Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried to buy Harley FLHT today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009 | 04:13 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

This has to be a regional thing ?? I bought my demo 09 FLHT in late August. It had 1200 miles on it (1k check completed), cruise and denim black. I paid $15,200 + tax, title and reg. I think I wrote the check out for $16,175 I then got 20% off all of my genuine H-D accessories.

Old 11-28-2009 | 04:51 PM
marsolais
Advanced

I don't fight with the dealerships. I look at the MSRP then whatever the tag is over I get in services and upgrades. Most of the time I will let them think I am going to do the loan with them. Then when they try a screw me I tell them that I will be bring a check for what is on tag. That is when they start dancing. It all depends on the day. I have to deal with enough arguing and **** on a daily basis, so I don't feel like doing it when I buy something.

Old 11-28-2009 | 05:15 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
Thanks to everyone who replied. Sounds like no set-up/freight fees is fairly normal to ask and $1500 off MSRP - B.
Must be regional that you are buying bikes under MSRP with no set up or freight. When I bought my Street Glide in August non of the dealers I called in Washington or Oregon were willing to negotiate the price at all. Granted at least out here the 2009's were gone and the 2010 models released the week I started looking. Of the shops I called, they were universally up front that they were MSRP dealers period and freight and set up were not going to be deducted either. After making many calls the "best" offer was only $600 less than the local dealer and it didn't seem worth the effort to drive ten hours round trip to save $600. They did install the security system at no charge (I paid for the parts).

Did I get the best deal, not from reading some of the threads on the forum. Could I have bought used and saved some, possibly but I decided I wanted a new bike so I that is what I bought.

Now it is time to personalize it some more over the winter. It has already been too long since the last ride...

Good luck on your search.

Old 11-28-2009 | 05:53 PM
1999E-Glide
Cruiser

I was trying to make a deal on an 08 Street Glide about 2 months ago from local dealer here in Nashville. They had a price on the bike, I wasn't going to trade mine in I was going to let my brother have it and pay me notes. I would have to put a little with it each month to make the difference and was going to get the loan through my credit union. I had an approved check from the credit union with THE MOST I was going to pay for that bike. I got that sick feeling in my stomach, we were still about $800 off and he wasn't going to budge. I told him I could get a bike as nice of Craigslist for less money but I buy my parts there so I would like to buy the bike there. And in his exact words "WE DON'T MAKE OUR MONEY OFF THE BIKES. THEY ARE JUST A HASSLE WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH. WE MAKE OUR MONEY FROM MOTORCLOTHES, PARTS, AND SERVICE" my jaw dropped. I got on my bike and rode home. **** on the dealers. If they keep on they will be just like GM. Thats why I drive a Ford and Ride my paid for bike. Neither of them costs your grandkids that aren't born yet tax dollars.

Old 11-28-2009 | 07:50 PM
k&j eglide
Tourer

First of all, original post said that H-D was offering a $1000 gift card on 09/10 bikes. I was just in my local dealer this afternoon and didn't see anything like that advertised. I also just looked at H-D's national web site and didn't see anything there either. Tells me the gift card is a local deal only. Dealers don't tend to give those incentives away on top of multiple other discounts. BTW, I've been an quite a few dealerships in the last year in several different states. The best deal I've been offered on an 09 was MSRP OTD. That deal was made to me last June by a Michigan dealer and I haven't seen any of the left over 09's for less. No matter what you think the economy is doing, the dealerships I've been in are holding their ground on price because they are getting it.

Old 11-28-2009 | 07:59 PM
gtrplyr
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
First of all, original post said that H-D was offering a $1000 gift card on 09/10 bikes... gift card is a local deal only.
That could be my fault. Last two shops I have been in during the last week both told me there was a gift card given with purchase of new 09/10 bike. Maybe I thought something that was not true... must be a local thing, sorry.

Old 11-28-2009 | 08:04 PM
brockstwrt
Tourer

I paid msrp + ttl, no setup or other bs fees for my 10. The local dealer has always been a msrp dealer no matter what time of year. I hope you find the deal and bike you want. Cruise was the only option I wanted so when I found one without security and abs that was worth something to me. Good Luck

Old 11-28-2009 | 08:06 PM
nedster
Road Master

I have been to the dealers around my area, no 09 touring bikes left.Have not seen any in a couple of months. Maybe a few street bobs or soft tails.

Old 11-28-2009 | 08:25 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member

While riding today, I stopped in my local dealer. The floor is loaded, 09's and 10's. There isn't any more floor space. Nothing is moving.

Old 11-28-2009 | 08:34 PM
Wes10RG
Tourer

You offered them a reasonable offer but most dealers seem to be unreasonable. I rode to Tulsa, OK on Tuesday to trade my 07 for a 2010 FLTRX with cruise, ABS and security. I was able to get the bike with no freight or set-up and got another $500 for my trade over what I had expected.
None of the 5 dealers I spoke with in the DFW area would budge. All wanted MSRP plus freight and set-up. You should be able to get a good deal on a used 09.

Quick Reply: Tried to buy Harley FLHT today...