a second ACC switch since I'm using the original for heated clothing.

Also note that when using a PCV with no Auto-Tune, you can switch between two different maps. With Auto-Tune you can only switch between open- and closed-loop using one base map. With AT I did it by creating a base map based on Fuel Moto's richer settings in the Target AFR tables. You do this by simply riding the bike through all ranges, like on a long day ride. After doing that I clicked on "Accept Trims" to create the new base map, then changed the Target AFR settings in the cruise range. For my bike the cruise range is between 2000-3000 RPM @ 5-15% TP. So, when in closed-loop mode (AT working) it is using the leaner targets in the cruise range and when I switch to open-loop (no AT) it is using the base map (richer).

If you're running a PCV with no-AT you can alter the values in Fuel Moto's map in the cruise range, starting by cutting them in half. I also tapered it a bit on both sides--i.e. in the 2% and 20% columns. You can go further and lean it even more, and on my '07 before adding AT I had mostly 0's in the cruise range, which gave me about 14.6:1 AFR's. That's right at stock specs and will run a bit hot in summer traffic, which is why you're using a switch and going through this to begin with. With an oil-cooler my bike runs no more than 205° oil-temp as long as it is moving, up to as high as 230° in heavy traffic. I try to anticipate these hot-running situations by flipping the switch early, as switching to the richer map will not instantly reduce oil-temps. Instead, it is a slow process and it helps to have it in the richer map well before you get into the traffic if possible.

For the basic PCV I would use the Fuel Moto map for your richer map (call it Map 1), then change only the cruise range for the second leaner map (Map 2). You can then run Map 2 most of the time, as it will run lean in the cruise range, but rich like the first map at TP's above 40%. So when you roll it on you'll be running with the same optimal settings outside the cruise range as with Map 1. When you get into traffic just switch to Map 1 to cool it down. For AT, change the Target AFR tables only in the cruise range using the same rationale as above.

It's hard to describe this process, so if any of this isn't clear drop me a reply.
How well would the unused aux power switch on the Road Kings work for this?

Old 02-05-2010 | 05:47 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ftanner
How does dual maps work if you're using an AutoTune?
With the basic PCV (no-AT) you can switch between two maps loaded in the PCV. With AT you can toggle between open- and closed-loop mode, which if done right can accomplish the same thing.

I created a base map based on Fuel Moto's richer Target AFR table, then after accumulating good trim tables I applied "accept trims" (from pull-down menu in PCV software). The next step is to change the Target AFR's to leaner values, so in closed-loop mode it will trim to those specifications. When you are running in closed-loop you are running the leaner settings, in open-loop the richer ones.

Old 02-05-2010 | 05:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ncbeast
Thanks ICLICK, no I do not have a temp gauge or cooler. Everything is stock right now. I just remember last year when I went to FL from NC it was in the high 90s and after several hours on the interstate my thigh was roasting but got great mpg - 306 miles on one tank and 313 on the other before the light came on. So I was just wonder if it was possible for a third one. I could always do as you suggest and richen up the lean one for hot summer interstate riding in June, July and August and have another interstate one for the rest of the year. Just would have to manually upload twice a year wich I am sure is a pretty quick and easy process if you have the map saved.
IMO all TC engines should have an oil cooler installed. That will go a long way in controlling peak oil temperatures, and you can then run stock or near-stock Target AFR's most of the time, even in summer. I can, anyway, but YMMV. My oil temperatures at freeway speeds never exceed about 205° in summer, and it's only in slow-moving traffic that it creeps above that, rarely as high as 230°.

Old 02-05-2010 | 06:16 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ftanner
How well would the unused aux power switch on the Road Kings work for this?
The ACC switch on a RK works the same as an EG, and it should be wired to the connector under the seat. To use it with the PCV you'll need to remove the 12V source. You should see two black wires go into the four-pin connector near the switch, so pull the connector and connect the PCV wires to pins 1 and 4. If it were me I would cut the wires (not too close to the connector), install blade connectors, and connect to the PCV that way. Of course if you want to go back to stock you'll need to splice the wires back together or buy a new switch and/or harness. Double-check continuity on the switch with a VOM. Polarity is not an issue, as the PCV sees only an open or closed circuit. Remember, you must release the switch from any 12V source.

I'm basing this info on my '07 service manual, but it should hold true for other year-models since I don't think that switch has changed since 1996.

Old 02-05-2010 | 10:59 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

*** Deleted double-post ***

Last edited by iclick; 02-06-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2010 | 11:29 AM
BCguy
Road Captain

Anybody know what the mileage difference is between a stock map and a FM 'richer' map? Just curious.

Old 02-06-2010 | 02:15 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by BCguy
Anybody know what the mileage difference is between a stock map and a FM 'richer' map? Just curious.
If by "stock map" you mean a stock bike without a PC, the difference could be 10% or more. With the right tweaks to the PCV map mileage should be comparable.

Last edited by iclick; 02-06-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2010 | 10:45 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

Actually I'm trying to understand why you want or need to run two different maps - one leaner than the other as I understand it. If the reason is to improve gas mileage then what difference are you looking at? How many more mpg's will running a second, 'leaner' map give you? If you're talking 1 or 2 mpg then it hardly seems worth all the bother.

Quick Reply: PCV with 2 maps AGAIN