Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with wobble... and info on tru track

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:16 PM
quint
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need help with wobble... and info on tru track

iclick

This reminds me of a situation recently. I have an '05 Ultra and a buddy just bought an '07 SG. He was concerned that the bike wobbled through corners and asked me to swap. Now, I rode his SG about 50 miles back from Overton, NV, which is a road constantly twisting & truning, and has every surface imaginable, from washboards to racetrack smooth. I was gunning it, I admit, but on one corner with a bad bump, the SG did a head shake of 3 - 4 wobbles, and for a split second, I honestly thought I was gping to lose it. My Ultra never would have done that, but I run Metzelers and I also checked the rear air suspension for the correct PSI.

QUESTION: Is the SG worse than the Ultra due to its lowered suspension (i.e. stiffer with less travel)? This concerns me because I have an '08 SG on order... I love the look of 'em

Old 08-27-2007, 01:35 PM
FLFOOL
Intermediate

Also consider and eliminate all other possible problems:

If it is more like a hi frequency vibration type wobble that occurs at a certain speed

each time it is probably tires/tirebalance.

If it is a low frequency wobble that occurs only when it encounters a line, bump,

or in sweeping turns, it is probably a mechanical fault ( loose spokes, loose swingarm,

loose wheel bearings, low tire pressure).

If it is low frequency and pitches the entire bike side to side with a power of it's own

like a pendulum (tank slappers) and happens when the bike encounters longer G-out type bumps

(especially in sweeper turns) it is suspension geometry from overloading or sacked shocks/springs,

or improper suspension settings, usually from excessive sag in the rear

Old 08-27-2007, 04:59 PM
red1beard
Intermediate

I installed a Ridestr8 on my 06 SG. Also added progressive 440 shocks in stock 12" length and progressive fork springs. I'm just used to progressive products. I know there are other mfgs. Now no more wobble in sweepers. Unfortunately I have now dragged both driver floorboards and scratched the bottom of my mufflers. But D**n does this bike handle nice now. Had to upgrade the brakes to slow her down better. I highly recomend upgrading the suspension.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:42 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: quint

QUESTION: Is the SG worse than the Ultra due to its lowered suspension (i.e. stiffer with less travel)? This concerns me because I have an '08 SG on order... I love the look of 'em
I don't know, but my SG wasn't bad at all before installing the Ride Str8. I did get some minor waggle in sweepers with irregular pavement, but it wasn't ever unnerving. Some have said the lowered suspension makes the bike more stable, but I can't say. My last two bikes have had lowered suspensions, my old RK having stock shocks with a 1½" lowering kit. I had very little sensation of waggle on that bike, but it did exist.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:27 PM
joe v
Cruiser

i just gas it and it goes away

Old 08-27-2007, 09:34 PM
quint
Tourer

iclick, thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it. As I say, the SG looks fantastic. I mean, you've got your SG all "ultra-ed" out and it still looks way better than an Ultra in my humble opinion, and I think I'm qualified to say that because I own an Ultra.

Thanks to FLFOOL for the understanding on the different types of wobble. That all makes sense.

Funny thing is, I also own a couple of Beemers (one a sport tourer, the other is straight sport) and while these handle great, I can still give a lot of the other riders in my a group a run for their money even when I'm on the Ultra. Plus, while I like ALL bikes, I really enjoy riding the Harley the most. The sound, the feel, the wind in the face... it's all good!

Old 08-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Gaskett
Advanced

I have the TXR, and have it it on for quite a few months and almost 1000 miles. It's a great product, and let's me scrape the floorboards with confidence anytime I want too. Getting it adjusted to the riding style you want is the most important thing to do (don't just have it installed and leave it at the installers setting)

Glenn

Old 08-28-2007, 06:15 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got a RideSrt8 from Bart. Should be intalling this week.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:12 PM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One reply was, "gas it, it goes away..." In 2001 at Sturgis, a group of us were hotrodding from RushNoMore Campground on the interstate heading into town. I was running down the Softail Deuce when he started a high speed wobble. He gave it to her.... He was violently thrown off and I'll never forget the expression on his face as I went by him with him on his butt, legs straight.... you get the picture....
Moral? I believe all Harley's suffer from a high speed wobble. I have a truetrac, it helps, some... If it happens to you, I suggest lean forward, grab a handfull of handlebars, slow down, and, oh yea, the most important part, PRAY!

[IMG]local://upfiles/18192/99E6575EC27742BEA64A7A41CD9D6DB4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Ultra_Bob
Tourer

Can someone post a photo of the Ride-Str8 Stabilizer Bracket Kit installed?

Quick Reply: need help with wobble... and info on tru track