Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter blues/jumpin ship/new bike envy or.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009 | 06:32 AM
JonnyD
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Winter blues/jumpin ship/new bike envy or.......

....... Just bored with the the current bike and it's time to dump money in a new one? Just strolled through the classifieds, and there sure are a lot of touring members trying to unload their bikes. What gives? I was just at a local dealer and talkin turkey with a salesman, and they said it's been rough. Asked what their givin on trade values, and he said they're not. No trades, boss says no money tied up! All big twins $1500 off MSRP, and no freight/set-up. No one in the store buyin, no trade-ins, bikes galore for sale locally; at budget pricing too...... Kinda creepy.

Granted, I do live in a seasonal area, but it's lookin sad. Are we losing the battle?

Last edited by JonnyD; 11-25-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-25-2009 | 06:40 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

The stealers don't want your trade period. You're probably better off sellin' your's yourself anyway, that is if you can.

Personally I wouldn't want a 10 as they have the cat in the head, which robs your power and makes your bike run hotter, but hey it's EPA compliant.

Old 11-25-2009 | 06:45 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior

I have never traded in with a dealer. There is someone out there that will buy your bike and you will come out ahead in the long run. Trade in's are nice if $$'s are not the issue and you want to get into another bike alot quicker than doing a orivate sale.
Good luck and ride safe

Old 11-25-2009 | 06:48 AM
JonnyD
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Just so we're clear, I'm not sellin or tradin. I just noticed they had very few used bikes and asked why, and if they weren't taking any or what they were giving. I always like to hear the latest on bike values, according to a dealer. Makes it tough for them, when they can't rely on people to trade up.

Old 11-25-2009 | 07:12 AM
marsolais
Advanced

You need to move down south. We ride year round. Cruisers all over the place to.

Old 11-25-2009 | 07:17 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Come out here to where I live in the Black Hills, and you'll see a glut of used bikes at the "dealer". In fact they do so much business they have to take a certain percentage of their used bikes and auction them off in Texas. I believe it's called supply and demand, and right now there is more supply than there is demand, just to be clear.

Old 11-25-2009 | 08:19 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

My dealer has two dealerships in Texas and he is filled with used bikes.
He would trade for a used one, but he won't put any money near what it's worth into one.

He said he has a 40% increase in his used inventory and that has been that way since July.
I am lucky I traded back in May. Now I couldn't. He hasn't hardly anybody looking at new bikes either.

I am glad I'm not a dealer right now, I can tell you that.

Old 11-25-2009 | 10:01 AM
Rnemhrd
Cruiser

For the dealers that have the cash to take them in and store them used bikes are $$ in the bank this time of year. I know a indy that does metrics and sport bikes and he will take all he can get as long as he has room in his barn, but does'nt pay crap for them right now. Come spring he sells them as quick as he can get them to his shop. Same with the local HD dealer here. They gave me a good trade for my Street Bob this spring because he was moving use bike faster than new ones.It sold in less than a week. Come spring when bikes are moving you will get better trade values, and less off new bikes. Like said earlier supply and demand in the seasonal areas.

Old 11-25-2009 | 10:09 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

I would think that a dealer that couldn't or wouldn't take a trade in would DOOMED! ..... But maybe not.

Old 11-25-2009 | 10:10 AM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member

It is a good time to buy.. It is a bad time to sell. Kinda like a tale of two cities, It was the best of times It was the worst of times

Quick Reply: Winter blues/jumpin ship/new bike envy or.......