Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax vrs PCV autotune

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:05 AM
warrenrl
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thundermax vrs PCV autotune

I am new to the site. There is allot of great information to be found. What are yalls opinion on the thundermax and pcv auto tune? I have a 2010 SG and trying to decide which one I want or to just go with the PCV without auto tune. I live on the texas gulf coast and never change altitude while riding. Thanks

Last edited by warrenrl; 11-29-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:39 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will discover both work equally well providing you first start with proper base map.

The Tmax is a total ECU replacement and costs more. It does not piggy back on your factory ECU so there is no latency issues concerned and it tends to be slightly more responsive to quick throttle flicks...It also has extreme depth software that allows you lots more flex in tuning if you have the time and ability for all that.....BUT being a total ECU replacement, it can leave you stranded should it fail, whereas the PCV can be unplugged and you can limp home.

If you are the average rider, go with the PCV A/T where you will save several hundred bucks and be very happy. If instead you are the wrencher who is forever changing to bigger bores and cams and heads who seeks the ability to tweek to the finest atom of performance, then spend more for the Tmax.

The Tmax A/T is designed more for the all out performance guy who might decide to go big bore and stage 3 heads with radical cams......The PCV A/T is more for the typical guy who selects off the shelf aftermarket stuff and expects good nuff results and total reliability but it too can be dyno tuned to equal the Tmax.

Both do a great job.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Tmax advertises for all models; but, when you go to the site there is a caveat that states not for the TBW bikes....in other words can't use it on the baggers unless you switch over to cable throttle.

I had the Tmax on my 2007 SG and I was happy with it.....big difference in power when switching from the fuelpak.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:23 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Out of those two I'd get the PCV w/autotune. Jamie @ FuelMoto makes frequent visits here and his customers are VERY happy with the way he conducts business. Those guys @ FuelMoto are easily accessible and from feedback in the forums put the customer priority. I had a TMax and hated it. New map support sucked.

Don't forget to look at the TTS Mastertune...........excellent product as well.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Tmax advertises for all models; but, when you go to the site there is a caveat that states not for the TBW bikes....in other words can't use it on the baggers unless you switch over to cable throttle.

I had the Tmax on my 2007 SG and I was happy with it.....big difference in power when switching from the fuelpak.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:52 PM
oinker02
Banned

Yes, the Tmax is not for everybody and it has yet to support all bikes. I am very lucky that I have a scoot where it does work well. Zippers lags well behind when it comes to making changes. Dynojet and their PCV and similar productas always lead, but Zippers manages so far to eventaully catch up and then exceed them.

Even tho I own and run a Tmax, I'm all for the dynojet PCV A/T and the way they react sooner to model year changes and offer many more USUABLE maps.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Dewky
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TTS is cheaper and IMO, better.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:23 PM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewky
TTS is cheaper and IMO, better.
No it isn't.

TTS is nothing more than HD's older SERT. TTS is in fact HD's SERT because TTS once produced SERT for HD. TTS and SERT are both not auto tune devices and they both require you strap your scoot to a dealer or indy dyno and they both run closed loop and both use narow band OEM 02 sensors. Neither the TTS or HD SERT manage to adjust themslf to varing loads and changes like other autotune devices.

Please keep your replys on topic. We here in this thread are discussing wideband autotune devices, not narrow band stuff like SERT. We are discussing PCV vs Tmax There is no comparision, nor will you manage to make any.

TTS inc has the ability to produce a wideband closed loop solution, but to date they have not. The OEM ECU that TTS and SERT is based on CAN handle closed loop wide band manipulation, but HD refuses to allow it due to EPA regulations.

We here must accept that HD cannot by law offer us what we need to unleash full potential from our scoots....We must instead rely on the aftermarket.

Last edited by oinker02; 11-29-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:42 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by oinker02
You will discover both work equally well providing you first start with proper base map.
T'max reportedly requires a very close map initially but the PCV will auto-tune with anything, even a zeroed map. Of course the closer the map to optimal the quicker it will auto-tune.

The Tmax is a total ECU replacement and costs more. It does not piggy back on your factory ECU so there is no latency issues concerned and it tends to be slightly more responsive to quick throttle flicks.
What "latency issues" will you have with the electrons flowing at nearly the speed of light? Whatever lag that might be measurable would be a matter of nanoseconds and could never be translated into the audible response of the throttle.

T'max also has no knock-sensing capability, and with the PCV you retain the bike's stock ECM features including MAP and knock sensing. T'Max uses some MAP functionality but not all.

If you are the average rider, go with the PCV A/T where you will save several hundred bucks and be very happy. If instead you are the wrencher who is forever changing to bigger bores and cams and heads who seeks the ability to tweek to the finest atom of performance, then spend more for the Tmax.
I'm not sure I see where you'd have a performance disadvantage with the PCV since it is tunable ±100% in 1% increments for AFR and ±10% in 1% increments with ignition advance. It also has the ability to impose offsets for gears, speed, manifold vacuum, head temperature, and any analog input. Most riders won't need this functionality, but if they did will T'Max do this?

The Tmax A/T is designed more for the all out performance guy who might decide to go big bore and stage 3 heads with radical cams......The PCV A/T is more for the typical guy who selects off the shelf aftermarket stuff and expects good nuff results and total reliability but it too can be dyno tuned to equal the Tmax.
I must disagree totally and would appreciate some examples of how the T'Max might be a clear winner for the performance-minded owner. T'max is a competent device but I don't see a clear functional advantage with it over the PCV-AT, and the latter has features T'max doesn't, like the ability to toggle between two maps. I don't know how the new-generation T'Max works for TBW bikes, but those with the earlier version have reported issues, mainly with properly tuning ignition advance.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:45 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by yardstick991056
T'Max is now available for TBW models.

Quick Reply: Thundermax vrs PCV autotune