Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding, Learning and Living Large

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Terrific Pacific
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Riding, Learning and Living Large

I got my RKC on 18 June and put 3400 on it up until the first week of October. Then the rains hit here in Oregon on the coast. Plus my work load picked up...so riding has been limited to a few miles here and there.
Then yesterday I got finished with a job early, and I own the company...so I sent the crew and myself home early. Got changed into my gear as quickly as I could and gave the bike a quick dusting and wipe down, then hit the road. It was 3:00 and 66 degrees.
I dressed warm and even stuck my jacket liner and zip on ear muffs for the helmet in the bags. I also picked up my 13 yoa son's gear into the tour pac so I could pick him up after B-Ball practice.
My son's school is 20 miles away...unless you take the scenic route. Six miles west to the coast then south for 20 miles along the beautiful central Oregon coast...hit the fog and the chill was coming on. In Waldport I hooked a left onto one of those winding River roads all over Oregon...This one hugs the Alsea river for about 60 miles, rising up into the Coastal Cascade Range hugging the base of Mary's Peak...the tallest of the small coastal range with a snow cap about 6 months of the year. The further I went on this road...dwarfed by the tall fir and alder trees I wound in and out of valleys and tree tunnels. It was getting cold.
After 40 miles I pulled into the village of Alsea, middle of a beautiful nowhere....Alsea's claim to fame is that it has more males, per capita, serving, or having served in Iraq and Afghanistan than any other place in Oregon. I stopped at the one stop-all things store. They have bait, hunting supplies, hardware of all sorts, farm supplies, livestock feed, internet access, deli, bathrooms, swap board and groceries. They also had some $1.49 cotton liner gloves that I picked up to knock the chill out of my hands along with a Starbucks double shot for the road. Came out and put on the gloves...did I mention I was getting cold?
I drove a couple of miles down the road and the sun was mostly behind the mountains now, I was fully on the east side of the beginning of the range now and the temp must be about 45. I pulled over next to the road within sight of one of Oregon's historic Covered Bridges, located about 500 yards away....I zipped in my jacket liner and also attached the ear muffs to the helmet...wished I had my camera...
I made it past Mary's Peak and headed into two miles of hairpin curves all marked 15 to 35 mph....I did maybe 10 over the whole way...I was surrounded by Old Growth Fir. Giant sentinels of the landscape, many well over 100 feet tall and as big around as a Volkswagen..the smell was intoxicating...the ride through...while taking it easy was still as invigorating as if I had pushed for the adrenalin on the switchbacks.
Out of the turns I came up behind a farmer pulling a small trailer full of who knows what doing about 45 mph, I still had about 15 miles to go but backed of about 5 seconds behind the farmer and soaked in the scenery. Coming out of the curves earlier, I saw the unmistakable shine of a motorcycle light about a mile behind me...coming up fast....about 30 yards behind me now an I am prepared for a crotch rocket blow by...but for some reason he slowed and stayed behind me...maybe paying respect to my speed or just wanting to see a RKC from the tailpipe side....
Highway 34 ends in a Y...east or west onto hwy 20. I hit the west bound lane and the red and white crotch rocket into the east, toward Corvallis and the OSU Beavers..one game away from the Rose bowl... I turned and gave a low wave...he pointed and gave a thumbs up. I gave one back..what the hell.
Now it is 40 miles home, but first a stop at my son's school about halfway to watch some Jr. High b-ball workout...they won their first game the other day after only a single win all of last year..good stuff. This section of highway is newer than all the rest of the road and is pretty straight and good pavement until Eddyville where the school is. After that it is 20 miles of turns, hills and narrow road...one of the most accident prone in all of Oregon. You mix tourist, college students, log trucks and locals together it makes for a volatile mix.
I know this road like the back of my hand...but it is twilight and traffic is slow..there is not much of it but about 10 miles down the road I am in a jam of about 12 - 15 vehicles that look like a convoy huddling for safety...not really enough passing areas for anyone to kick it past Grandpa in his dusty ford at the top of the pack. At the first passing lane some yuppie screams past me in a Neon of all things at about 90 and takes about 3/4 of the group..I hung back..figured if he PIT someone I didn't want to be in on the party..safety first for now. It's pretty cold now...but I don't want to be anywhere else.
I make it past about half of the crowd at the next passing lanes..about 70 mph...Grandpa turns off...but this group is holding at 55 or so....5 miles from the school....a 1.5 mile downhill run...last 3/4 mile is downhill...no traffic coming, I can see a mile...blink my brights a few times, drop to 4th and momentum up to a 60 mph shift into 5th....I slingshot around two or three and take the last of the six at about 98..safely...but damn quickly! I set the cruise at 65 till I come into the home of the Eagles, Eddyville Charter School. I am there for the last hour of practice.
The ride home was dark and cold but no funny stuff...precious cargo you know, plus got to set a good example. He will be riding soon, I hope...hell, I know...chip off the old block and all that stuff.
Home...put the bike away...smiling and still a little stiff from the cold, and maybe the Old too.
Oh ya...the lesson part. I got new Heritage style bars in the garage to put on soon. Now I will not be putting them on till I get heated grips. Oh ya, and for when it gets a little colder one of those face mask thingy's.....I am not going to winterize the bike either. There might be another clear, dry winter day that I need to take advantage of. There's hwy 229 that Follows the Siletz river to Lincoln City and all points North Coast...........oh ya.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:25 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your fingers must be thawed out, that's a lot of typing. And a good blow by blow of nice days ride in the good ol' PNW! 66 degrees? I think it was a balmy 53 here in the Columbia river valley. Good write up! We should hook up this summer, we venture down your way a few times a year to escape the inland summer heat

Old 11-26-2009, 11:12 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Man i fell alseep reading that one....LOL...Not because it wasn't a great write-up but because im a slow reader and wear out EZ.... Great details!!!!Thought i was there!! Ride Safe...

Old 11-26-2009, 11:17 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,232 Likes on 1,846 Posts

I missed the part after the first sentence, could you repeat it please?

Old 11-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrific Pacific
I got my RKC on 18 June and put 3400 on it up until the first week of October. Then the rains hit here in Oregon on the coast. Plus my work load picked up...so riding has been limited to a few miles here and there.
Then yesterday I got finished with a job early, and I own the company...so I sent the crew and myself home early. Got changed into my gear as quickly as I could and gave the bike a quick dusting and wipe down, then hit the road. It was 3:00 and 66 degrees.
I dressed warm and even stuck my jacket liner and zip on ear muffs for the helmet in the bags. I also picked up my 13 yoa son's gear into the tour pac so I could pick him up after B-Ball practice.
My son's school is 20 miles away...unless you take the scenic route. Six miles west to the coast then south for 20 miles along the beautiful central Oregon coast...hit the fog and the chill was coming on. In Waldport I hooked a left onto one of those winding River roads all over Oregon...This one hugs the Alsea river for about 60 miles, rising up into the Coastal Cascade Range hugging the base of Mary's Peak...the tallest of the small coastal range with a snow cap about 6 months of the year. The further I went on this road...dwarfed by the tall fir and alder trees I wound in and out of valleys and tree tunnels. It was getting cold.
After 40 miles I pulled into the village of Alsea, middle of a beautiful nowhere....Alsea's claim to fame is that it has more males, per capita, serving, or having served in Iraq and Afghanistan than any other place in Oregon. I stopped at the one stop-all things store. They have bait, hunting supplies, hardware of all sorts, farm supplies, livestock feed, internet access, deli, bathrooms, swap board and groceries. They also had some $1.49 cotton liner gloves that I picked up to knock the chill out of my hands along with a Starbucks double shot for the road. Came out and put on the gloves...did I mention I was getting cold?
I drove a couple of miles down the road and the sun was mostly behind the mountains now, I was fully on the east side of the beginning of the range now and the temp must be about 45. I pulled over next to the road within sight of one of Oregon's historic Covered Bridges, located about 500 yards away....I zipped in my jacket liner and also attached the ear muffs to the helmet...wished I had my camera...
I made it past Mary's Peak and headed into two miles of hairpin curves all marked 15 to 35 mph....I did maybe 10 over the whole way...I was surrounded by Old Growth Fir. Giant sentinels of the landscape, many well over 100 feet tall and as big around as a Volkswagen..the smell was intoxicating...the ride through...while taking it easy was still as invigorating as if I had pushed for the adrenalin on the switchbacks.
Out of the turns I came up behind a farmer pulling a small trailer full of who knows what doing about 45 mph, I still had about 15 miles to go but backed of about 5 seconds behind the farmer and soaked in the scenery. Coming out of the curves earlier, I saw the unmistakable shine of a motorcycle light about a mile behind me...coming up fast....about 30 yards behind me now an I am prepared for a crotch rocket blow by...but for some reason he slowed and stayed behind me...maybe paying respect to my speed or just wanting to see a RKC from the tailpipe side....
Highway 34 ends in a Y...east or west onto hwy 20. I hit the west bound lane and the red and white crotch rocket into the east, toward Corvallis and the OSU Beavers..one game away from the Rose bowl... I turned and gave a low wave...he pointed and gave a thumbs up. I gave one back..what the hell.
Now it is 40 miles home, but first a stop at my son's school about halfway to watch some Jr. High b-ball workout...they won their first game the other day after only a single win all of last year..good stuff. This section of highway is newer than all the rest of the road and is pretty straight and good pavement until Eddyville where the school is. After that it is 20 miles of turns, hills and narrow road...one of the most accident prone in all of Oregon. You mix tourist, college students, log trucks and locals together it makes for a volatile mix.
I know this road like the back of my hand...but it is twilight and traffic is slow..there is not much of it but about 10 miles down the road I am in a jam of about 12 - 15 vehicles that look like a convoy huddling for safety...not really enough passing areas for anyone to kick it past Grandpa in his dusty ford at the top of the pack. At the first passing lane some yuppie screams past me in a Neon of all things at about 90 and takes about 3/4 of the group..I hung back..figured if he PIT someone I didn't want to be in on the party..safety first for now. It's pretty cold now...but I don't want to be anywhere else.
I make it past about half of the crowd at the next passing lanes..about 70 mph...Grandpa turns off...but this group is holding at 55 or so....5 miles from the school....a 1.5 mile downhill run...last 3/4 mile is downhill...no traffic coming, I can see a mile...blink my brights a few times, drop to 4th and momentum up to a 60 mph shift into 5th....I slingshot around two or three and take the last of the six at about 98..safely...but damn quickly! I set the cruise at 65 till I come into the home of the Eagles, Eddyville Charter School. I am there for the last hour of practice.
The ride home was dark and cold but no funny stuff...precious cargo you know, plus got to set a good example. He will be riding soon, I hope...hell, I know...chip off the old block and all that stuff.
Home...put the bike away...smiling and still a little stiff from the cold, and maybe the Old too.
Oh ya...the lesson part. I got new Heritage style bars in the garage to put on soon. Now I will not be putting them on till I get heated grips. Oh ya, and for when it gets a little colder one of those face mask thingy's.....I am not going to winterize the bike either. There might be another clear, dry winter day that I need to take advantage of. There's hwy 229 that Follows the Siletz river to Lincoln City and all points North Coast...........oh ya.
Sounds like You had a great ride! How come You did'nt invite Me?

Old 11-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrific Pacific
Then yesterday I got finished with a job early, and I own the company...so I sent the crew and myself home early.
So did you pay them in full, or dock them? Just wondering...........

Old 11-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Terrific Pacific
Tourer

I love the humor with this group!
Sorry so long...but I am a wannabe writer and get carried away sometimes....
Markymann...I paid them for the day + they get today paid as well.
DIONICIO....Love to meet up and ride with you....as well as JonnyD.
Thanks for reading it anyway.........

Old 11-26-2009, 01:39 PM
PowerFactor
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Always great to hear about a nice ride.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:41 PM
MODCOBRA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent write up of a nice ride.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior

Nice write up.

Quick Reply: Riding, Learning and Living Large