Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So am I crazy for trading the Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:24 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,635 Likes on 678 Posts

Also keep in mind the street glide. You have the benefit of the fairing and radio, without the tour pack so its not quite as heavy. Also, I beleive it is lowered straight from the factory like the road king custom.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:11 PM
av8trguy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped by the dealership again to validate my sanity. After sitting on an SG, Road Glide, and Road King, I have decided to stay the course with the RK. As someone stated earlier, perhaps the top-heaviness is more perceived than real but I still like the “look” of the RK. As others have pointed out, I should have said I was taking a step sideways rather than backwards. They are all (touring bikes) good choices and I don’t think I could go wrong with any of them. Thanks for all of your comments.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:18 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

YES YOU ARE CRAZY
Ride a 09/10 Ultra and then decide. You are the one who needs to comfortable with your ride.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Smile

There's only one way to find out: pull the trigger on the RKC and report back here in 3 months.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:16 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't , but then I have no problem handling the ultra, 1 or 2 up.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are you crazy?

Originally Posted by av8trguy
I've decided to trade in the '06 Ultra for a 2010 Road King. Why? The Ultra always seemed a bit top heavy to me. I'm 5'7", 155 lbs. With the wife and a full touring load it just feels bulky. Rented an RK over the summer and it seemed nimbler in the turns and during slow speed maneuvers. The Road King has the "look" and I figure I can always accessorize it for touring. So has anyone else taken the step backwards? Am I the only insane person on this forum?
Not if you want a Road King.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by av8trguy
I stopped by the dealership again to validate my sanity. After sitting on an SG, Road Glide, and Road King, I have decided to stay the course with the RK. As someone stated earlier, perhaps the top-heaviness is more perceived than real but I still like the “look” of the RK. As others have pointed out, I should have said I was taking a step sideways rather than backwards. They are all (touring bikes) good choices and I don’t think I could go wrong with any of them. Thanks for all of your comments.
I think how the individual "handles" the weight of an Ultra can be as much an issue of how they perceive the weight as anything but as an Ultra owner, I can tell you that the bike can be a bit on the top heavy side, especially when it's loaded for a trip. That batwing fairing, by itself, weighs a bit more than the RK's windshield and that doesn't include the radios and extra gauges the RK doesn't have. The tour pack is a "large" piece of luggage and holds a LOT of stuff. It's very easy to pack more weight into the thing than Harley says it's rated to carry. That weight is relatively high on the bike and you will feel it back there when the bike is loaded up. Is it a big deal most of the time? Not to me it's not but it can cause issues if you get careless.

The first trip I took on my Ultra, I was parking it at a Waffle House that had a slightly off camber parking lot. I miss balanced the bike and it got "just" far enough over that I couldn't hold it without risking hurting myself so I just guided it to the ground. The bike wasn't moving so I didn't even scratch the crash bars. The only thing damaged was my ego and the only way I was going to pick it back up again was to unload that tour pack first. Fortunately, a couple of customers in the restaurant saw what happened and came out to help me right the bike. They were both motorcyclists too and said they'd "been there, done that." I was more embarrassed than anything else but truly appreciated the help at the time.

Bottom line is, an Ultra is going to be slightly more top heavy than a Road King will be. It's just the nature of the beast. For me, the trade off is well worth it. I'm lovin' my Ultra!

Go with what makes you happiest!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:42 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from a Street Glide to a Roadking. Not one regret.