Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with 21" Front Wheel with ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problems with 21" Front Wheel with ABS?

For those of you that have put a 21" front wheel on your ABS equiped bikes, have you had any problems? Does the ABS operate as normal? I'm going to be purchasing a new bike very soon and I'm trying to decide if I want ABS or not.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:35 AM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The wheel size does not affect ABS.
ABS is worth every penny.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:37 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This one has been done to death. Its a shame that the search function doesnt work for short words like ABS.

It will not change anything as long as the overall diameter of the tyre is the same. If the overall diameter of the tyre is larger then the computer will get less data about wheel speed (due to lower rpm) and there may be a slight loss in ABS performance.

Considering that the HD abs system isnt the sharpest around then it is unlikely that you will be able to tell the difference.

Although I dont like my ABS and its unplugged I think ABS is a good thing for the majority of riders.

I advise people to get it because if you have it and dont like it you can disable it in about 20 sec by disconnecting the front wheel sensor behind the nacelle, whereas of you dont have it and want it can not be retrofitted.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:56 AM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 21" wheel and ABS

This subject has been visited alot but let's think about this again. First of all how can you possibly have a 21" rim/tire combo that is the same diameter as stock???????? Especially when it 08 they had 16" rims and tire combo's. To suggest that they would be the same is crazy with all due respect. I have asked this question many times but no one has trully been able to say if there is any actual difference. I am not talking about percieved differences here but actual. With the 21" wheel the wheel / rim diameter is different than stock....fact. The computer was set up for a given wheel rim combo,
16",17",18" depending on year...fact. If you change diameters there must be a difference unless the computer is able to handle minor changes in the original parameters. I'm no rocket scientist but once again this seems logical to me. Does this have a percieved difference in your braking system ...it would seem not based on the amount of 21" rims out there. In actuality is there a difference but it is minor and goes unoticed...maybe.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Beach Bagger
Tourer

Originally Posted by kingkingking
This one has been done to death. Its a shame that the search function doesnt work for short words like ABS.

It will not change anything as long as the overall diameter of the tyre is the same. If the overall diameter of the tyre is larger then the computer will get less data about wheel speed (due to lower rpm) and there may be a slight loss in ABS performance.

Considering that the HD abs system isnt the sharpest around then it is unlikely that you will be able to tell the difference.

Although I dont like my ABS and its unplugged I think ABS is a good thing for the majority of riders.

I advise people to get it because if you have it and dont like it you can disable it in about 20 sec by disconnecting the front wheel sensor behind the nacelle, whereas of you dont have it and want it can not be retrofitted.
I did several searches about this subject and came up with a bunch of threads, but in none of the threads did I read of someone who had actual experience with ABS and a 21" front wheel. There has to be at least a few guys out there running 21" front wheels with ABS.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:32 AM
EyeHD
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not had any problems with 21" front and ABS. Have been running the setup for about a year and have not noticed any lag or changes in the ABS system.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer

Originally Posted by EyeHD
I have not had any problems with 21" front and ABS. Have been running the setup for about a year and have not noticed any lag or changes in the ABS system.
Great! This is exactly the kind of information that I was looking for. Any other owners out there that have ABS and a 21" front wheel?

Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 PM
MEGALifted
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 21" front and ABS. I haven't noticed any issues but I don't go around locking up the brakes either. I thought the ABS light on the dash would indicate a malfunction with the system, mine doesn't stay lit after I take off.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer

Originally Posted by MEGALifted
I've got a 21" front and ABS. I haven't noticed any issues but I don't go around locking up the brakes either. I thought the ABS light on the dash would indicate a malfunction with the system, mine doesn't stay lit after I take off.
Has the ABS ever kicked in during hard braking since you put on your 21" wheel?

Old 11-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Beach Bagger
Has the ABS ever kicked in during hard braking since you put on your 21" wheel?
I have 21" on both my '08 and '09. I have grabbed a handful of brake (and foot full) on the '08 and the ABS did exactly what it was suppose to do (and pulsated just like on my truck). No issues. This has happened twice on my '08, but I have not had to on my '09 as of yet. I have faith that if I do, it will perform just fine.

Quick Reply: Problems with 21" Front Wheel with ABS?