Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide/Street Glide Dilemma!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 05:11 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned them all. I had a 01 RKC and a 03 SERK. Along with a 05 Ultra and a 08 SG. They were all great bikes in the own way. They all did different things great. But the 10 RG I think is going to be the best all around bike for me. Don't get me wrong on the sharknose. It has taken me a little while to warm up to it but once I get the bike in the twisty I know I made the right choice. Some will say that it's the frame and I would agree but the frame mounted fairing just feels right going down the road. At my age function over looks is starting to take over just a little bit. I feel with this bike I get the best of both worlds. I still have my Harley and I can at least stay close to my friends who ride BMW's and Honda's. Are there things about the 10 RG that I don't like. Sure but most of them I can fix over time.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Beach Bagger
I have somewhat of a dilemma that I could really use some help with. A local dealer has offered me a heck of a deal on a 2010 if I buy something before the end of the month. I sold my RKC a short while ago to buy a bike with tunes, but I’m not sure which one I want. I’m 31 years old and not ready to move up to the Electra Glide just yet. If you take away the RK’s and the EG’s, that really only leaves two Touring bikes, the RG and the SG. I’ve ridden a SG and liked it, but I know I would have to do some modification because I’m 6’3” tall and the wind would be unbearable on long trips. I haven’t ridden a RG because there are no local dealers that have a rental RG and there are no local dealers that will let you take one for a test ride outside of the parking lot. I also don’t know anybody that has one that I can ride. What should I do? I want to make sure that I’m making the right bike choice.
Go with the Street Glide and an 8" windshield. Pull the trigger and don't look back. (not sure going from an RKC to an EG is considered "moving up", just sayin'...)

Old 11-21-2009, 05:17 PM
blackflhx
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as height, I'm 6'6" and have put 800 miles in a day on my FLHX and had no problems with a 6 inch shield. But at the same time I'm tired of having the bike everyone else has and I love the look of the "right' road glide.They can be ugly but imo they can also be the best looking bagger on the road...choices...choices

Old 11-21-2009, 05:24 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Southeastern NC (28479). Anybody with a late model RG willing to let ride your bike a few miles. I'd be willing to pay $20-30 to ride it just 10-15 minutes.
I'm in Raleigh a couple of hours from you but if you're willing to drive up here, I'd be willing to let you take it for a spin. Like people say, you have to drive both in order to get an understanding of what you want. I can tell you to buy a Road Glide but of course I'm biased. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in making the trip.

Oh...and you don't have to pay me a damn thing.

Last edited by FunkyNova66; 11-21-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve ridden a SG and liked it, but I know I would have to do some modification because I’m 6’3” tall and the wind would be unbearable on long trips.
I like blackflhx am 6'6" tall and ride a street glide. Have covered lot's of miles in a day no worries. The only thing I have considered it a 6 inch windshield like he mentions.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:33 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Yojimbo
Even the guys who ride Road Glides admit they're ugly....
Not me!

Old 11-21-2009, 05:37 PM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty similar situation to you..iam 6'5" had a heritage and knew i needed a touring bike.i test rode everything lots of times but no one would let me test ride a road glide...after hearing all the testamonials from road glide owners and batwing converts (see lots of these converts , not many go to batwing once they have had a shark) i bought one on blind faith. it is by far and away the best bike i have ridden... one thing to remeber if you do ride one, is ...they are setup wrong from the factory (for big guys ) with the short shields and lack of lowers ...so concentate on the handleing and know everything else can be taken care of

Old 11-21-2009, 05:50 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm only 32, and would kill for a EG....

I really don't like the look of the RG. I've always referred to it as a "Buell" front end....

A decent dealer should let you ride one. I was looking at one at Destination Daytona, and they wouldn't budge on letting me test ride one before I did anything. They basically wanted me to purchase the bike before they would let me ride it.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:52 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I much prefer the look and handling of a Road Glide. But I bought a Street Glide. Why? Because for me the Street Glide provides a better pocket of air to ride in. I found the buffeting on a Road Glide unbearable, and I could hardly hear the stereo on the freeway. I ride a lot of long freeway jaunts to get to the twisties, so I want to be as comfy as I can, and still have a bike with a little attitude.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:02 PM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
I much prefer the look and handling of a Road Glide. But I bought a Street Glide. Why? Because for me the Street Glide provides a better pocket of air to ride in. I found the buffeting on a Road Glide unbearable, and I could hardly hear the stereo on the freeway. I ride a lot of long freeway jaunts to get to the twisties, so I want to be as comfy as I can, and still have a bike with a little attitude.
this is exactly what i was talking about. these problems are easily fixed, and you missed ouy owning the best handleing harley made

Quick Reply: Road Glide/Street Glide Dilemma!