Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Compensator Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:28 AM
onionfmr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SE Compensator Questions

I've been following threads on the subject for quite awhile. Looking to do a few mods to the '07 Ultra this winter. This mod. is high on my list. Before I make the jump, looking for some additional feedback from individuals that have made the mod. It appears that most are very happy with this upgrade, the only negative that I have read is that it may be a little noisier than OEM compensator. Any negatives after the upgrade and any issues that I should know beforehand with the install, since I will be doing it myself? Thanks in advance - Ted.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no extra noises on mine, less noise actually.
I do have a smoother ride.
Been to Sturgis and back with plenty of local miles too. Great improvement.

Cons? Mine was a pain to install. I wished I had removed the inner primary because I had plenty of surface grinding to do to get the old one to clear the inner primary while removing it. That was with all the bolts removed from the inner so it can move around. Royal pain. (But worth it).

This was on a "B" motor, your results may vary.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:52 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I place the SE comp on my REQUIRED list and feel HD should have made it OEM just like IDS and a third link.

I think those who don't swap to it will eventually experience starter and/or ring gear problems due to the extreme shock loads generated when starting their engines.

No, you should not expect higher noise levels once installed. Instead, expect no-knock starts and no chattering when lugging along at slow speeds or attempting to take off when headed up steep ramps.

Depending on your accumulated mileage and how you drive your scoot, you might decide to also replace the whole clutch assembly with SE stuff while you are in there.

The SE compensator isn't just a performance part, it is a shoulda-been-there from the start item.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:44 AM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by onionfmr
I've been following threads on the subject for quite awhile. Looking to do a few mods to the '07 Ultra this winter. This mod. is high on my list. Before I make the jump, looking for some additional feedback from individuals that have made the mod. It appears that most are very happy with this upgrade, the only negative that I have read is that it may be a little noisier than OEM compensator. Any negatives after the upgrade and any issues that I should know beforehand with the install, since I will be doing it myself? Thanks in advance - Ted.
I had the SE comp assembly installed on my 08. What a huge improvement, as stated previously it should come stock on all bikes. I have no negatives on this upgrade.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:02 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I installed the SE comp a few months ago while my primary was apart for a tranny mainshaft-bearing replacement. Had it not been apart I probably would not have made the upgrade since I really had no major complaints about the stock comp, and the starter knock everyone complains about was not an issue for me. The tech who was doing the warranty work on the bearing was high on the SE comp and advised me to make the change since there was no cost to me except for the part. These were back-ordered everywhere at the time and my dealer had one in stock, so I saw that as devine providence that I should grab it. Sometimes one must grab the gusto when in presents itself.

I haven't noticed any additional noises since installing it, and if you count the lack of starter knock I would have to say it is quieter overall. Also, the drivetrain seems to be smoother with less clunkiness in shifting. I could've lived without it but under the circumstances I'm glad I made the upgrade.

Last edited by iclick; 11-29-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Boxs
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, its a great upgrade. As far as installation- have your locking tool
ready and be prepared to grind a little off the inner primary. In my case it
didn't take much grinding and the aluminum is soft so its not a huge PIA.

Good luck, it will be worth it.

Boxs

Old 11-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Haul Ass
Intermediate

My 07 Roadglide has 62000 miles on it and had the transmission main bearing fail in Co(I'm from TX) at abot 50000 which cost me dearly. Since then the noise in the primary kept getting worse and the clutch action was jerky and noisy. Loud clicking sound when riding next to a wall. I was about to replace the clutch when I ran into this forum with the compensator issue. I replaced with the SE part and did no clutch work. No more starter bang or engine reverse runs. Clutch is smooth with no jerking. I did grind the inner primary with a head porting tool, no sweat the aluminium is soft and it is not that much to remove. Lots of chips though, helps having a compressor.
This cored almost all the ills on the bike, never had the noisy 5th gear. Much improved smoothness and quieter primary. The parts I took out were realy wasted, spring loose, chips out of the shaft extension and sprocket, and bad brindeling and chipping in the flat surfaces.
Hope my observations help you decide. Mine is high mileage so yours might be different.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:53 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Added one to my RG a couple months ago. Getting rid of the "bang" when it starts is nice, but the real imporovement is the smooth take off. Really makes a difference. Plan to add one my Dyna.

These ought to be stock...shame on HD

My buddy did mine in his garage, took maybe 2 to 2 1/2 hours total. Looked easy to me (watching)

Old 11-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Curious, what is this "starter bang", or the "reverse engine starts" mentioned in this thread? In spite of experience with numerous bikes, and close to 100K on my current scoot, not aware of these problems.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:27 PM
racerdave
Cruiser
Question

Where do you have to grind in side the primary for this, and why? Pics would be great.

Quick Reply: SE Compensator Questions