Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried to buy Harley FLHT today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009 | 02:33 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

I bet they will call today and if they wont finalize the deal today it will happen tomorrow or Monday. The reason: End of month quota goals. Monday is the last day of the month. They probably want one last chance of the Sunday window shopper.

Old 11-28-2009 | 02:33 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Definately no Freight or setup charges. Didn't have any on my 09 or I would have walked.

Old 11-28-2009 | 02:36 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior

I figure that you were already planning on waiting till spring anyway, so that puts you in the drivers seat on making a deal over the winter. Pick the bike you want and start contacting all the dealers within your comfort range. Get your deal in writing in exchange for a deposit over the phone. If you can live with more than one color, that will seriously increase your odds.

Also, it sounds like the bike you are looking at does not have ABS. Something to seriously think about IMHO.

Old 11-28-2009 | 02:52 PM
gtrplyr
|
Road Warrior

Thanks to everyone who replied. Sounds like no set-up/freight fees is fairly normal to ask and $1500 off MSRP - makes me wonder if I should have offered $16500 instead of $16000 as that would be $1500 off? When I first talked to the dealer last night, they quoted me $19060 for the bike before all the fees and taxes... I almost fell off my chair. That's 1k over MSRP! They then offered me a "deal" by offering MSRP. No thanks!

Its funny that I have been looking for about a year deciding what model bike I want (last bike was a Yamaha RoadStar) and now that I was ready to deal the dealer is not. Personally I feel that $1500-2000 off MSRP with no fees plus a gift card is a reasonable deal on a bike that is leftover from last year and in-light of the economical situation we find ourselves in.

As per ABS... I would prefer ABS but it just turns out that the bike I was considering didn't have it and since I have never owned an ABS bike, I am not sure if its a "deal breaker." If this deal doesn't happen I will most likely be looking at some Street Glides and would prefer ABS.

If anyone comes across a 2009 FLHT in denim black let me know.

Thanks,
B.

Old 11-28-2009 | 03:23 PM
gene01
Road Captain

You know what, i went to the dealer that I buy a new bike at every year, we had a deal efore the 2010 ultra classic limited came out for delivery, they re****ed on the deal, they went up to msrp plus, I told them goodbye, they called me a week later, I had already purchased a 2010 ultra classic limited out of state.... they said that going out of state was not good that I should have paid more to deal with them(Ha!!!) i said that in the future I will be buying my parts and my bikes out of state, I am looking for the best deal for me from now on..... I always paid more to make sure that we had a good relationship so that they would still be in business when I needed warranty work or whatever..... I can fix anything on my bike, why pay them more than I can get it for when they do not treat me fairly? I saved over 1,000.00 off msrp, got 2,600.00 more for my trade in got a gift card for 500.00 and saved sales tax of about 1,600.00 registering it in Montan where I bought it (no sales tax there) that was a total savings of 4,700.00 all they had to do was sell me the bike for 1,000.00 less and I would have bought local as I had for the past 6 purchases with them.... they lost, I won... I am ok not dealing with them and saving money.

Old 11-28-2009 | 03:41 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
It seems to me (lightly said that is) the best deals are up north.
Down here -southern Tennessee and north Alabama/Georgia- They are being hard headed. Which is strange right now.
Hold your ground but I would also look at slightly used.

I was going to trade up to a 2010 ultra limited but no one wanted my business.

I paid $18,800 OTD for my 07 Ultra and no one is willing to any where come close to that now.

hang in there you will find a deal.

dd
found this to be true around a month ago. local dealer wanted around $3000 over msrp plus plus for a 2010 ultra so I came home and sent out emails to every dealer within a days drive from home. Out of the 6 or 7 emails I got back 2 dealers wanted less than msrp for the otd price I called the local dealer back to give them 1 more chance. they said the best they could do was $2000 over msrpfor otd and that there was no way a dealer could sell me that bike for that price. so I picked the closest 1 (1.5 hours from home) and went and spent my money. Just as a side note the shop I bought from was a little different as they carried other brand bikes also not just HD.

Old 11-28-2009 | 03:42 PM
RKC2010
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mnskip
Sorry, but this is about $2000 more than the OP offered. I would stick to your guns and stay with your offer. $1500 under MSRP for a 09 FLHT is about right no matter where you live.

I hear you, but that's not reality. Everything I've seen personally and on forums is the dealer is going to get MSRP. However, you can get deals on your service and parts. That's where you are going to save a few bucks. One more thing everyone needs to keep in mind. If dealers start slashing prices on bikes, the resale value goes down also. That's the great thing about Harley's, they have great resale value. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about getting a deal, but there are two sides to every coin. I do not want to see the resale value of Harleys start to look like other bikes. Also, the question was is this a fair price. I think MSRP with incentives on parts and service is a fair price. I wouldn't let a few bucks keep me from getting the ride I want, but everyone has to decide what's fair and what's not. Come spring time and a rebounding economy, what few deals you see now will be gone. That's my opinion anyway.

Old 11-28-2009 | 03:46 PM
JnT4Life
Tourer

Originally Posted by RKC2010
I do not want to see the resale value of Harleys start to look like other bikes.
Have you looked on Craigslist lately?

Old 11-28-2009 | 04:04 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by JnT4Life
Have you looked on Craigslist lately?
Sad but true!!!Guys are giving these bikes away!!!..Dint see where you are from but come up north...times are tough!!!!.If you found the bike you like,Look around and you will find the bike you love!!!!.Stand your ground!!
P.S. If you have your HEART set on this bike,P.M. DAWG,HDF member and i think he can locate other dealers for you.....

Last edited by riteway; 11-28-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2009 | 04:08 PM
johnu
Cruiser

Monday is the 30th...last day of the month. The owner wants deals to pay the bills.
Get your dollars lined up a sheet of paper so you know where you want to be and walk back in Monday for a last chance November deal.
btw...get on the phone and find one elsewhere and tell'em a deal will be done elsewhere.. are they on board for a relationship...of course they will tell you never to darken their door for service if you buy elsewhere. Ask them to put that in writing.

Last edited by johnu; 11-28-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Tried to buy Harley FLHT today...