Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

add ABS brakes ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:57 AM
m50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default add ABS brakes ?

I know I have read where you can't add ABS brakes, but I would like to know why it can't be done to a 08 or later Ultra. I like my 08 Ultra but would like to have ABS brakes on it instead of trading to a 10.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:13 AM
dklanecky
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked this question of my dealer and was told HD won't even sell the necessary parts, since "no one" is capable of installing everything necessary to retro fit ABS.

Like you, I'd like to know why as well.

I suspect the cost would be the main issue.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:43 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

You could probably trade bikes cheaper than buying all the components for ABS brakes. Then I doubt you could get anyone to take the liability of installing and setting up brakes.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:30 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Trust them. If it is possible it's extraordinarily impractical to even attempt.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:28 PM
jimski
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in a similar situation with my 07 SG. I'm thinking of doing what one of the other forum members has done. Installing one of the TCB devices on the rear brake. I'm mostly concerned about locking up the rear wheel during emergency braking and experiencing a high-side. You can read all about how it works at:

http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/

I know it's not as good as having ABS but I think that anything that might reduce the chances (without compromising stopping /braking distance) of a rear wheel lock-up would also give me some peace of mind.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:46 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think anyone wants the liability of incorrect installation - or being accused of doing it wrong. In absolute terms it could be done - just look at tha parts catalog, find all the ABS components, order them and install. It may be that Harley treats these components as "restricted" in which case you may not be able to purchase without returning defective components etc. but that seems unlikely - they mostly only fart around like that when it's limited edition badges and the like.

Last edited by davessworks; 11-23-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:48 PM
whoop72
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my recollection is that someone on this forum has done this and posted his parts list and process to do this.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a rough estimate based on looking up the ABS components you'd need to add/change out for a 2010 Ultra

Main wiring harness ($790), hydraulic lines ABS Electronic controller ($470), Modulator Assy ($353), various brakelines (about $280), misc hardware ($75).

(all prices MSRP - total ~$2000 plus labor). I'd think if Harley wanted to suport this they'd have a work around for replacing the main harness - but regardless I don't see many riders dropping that kind of $$$$ on an upgrade.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:19 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Add possibly a new ecm as the old one may not support the ABS controller and you are forgetting wheel sensors and the compatible wheels to run them.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:49 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Add possibly a new ecm as the old one may not support the ABS controller and you are forgetting wheel sensors and the compatible wheels to run them.
The wheels are the same, just the bearings are different.

Regardless there is no way that retrofitting ABS makes sense. You are gonna have to trade in.

Quick Reply: add ABS brakes ?