Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who tows a trailer behind your Touring Bike???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

We've put over 80K on ours and have never felt like it but us in danger. The first time you rode a bike, it took awhile to learn how it handled before you were comfortable. The same with a trailer. We really love ours and have gotten to meet a lot of great people because of it.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:17 AM
jrstar
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usmcbay
My Dad and I are looking into the idea of building a small Aluminum Sq Tubed trailer with a Luggage Carrier and a cooler. See photo of Trailer... this is where I got the idea from...

Question: What has been your experience pulling a trailer (braking, cornering...) It would be for light packing. Tent, sleeping bags, air-up mattresses, clothes, jackets, etc.

Oh yes, trailers. Here are a few pics of bikes and trailers I have owned in the last few years. All the ones with cargo toppers, I have built. The fiberglass ones, I just had painted to match the bike of the day. (as a matter of fact, I am building a cheap one today to sell for a few Christmas dollars)

Old 11-25-2009, 08:20 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a swivel hitch if you want but it is not true that dropping your bike will ruin anything concerning the hitch.A ball has a radius of 120 to 130 degrees.You can only put the bike at no more than 90 degrees from the trailer.To prove this hook up an empty trailer and lift one side.You will see that it will go safely beyond 90 degrees.

Great salesmanship I will say that.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:48 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

folks that say "you don't know it's there" probably don't know they are not wearing pants either. I have pulled a few different types of trailers, currently a kwick kamp tent trailer. They all have pulled very easy, but you definitely know they are there.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:33 AM
usmcbay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrstar
Oh yes, trailers. Here are a few pics of bikes and trailers I have owned in the last few years. All the ones with cargo toppers, I have built. The fiberglass ones, I just had painted to match the bike of the day.
Mr... those are some great looking Cabooses you've had your hands on. Great post - thanks for the pictures.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by T K Glider
Get a swivel hitch if you want but it is not true that dropping your bike will ruin anything concerning the hitch.A ball has a radius of 120 to 130 degrees.You can only put the bike at no more than 90 degrees from the trailer.To prove this hook up an empty trailer and lift one side.You will see that it will go safely beyond 90 degrees.

Great salesmanship I will say that.
I thought the same thing, but after 40K and never dropping the bike, I inspected the hitch and found that the fork that goes under the ball had twisted and was quite out of shape. Put the swivel hitch on and haven't had a problem.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a fan of the two wheeled trailers, except for the theme type like the Firebike trailer (nicely done). I think the single wheeled trailers look best, but I wonder how stable they are. Any problems fully loaded?

Old 11-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well yes, Its true that you DO know its there if you have the proper mind set. And when in the hills but that is the standard with any type of trailer in any towing situation. Saying "to not know its there" applies to proper loading and proper knowledge of pulling. I find that on the open road, I really cant feel it behind me. I just look in the mirror to see it.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Trailers

I towed one over 9,000 miles with no problem. Hitch weight is critical and Bushtec is probably the best model to pull. You want about 15 to 20% of the total weight on the hitch or the tail will start wagging the dog.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:43 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
It's all fun and good untill it turns bad. And then it can be REALLY bad. If you ever get into a situation where ya have to stop suddenly or move around quickly to avoid a "crash", God help ya because no one else can!.............Do not ask me how I know this.
Ah come on, how do you know this? an inquiring mind wants to know

Quick Reply: Who tows a trailer behind your Touring Bike???