Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this make sense??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:05 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the stereo has anything to do the the security system. They have nothing to do with each other. The stock stereos have had problems for a number of years. They probably lost the fobs if it came with the security option. Have the dealer run the VIN or someone else and find out for sure what you have.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:06 PM
marsolais
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like the bike has been sitting for awhile which killed the bat. But when you go to start the bike with a new bat you need the FOB and the code to reset the security system. Normally the stock code is in the manual. Now if the prior owner changed the code and didn't tell the dealer then they have to call HD and get a reset code sent to them then it has to be downloaded to the ECM. Now if they don't have the FOBs they can reprogram extras that they might have. As far I know the radio has nothing to do with the security system.

Now if they are trying to sell you the bike "As is" I would run like hell. But if they are going to give you a full warranty and it is a great deal go for it.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

This reminds me of a Miami Vice i once saw....except no ABS..... :-)

Old 11-23-2009, 10:06 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Something is not right about the deal. Someone at the dealership needs to come up with some answers to the questions you have about that bike. True answers!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:34 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by marsolais
It sounds like the bike has been sitting for awhile which killed the bat. But when you go to start the bike with a new bat you need the FOB and the code to reset the security system. Normally the stock code is in the manual. Now if the prior owner changed the code and didn't tell the dealer then they have to call HD and get a reset code sent to them then it has to be downloaded to the ECM. Now if they don't have the FOBs they can reprogram extras that they might have. As far I know the radio has nothing to do with the security system.

Now if they are trying to sell you the bike "As is" I would run like hell. But if they are going to give you a full warranty and it is a great deal go for it.
if he has the fobs (which he said he did) then he should be able to retrieve the override code without having to call hd and get a 'reset code'.....

Old 11-23-2009, 10:58 PM
glcash
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I say get your money back & find another bike! They made more than one 2008 SG!

Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the factory radio that comes with these bikes are the ***** i have a 2009 flhx and i have had 3 radios installed.they only replace the radios with refurbished ones on my 3rd radio i demanded a new one and got it no problems anymore. as far as the fobs go they do have to reprogram cuz they did mine.but u can start the bike with the last five vin numbers if they hadent been changed prior to that but they can change that by getting on the harley web site. good luck brother.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This all makes perfect sense to me. This is the kind of bs you get from the dealers now.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:32 AM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmmm! This dealer don't sound too reliable.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:49 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

If you feel that the dealer is being less than truthful with you now..you better run.because it sure sounds like things are going South..

Quick Reply: Does this make sense??