Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV with 2 maps AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010 | 11:39 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by scottdoege
I would also like the option of switching between two maps.
I'm amazed at how many PCV owners aren't using this feature. I think it is an important function that most users overlook or perhaps don't even know about.

Everyone has been awesome on this forum.... this forum is like crack!!! I can't stop reading and reading is causing me to buy more upgrades for my bike!!
Apply for your second mortgage loan now before you need the money, because you will if you keep reading here.

Old 02-04-2010 | 02:05 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

As I understand this, you would run a second, leaner map for long distance cruise situations to increase fuel mileage. Is there any other reason to do this? I have my new PCV on the way from Jamie so this is interesting.

Old 02-04-2010 | 05:00 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by BCguy
As I understand this, you would run a second, leaner map for long distance cruise situations to increase fuel mileage. Is there any other reason to do this? I have my new PCV on the way from Jamie so this is interesting.
I use my leaner map about 99% of the time, switching to the second richer map only when it is very hot outside and I know I'm going to be in slow stop-and-go traffic. For me it isn't needed at all in cooler weather, like 80° or less. OTOH if you don't have an oil cooler installed you would probably use it much more often. I think the two go hand-in-hand for a complete solution to cooling issues. That said, there are times in summer when my oil temp hits 230° and EITMS (heat mgt.) kicks in, as oil temperature stays reasonable on the road moving at 45mph or more.

Old 02-04-2010 | 09:11 PM
cosshog
Tourer

Ok I have a question since we are talking about the PCv. What if any is the advantage to the rev extender?

Old 02-04-2010 | 10:37 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by cosshog
Ok I have a question since we are talking about the PCv. What if any is the advantage to the rev extender?
It allows the engine to rev to 6250 rpms instead of the previous factory limit (5200 or whatever). I almost never go past 4500 rpms, so the benefit for me is nil.

Old 02-05-2010 | 07:11 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks for the help guys.... what a great team HDF has.... ride safe...

Old 02-05-2010 | 07:32 AM
ncbeast
Road Master

I am getting a PCV soon as well and wanted to do 2 maps, 1 really lean and hot for millage and one really rich and cool for power and traffic. Reading through this thread makes me wonder if there is a way for a third map? One in-between both of these that could be used on long trips but in the middle of a hot summer. I know you could get a rocker switch and have 3 positions, forward (1), middle (2), and back (3). But can the PCV do that? I doubt it but just thought I would ask. I guess in this situation on a hot day on a long interstate trip you could just flip it to the richer map for a while and then back to the lean map for milage.

Old 02-05-2010 | 07:41 AM
NoKenDo
Road Master

Just jumping in to subscribe.
Thanks for the info.

Old 02-05-2010 | 11:12 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ncbeast
I am getting a PCV soon as well and wanted to do 2 maps, 1 really lean and hot for millage and one really rich and cool for power and traffic. Reading through this thread makes me wonder if there is a way for a third map?
You can't use more the two maps without adding the LCD Display unit, which I don't think has been released yet for the PCV. I really don't think you need more than two, as the only time I've had cooling issues is in summer traffic, not while on the freeway. The oil cooler helps greatly, so if you don't have one you might need to adjust your leaner map a bit richer for summer riding. Do you have an oil-temp gauge?

I know you could get a rocker switch and have 3 positions, forward (1), middle (2), and back (3). But can the PCV do that?
No, it sees only an open and closed circuit--i.e., off and on--thus only two options.

Old 02-05-2010 | 11:52 AM
rodeking
Tourer

Originally Posted by ncbeast
I am getting a PCV soon as well and wanted to do 2 maps, 1 really lean and hot for millage and one really rich and cool for power and traffic. Reading through this thread makes me wonder if there is a way for a third map? One in-between both of these that could be used on long trips but in the middle of a hot summer. I know you could get a rocker switch and have 3 positions, forward (1), middle (2), and back (3). But can the PCV do that? I doubt it but just thought I would ask. I guess in this situation on a hot day on a long interstate trip you could just flip it to the richer map for a while and then back to the lean map for milage.
You can only use one map or the other, not three. I have AT and carry a small solid state computer so that I can alter my AFR's and or ignition timing as needed. I also have several MAP's in the computer that I can load to the PCV if desired. I am one of the PCV/AT people who have never had the time to add the switch, but will do so before spring.

Quick Reply: PCV with 2 maps AGAIN