Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil in high milage bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:08 AM
77Tulsa
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Amsoil in high milage bikes?

Does anyone have any information or experience with Amsoil in high milage bikes? I have heard that they will leak. Is this true?

Old 07-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Gmansitur
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Amsoil in high milage bikes?

No synthetic oil should cause any leaks, unless you already have one!

Old 07-12-2006, 03:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Some synthetics have exceptionally good detergent additives that desolve sludge and varnish inside an old engine. Fossil oils oxidize and form these deposits in time, and high-heat conditions accelerate this problem. The problem is that sludge often acts as a plug for bad gaskets, and when it is cleared away in time the plug disappears and there may be leakage. I would say that is caused by the bad gasket or seal, not the oil.

One of the advantages of synthetic oil is that you likely will get no sludge even after many thousands of miles. I removed my rear valve cover for the first time at about 100k miles to check tolerances on rockers (no wear) and there was no sludge at all, having used Royal Purple all these years. I have also never replaced any gaskets except those required during maintenance, like outer-primary and right-side tranny cover. I've never had any leaks on this bike, including base gaskets or valve covers. I may be near some kind of a record on base gaskets for Evos.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:14 PM
77Tulsa
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I appreciate the input. I Have been through the tranny and primary just this past year. (Put in a REVTECH 6 speed myself) so I know that there isn't any potential leaks there. I will roll it over to Amsoil this next service and see how it go's.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't be disappointed with Amsoil! I am using this in both my truck and the Road Glide. Great stuff!

ORIGINAL: 77Tulsa

I appreciate the input. I Have been through the tranny and primary just this past year. (Put in a REVTECH 6 speed myself) so I know that there isn't any potential leaks there. I will roll it over to Amsoil this next service and see how it go's.