Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Day

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:12 PM
rabidd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Day

Well 41 years of ridding and I droped my 07 Ultra today, did not think it would happen to me. I was driving home in traffic in the hammer lane but there was a accident up ahead and was slowing traffic to a crawl. I was crawling along about 5 feet in back of the car ahead and was watching him but he wasent watching the traffic he was on the phone when out of nowhere he hits the brake. I had my left foot on the floorboard to shift and my right foot hanging getting ready to support the bike if needed. Well I hit the front brake wheel went left and the bike drops to the right at a dead stop just couldnt keep it upright. Well I tried like crazy to pick it up but there was no way by myself. So here I am traffic everywhere and people looking at me like hurry up and get out of the way. Well thank God a person stoped and he helped me get the bike up and all was well. Only have a few minor scatches on the bike. I know I have read somewhere that you can get the bike up by yourself so if you know how let me know.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:25 PM
DHart
Tourer

Sorry for the bad luck. Happens to us all at one point or another. Picking these big boys up can be a real job for anyone less than strong and burly. Best approach is to back up to the bike with your back against the seat. Bend down with your knees with your hands holding the bike behind you... then use your legs to lift up while pushing back against the bike. I think this is the only safe way to do it. Be extra careful not to let the bike keep going the other way! Glad to hear you only got a few scratches.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DHart
Sorry for the bad luck. Happens to us all at one point or another. Picking these big boys up can be a real job for anyone less than strong and burly. Best approach is to back up to the bike with your back against the seat. Bend down with your knees with your hands holding the bike behind you... then use your legs to lift up while pushing back against the bike. I think this is the only safe way to do it. Be extra careful not to let the bike keep going the other way! Glad to hear you only got a few scratches.
What he said

Old 11-24-2009, 10:32 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the club! Been there, done that.

Glad you're ok, and I hope the bike isn't scratched too bad.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:34 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

depends how strong you are . . .

btw - sorry to hear your news. It's never fun to drop a bike.

Assuming the bike's on it's right side (seems like that's the usual side!) deploy the jiffy stand, walk to the right side and, with your back to the bike, bend your knees and grip the frame or other substantial grab points with both hands. Stand up.

Minor modification to procedure if on left side. Requires care not to tip bike over to right side. Helps to have someone to steady bike once vertical.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:37 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wow - seems we were all typing the same thing at the same time - and watching NCIS (well at least I was ;-)

Old 11-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also..make sure it's in gear and grab the front brake if you can.Helps to keep it from rolling away from you.

I dropped my 08 the 2nd week I had it.. Picked it up by myself.
Glad thats over with..

Old 11-24-2009, 11:02 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,635 Likes on 678 Posts

My ex-boss dropped his brand new aniversary EC twice in the first few days, once on each side. I also saw a thread on the ducati forum where a guy dropped his new 1098, but when he went to pick it up, he threw it over on the other side!

Good that you didn't get hurt, and just letting you know you're not alone!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Knight2
Tourer

Rabidd,

Came home one night, Bout 2 Am, pulled in the driveway and BAM!
Right down WE went! haha Felt like a lead block hit the ground..
SHOOT! now what?
I bend down and try to lift it regular way and said NO WAY!
ThenI remembered this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4MPyX0QCYw

I turned around and lifted my EG right up! No problems!
Not to say I learned a BIG lesson that night....
Wont say where/what I was doing earlier that night...
But it worked! thank God.

Pete

Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I did this too. Drove up to a stop on a country road not paying attention and whoops.

I want to add it was quite easy to pick up the bike but you must lift by turning the handlebars in towards you at the same time you find a grab somewhere else. Makes the bike come up easier, and like everyone else says, back into it.

Quick Reply: Bad Day