Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

better rear light, need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:41 AM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
I have a Custom Dynamics Genesis II LED tail light and I am really happy with it. Here is a link to the review I did.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ht-review.html

Here is a link to their site.

http://www.customdynamics.com/street...taillights.htm
Very good company. I use them as well. They offer forum members a discount.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
After reading many posts and threads and seeing what others has done about more light in the rear.
I decided to to this

My reasoning was that turn lights need to really catch folks attention. With amber turn lights stand out more than all red will.

Not saying I am right, just saying this is how I see it.
They really light up the rear day or night

Plug and play

In God we Trust

dd
DD, I agree with you about the extra lights and keeping the ambers. The extra lights above your directionals, how difficult is the installation, like the wiring part? I've looked at those myself, about $195 if I recall

Old 11-23-2009, 12:51 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hey there,

I noticed you implied English is not your first language, and that some of the responses came back w/ a lot of abbreviations regarding what others have done. Just in case you missed something people are recommending, here is what some of them have said, and what I have also done.

The first thing I had done to my Road King Classic was to install the run/brake/turn module which converts your rear turn signals into running lights and brake lights, instead of just turn signals. What this does in daylight or night riding is creates a wider light pattern, allowing people to see you from a greater distance and also catch you out of the corner of their eye a little faster, because there are three lights, instead of 1.

Some choose to leave the turn signals yellow, even though they do this conversion. I think in certain light conditions, leaving them yellow does make them more noticeable/visible. I personally chose to use red bulbs in my turn signals to make all my rear lights red. While slightly less noticeable then the constant on yellow turns, I felt it was more traditional and less confusing.

The next thing I did was upgrade my taillight. I chose the custom dynamics light smoked square back LED light similar to this one:

Some of their lights are found here:
http://www.customdynamics.com/street...taillights.htm

Mine is an older model bought earlier this year that had 136 LEDs in it, the new one has 120 LEDs but a newer generation of LEDs.

I considered the BAL (Bright *** Lights) one, but at the time they did not have a smoked option, which was important to me, since I smoked out all the back lights. I also wanted a square back, not a laydown light, because I had a chrome cover for my taillight that I still wanted to use.

I don't think you can go wrong w/ the BAL light, I think it's very bright. I was not able to see one prior to my purchase, but have since seen one in a showroom somewhere. I'm not sure which one is brighter between the Custom Dynamics and the BAL, but they are both a whole lot better than stock, and in my opinion are better than the HD made LED lights I've seen. I like the fact the BAL has different settings on it, I think that makes it better in the sense you can tailor it a little more to what you want.

Another thing to consider, depending on how comfortable you are with being creative and installing things, would be to add some extra lights. One thing I considered were hyperlites, small little led pods you can stick about anywhere, I have NOT bought these yet, but here's a link if you want to see some of those: http://www.hyperlites.com/

The only complaint I've had is on group rides, especially those that involve mountain roads w/ lots of hard turns when we were riding fast and braking before turns etc., one leader of our group had a tailight that's hard to see and it was hard to tell if/when he was braking, but if I was leading, my light was so bright sometimes they thought I was braking when I wasn't, until I did brake and then they saw it was even brighter. So there's definitely a difference in light output between the running light and the brake light, but at a glance the running light might seem bright enough to be a brake light. It just takes some getting used to if people are following you on a ride, but for everyday traffic, I think it's good if people have to take another look to see if you are braking or not because the light is so bright.

Good luck.

I also added lights to the front via the HD chrome engine guard mounted fog lights. I believe they increase my day/night visibility from the front considerably!

Here's a back end shot of bike going into the Tail of the Dragon w/ the smoked lights turned off:

Here's an angled shot in full sun, I might have been draggin the rear brake a little here, not sure, but it's definitely visible in daylight, very bright at night:

Here's a shot of them running, daylight but in the shade, believe I'm accelerating at this point so should just be running lights and not brake lights...

Old 11-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Solitario
hello, I need help from BAL users. I would like to have a brighter rear light in order to have more light when riding, I dont care if it is really bright when you use the brake, I need a brighter rear ligh while riding.

I would like to know is bal is also brighter than stock while riding. I have a rk classic and some people told me that its hard to see me at night.

I would also like to know if someone is using the HD chromed directional bar with integrated rear led light and if it is a waste of money or not.
Im talking about http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

as i said i would like more rear light while riding, I dont care when i use the brake because i think stock brake light is bright enought, If i can improve the brake light too is ok but the idea is to have a better rear light when i ride

please excuse my english, i dont speak english very good.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!
Check out CUSTOM DYNAMICS, very happy with mine

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ail-light.html