Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Run Around Any Help????

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:49 AM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Warranty Run Around Any Help????

I purchased my new bike with many aftermarket upgrade parts at the time of sale and was told they would all be covered by the two year warranty. The heated grips were a special order item and the selling dealer told me that they could be installed by any H-D dealer and be covered by the warranty. Since they were special order and I purchased my bike several hndreds of miles away I had the grips installed at a local H-D dealer here close to the house.

They have since quit working and took them in for repair and was told that since they were not installed by the selling dealer they are not covered by the warranty. Was told this by the selling dealer also NOW! They state they have spoke to SPOK and that is what they are telling them.

There was also a recallon these grips but I was never notifed about it as all other manufacture's have to do! Whats up with that?

Do any of you know the system of this warranty delima or any ideas to get the grips fixed? Close to $500 to do it again don't want to do that.

Any all input greatly appreciated.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:12 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

At a minimum,i think they have a 90 day waranty.This probly does not include labor.

Did you ask the installing dealer about the warranty when installed?

Old 11-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats B.S.!!!!!!!!! Another perfect example of no CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buddy just had his FIFTH set replaced!!! AND HE INSTALLED THEM HIMSELF THE FIRST TIME...........Get them wet and there junk!!! Been waiting for the ones on my Limited to go out...........

Old 11-27-2009, 10:29 AM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure to talk to the GM at the dealer where you bought your bike and let him know this will be a deal breaker on any future purchases from jeans to bikes. Your local dealer may be pissy you bought your bike somewhere else, talk to the gm there and make sure you let them know the same thing. I have only played this card once (at a dealer 100 miles away, not the local dealer) and they made it right. It was a zipper on a jacket. I am lucky to have a good relationship with the service manager at the local dealer and he always tells me honestly what is and isn't under warranty. Good luck and make sure you let everyone know what happened right or wrong. I might not want to get a t shirt there when i'm passing through.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:37 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I think that the selling dealer told ya wrong when he said that they could be installed by any H-D dealer. I would go after him!

Old 11-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your reciept. Were the grips invoiced on the original bike purchase reciept?
That would surely be some ammo to go to small claims court with. While there I would ask for time lost from work to follow through with this.

Let the GM of the selling dealer know first, incase he wants to settle beforehand and save you both some trouble.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:47 AM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
At a minimum,i think they have a 90 day waranty.This probly does not include labor.

Did you ask the installing dealer about the warranty when installed?

Yes I did ask the selling dealer that specific question and they told me any dealer could install them. I am waiting for the selling dealer to get back to me to see what the owner may be willing to do. I have bought two bikes from this dealership in Santa Barbara and a whole host of other crap!

It is just ashamed that all of the dealers have this attitude that you did not buy it from me so the hold a grudge! Service and warranty work has to be their bread and butter espeially in this economy. But I am getting this from the selling dealer also who told me differently at time of sale!

Old 11-27-2009, 10:50 AM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Your reciept. Were the grips invoiced on the original bike purchase reciept?
That would surely be some ammo to go to small claims court with. While there I would ask for time lost from work to follow through with this.

Let the GM of the selling dealer know first, incase he wants to settle beforehand and save you both some trouble.

Yes I have the original reciept records that show the purchase and the work order from another dealer showing the install. Thanks for the help

Old 11-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fall 2009 "Enthusiast Shop Talk" my local dealer sends me says Under the title "Make the most of your dealership experience" it says: "Have you recently purchased or are you considering the purchase of a new, previously untitled Harley-Davidson or Buell motorcycle? If so, you have until 60 days after the sale to take advantage of Custom Coverage to get an extended warranty on new, dealer-installed street-legal P&A - at no additional cost.The Custom Coverage program grants you a 60-day grace period after the date of purchase of any new, previously untitled Harley-Davidson or Buell motorcycle to buy and have your dealer install additional Harley-Davidson or Buell street-legal accessories for coveerage under the remaining 24-month/unlimited miles of your vehicle warranty."
I know this program and the dealer installed, street legal P&A warranty has been in effect for at least 2 years now. You would think alot of these dealers are out to get us and we are the ones who put bread on their table.
A couple of years ago this same flyer said if you don't use their oil it would void your warranty. Then the next issue I got had an even bigger article retracting that statement. It said they were in error. It's hard to believe anything the MOCO tells you anymore.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on the heated grips they are crap. Buy heated gloves they will last alot longer. Everyone I know that purchases those heated grips has nothing but problems with them, that is probably why they don't want to warranty them it will be a constant replacement for them.

Quick Reply: Warranty Run Around Any Help????