Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So am I crazy for trading the Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:14 PM
av8trguy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post So am I crazy for trading the Ultra?

I've decided to trade in the '06 Ultra for a 2010 Road King. Why? The Ultra always seemed a bit top heavy to me. I'm 5'7", 155 lbs. With the wife and a full touring load it just feels bulky. Rented an RK over the summer and it seemed nimbler in the turns and during slow speed maneuvers. The Road King has the "look" and I figure I can always accessorize it for touring. So has anyone else taken the step backwards? Am I the only insane person on this forum?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope.
But if I had the bread, I'd have a Road King too.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Whatever you want, do it. I'd rather have an Ultra. I'm 5-8 and on a good day weigh around 200 lbs. I've owned several Ultras and now have a Roadglide. I'm just a fairing kinda guy I guess. Either way, enjoy your new bike.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:24 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not realy sure it is a step backwards, more like a step sidways.
I have a RKC, I love it, now if I where to buy a newer bike I would probably look for a classic, I like the looks of the fairing, but then I am 6' 250lbs, I rode a classic and I liked it, but since I put the fairing on my RK I like it even better.
Remember the RK has the same fraim as the Ultra, just not all the other top heavy things, a friend of mine had an ultra, he said when his wife was on the bike with him it felt like the center of gravity was in her head, so I can understand the problem.
Terry

Old 11-23-2009, 09:24 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say that if you enjoy riding a m/c then you should have the ride you enjoy and that fits you best,enjoy!

Old 11-23-2009, 09:26 PM
sbrn33
Advanced

What makes you think your stepping backwards? Not everybody wants a limosine some may want a coupe, both are nice.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:41 PM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Road King is a great bike but wouldn,t trade my Ultra for anything.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:42 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,635 Likes on 678 Posts

I agree that it is more of a sideways step. My dad had an EGUC before his RKC, and also hated the top heavyness. I say go for it.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:57 PM
fripple
Road Warrior

Never ridden either, but I like the look of the RK. I currently ride a Road Glide and I love it

Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by av8trguy
I've decided to trade in the '06 Ultra for a 2010 Road King. Why? The Ultra always seemed a bit top heavy to me. I'm 5'7", 155 lbs. With the wife and a full touring load it just feels bulky. Rented an RK over the summer and it seemed nimbler in the turns and during slow speed maneuvers. The Road King has the "look" and I figure I can always accessorize it for touring. So has anyone else taken the step backwards? Am I the only insane person on this forum?
Yup, you are! Crazy, no doubt about it!

Road Kings are great bikes. If the size and weight of the Ultra are bothering you, and there's nothing wrong with that, then the RK should be a great alternative, especially if you're not totally wedded to the fairing like Terry1955 is!

I agree with other comments here, I wouldn't call it a step backwards. The RK and Ultra are both part of Harley's touring family. As such, they've got generally the same suspension, frames, engines, and drive trains. The only real difference is the body work and accessories like radios and such. I'd assume you'll enjoy the design changes Harley made in 09. So, if this is something you want to do, and renting one first was a great idea, then go for it and enjoy the new ride. Ultimately, it's about what "you" want anyway and nothing we say or think really matters!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Quick Reply: So am I crazy for trading the Ultra?