Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So am I crazy for trading the Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:49 PM
dpendleton
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You gotta love both bikes. I like the comment about a limo vs a coupe. I'm a coupe guy. Love my RKC.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent choice for two reasons.

You like it, and it's a King!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Terrific Pacific
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rented both before I bought.
Rented the Ultra first and really liked it...little lady did too.
THEN I rented a RKC....it just feels the way I want a bike to feel...I am set up good for touring...no fairing...yet.
I think I will get some fork baffles just to cut down on the buffeting...but I love a little wind...
To eachg their own...but I absolutely love my RKC...3 bikes in one...4 if you get removable fairing..

Old 11-23-2009, 11:09 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, this little habit we have is all about finding what's right for YOU! Key word there is YOU. If the King fits you better, then that's the way to go. No apologies needed, and you can just enjoy your riding with a little more peace of mind knowing that you're more comfortable. Besides, with the KING, if you decide to change, and you want some options, like a detachable fairing, the option is always there. I love my KING for that very reason. Now with that said, my next scoot is going to be an ULTRA. Why didn't you just call me? LoL Enjoy, and don't worry about making the wrong move, if it works for YOU, it works!

Old 11-24-2009, 12:32 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I went through the same thing many years ago. I had an Ultra for several years and it was a great bike but it just wasn't the bike for me. I made a more drastic move than you are considering and traded for a FX Softail Custom. I loved that softail and at the time it was the perfect bike for me. I bought a compact windshield and leather throw over saddle bags, Corbin seat and T-bag and toured all over the west and south. I rode that baby for twelve years and loved every minute of it and never missed the Ultra.

I now have the RK Custom in my sig pic and have to say it is one sweet ride. For me it is as comfortable as I have ever needed to be on a long trip and for just riding around the Texas Hill Country it can't be beat.

I seriously doubt that you will miss the Ultra if you get the King. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:06 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I have both an Ultra and a Road King. The Ultra is wonderful for a long trip because of the stereo and the extra storage space, but if I could only have one H-D, it would be the Road King. Better looking, easier to throw around on a twisty road, just more fun.

I wouldn't call the Road King a "step back."

Old 11-24-2009, 04:55 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's one thing I like about my SG. It's lighter than an Ultra with all the extras on it and it's lower. You buy the RK and then you want to accessorize it like the Ultra, whats the point?

Old 11-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I went from an '05 EGC to my current bike which is an '09 RK. I've always loved the retro/classic look of the RK. In my case about 95% of the time I had my EGC all stripped down to look as sleek as possible. With the RK I can pull the windshield in seconds and have a retro 50's looking cruiser with leather solo seat... In about 5 minutes I can have the Tourpak on the RK and a dual seat and have a cross country touring machine.

I haven't looked back at all. If I want music I have my iPod with ear buds. The OEM windshield on the RK gives good protection (I don't see alot of difference between it and the fairing to be honest). What little difference there is i like in summer cuz I get a good breeze up the sleeve of my jacket on hot days. This was not so easy to do with the batwing fairing.

Comfort? I see virtually no difference personally.

I absolutely LOVE my Road King...

Old 11-24-2009, 05:47 AM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Road King. I sorta think I am "supposed" to get an Ultra next as a natural progression of my addiction. But, I love my Road King and really see no reason to have an Ultra. I think having tunes on a bike is a akin to watching television while tent camping. It just ain't right. With my detachable tour pack, I can carry just as much on a Road King as an Ultra.

The Road King is a convertible that can be lots of different things with a click of a few snaps. An Ultra is a sedan that can never be anything but what it is.

Facing a different dilema here. How can I justify to her keeping the old Road King and buying a new one? It would be simpler to buy an Ultra and say, "But, this one is different," than it would be to have two Road Kings of different vintages in the garage.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:36 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Road King Classic has the best looks of any standard Harley - and that means it beats any non-Harley's looks by a few magnitudes of order.

Quick Reply: So am I crazy for trading the Ultra?