Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there anything good about the 2010 Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 03:19 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Does somebody have gun at your temple, forcing you to buy a 2010? The options are endless, if that's not what you really want. I guess I just don't understand your point, and I re-read the post to make sure I wasn't missing something. Get on the net and do some surfing, or make some phone calls....there's a ton of 09's out there for some pretty good deals. If that answers the mail, why not go that direction? Or check out some of the screamin' deals here in classified's or even in FleaBay. Lots of folks have already done all that you might want done, and are wanting to unload their bike for financial reason. Give it some thought.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 12,000 on my '09 Ultra this year with no problems whatsoever. There was a bit of a whining noise in 5th gear and I hear they went with a helical gear to quiet that down in 2010. I think it's a bit early to judge the 2010 models, but I'm sure you'll hear more later next season if you feel you need to wait.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:37 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I wouldn't own my '04 if I had read ahead of time how crappy it is. Would I trade my '04 straight up for an '07? Nah. Would I go in debt for a 2010? Nope.
I would love a 6 speed...but wouldn't go to a '10 to get one. Too many nice low mileage '07 and above bikes to justify an 'oh-10' for me.
OK...so the newest bikes have side bags rated at a higher weight than the older bikes.
The bags are the same size. My 'o4 carries the same amount as the newer ones. So what the newer ones are rated higher? (I.E.: you can carry ten lbs of crap in a ten lb. bag. New bag, same size....rated for 15lbs...BUT YOU CAN OINLY FIT 10 lbs. OF CRAP IN THEM!)

Six speed cool!....but you can buy a used bike, 96 C.I., LOW mileage....for WAY less.
Plus you get upgrades from the previous owner.
(I am not one of those guys than need the 'latest and greatest' if you know what I mean).

Chuck the mensh

Old 11-22-2009, 03:53 PM
bjryman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read complaints about the heat and 5th gear on the 08's before I bought my 105th anniversary Ultra. I must admit, the complaints were valid and I did spend about $1K help cool down the ride a bit.

Also, I have lived through the fuel filter recall, warranty replacements of shifter shaft seal, rear tour pak wrap around red lens, and most recently new seals all around to stop leaking from the primary. All covered under warranty, and I was lucky enough not to lose the ride anytime (i.e., bike continued running until I dropped it off at dealer)

I thought a lot about all this, since I could be angry with these problems. Still, I have put 24,000 on the ride in 18 months, added about $4,000 of custom "stuff". and still get a thrill every time I swing my leg into the saddle.

What can I say...I love the thing Moral of the Story: If you are into the Harley experience so that it is your passion, then get the ride you want and work with it. And pray the the MOCO is able to survive it's current crisis

Old 11-22-2009, 05:14 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting point OP. I agree that there's a lot of negative posts largely around the cat in headpipe design - but frankly other than that the 2010 is fantastic. I love my Ultra Limited and although I'm planning on V&H Power Duals and KlockWerks mufflers I don't know too many riders who don't change out pipes . . . oh - and I'm keeping the stock head pipes just in case I need to revert to a cat set-up at some future date. But I don't really blame H-D for this. So - in conclusion if you want to be protected from the EPA the best buy is likely a 2009, it precedes the 2010 EPA phase 2 rules.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:18 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

This thread is humorous. Just do a search for 2007 Harleys and read all the complaints about the 2007, which included, too high of sixth gear ratio (finally changed by Harley on the 2009 models), transmission chatter (since changed by Harley with the new rear pulley with rubber cushes on the 2008's, with a retrofit available for the 2007-at customer cost!), erratic idle (changed by a download "fix" by Harley early in the model year), high heat ("fixed" by factory installed heat guards under the seat, and revamped exhaust system on 2009's,), 5th gear whine (finally actually fixed by Harley in the 2010's), and of course, the infamous "wobble" that supposedly has plagued the Harley tour bikes for years, finally fixed with the new frame and engine mounting introduced on the 2009's.

Every model year has their problems, and chronic complainers among their owners. As to why Harley makes models with built in problems, blame it on the EPA. That would certainly include the catalytic converters in the head pipes.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bjryman
Moral of the Story: If you are into the Harley experience so that it is your passion, then get the ride you want and work with it. And pray the the MOCO is able to survive it's current crisis
Amen!

Old 11-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Tombo359
Cruiser

No matter what bike you ride you are going to want to customize it to some extent so it feels right for you. Be thankful that you are buying a bike that has lots of options available and a lot of companies doing independent development work. I owned another brand touring bike that I really liked but you could not find much in the way of options unless the MoCo offered it, and you definitely could not find performance options for it. The Harley is a good bike, relatively easy to work on and with plenty of options available. IMHO.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I wish that I had a 2010 Ultra so that I could bee itch about it. I would bee itch about my '02 Ultra, but so far it ain't gave me a thing to bee itch about. I'm just way tooooo easy to please I guess. Oh well!!

Old 11-22-2009, 07:32 PM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As was said, get a left-over 09. I love mine and no wierd cats.

Quick Reply: Is there anything good about the 2010 Ultra?