Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling a used bike - allow test rides??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Grunt66
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having bought and sold motorcycles from private parties here are my thoughts. As a seller ask for the potential buyers driver's license and ensure he or she has an endorsement for a motorcycle, second hold onto to license while he rides the bike, and ensure your insurance company will cover other riders. This is all contingent upon the person you are dealing with. Two examples, (1) I sold my 2003 Deuce to a gentleman (55 years old) from New Mexico and I live in Southern California. He came with truck and trailer and I already had my 07 Road Glide so I followed him during the test drive. Example number two, I was selling a 1995 Corvette back in 2001 and the car only had 21,000 miles and was show room clean. A young man (19 years old) showed up driving his fathers ZR-1 and just by his demeanor there was no way I was going to let this young man drive my vett even with me in the passenger seat. So to me it depends on the person. Put yourself as the buyer, I know I would never buy a vehicle without first test driving it. As far as holding onto the money and if the potential buyer has an accident you have to give the money back (you can not hold the money hostage) at least here in Southern California. I know this to be true first hand (I am in law enforcement), this past summer this same scenario played out. Long story short, a male test drove a Kawasaki ZX-14R and had a minor accident he gave the buyer 5K to hold during the test drive. A argument between the buyer and seller started and I get dispatched to the call along with my Sergeant. Buyer stated that the seller requested the money so that if he did not return with the bike during the test drive the buyer would be covered. The seller stated the money was requested to cover any damages during the test drive and if the seller did not return. The problem was that is was a verbal agreement and it becomes a civil matter. The seller had to give the money back to the seller. I can only speak for Southern California.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:04 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I would say no. You have too much to lose if something happens. Lawyers now a days would eat that accident up.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Tex42
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a story about a guy who went to the El Paso, TX HD years ago to check out an Ultra. He came back a couple of times to look at it again and finally ask for a test ride. They thought, since he had been in several times, that they could trust him. He took off his big cowboy hat and told the salesman to hold it for him.
He never came back with the Ultra.
For years after that day, when a buyer would ask to have a test ride, the salesman would point to the cowboy hat hanging outside by the gate and tell that story of the cowboy and the Ultra.
No test rides.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:39 PM
pork
Cruiser
Default No more rides

When I was younger, I sold a lot of my cars, trucks, boats myself, rather than trading them in, mostly because I almost always bought used anyway. Back then, if someone wanted a test drive, I always said "Sure. If I have to, I'm sure I can find you." Of course, in addition to being much younger then, I was also much larger, and much more, uh...intense. I don't believe anyone ever took a test drive, and I amost always sold to the first buyer who showed up. I always put a very reasonable price on everything, and I was known for taking care of my things.

Nowadays, being much older and much smaller, in addition to not really caring whether something sells, I would not give a test drive, even in a car or truck, and certainly not on a bike. If you want it, you buy it, and if you think I took advantage of you, we'll talk. After all, if you ride off on my bike, that's pretty much the reverse of the same deal.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless I personally knew the buyer and knew how he rode, along with having a MC license I just wouldn't do it. You're still liable as long as the title is in your name.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I have test driven cars, trucks and bikes. I understand you take a risk...
but you decide what the risk is. I usually ask a guy that wants to buy a bike,
if he will be riding up on one. If he rides up on one, I figure he can ride.
Hopefully, you can judge a person by looking at them. You know a dirt bag sometimes by looking at them (if it's a toss-up...err towards 'dirt bag').
If you decide to let someone test ride anything....it is good 'drama' to have a sledge hammer and stand next to the car or bike that they rode up on. Take their license, Give them ten minutes to shift through the gears, tell them how much you like the bike you are selling....and say after ten minutes if they don't return...the sledge-o-matic show starts.
But follow your gut. I have sold a few bikes, most will start them...rev them a bit.
Check for leaks, stange noises. I think I have only had two people ask for a test ride.
Both had wives that stayed behind and waited...Mr sledge was ready though.
When I sold my Fatboy, a guy from Germany bought it. He started it up, sat on it...rev'ed it and gave me my price.....in cash. $9000. He rode of with his wife following him in a van. About ten minutes later my door bell rings. It was this BIG German guy standing at my door. He said 'Vow! You hast goot bike!" (He deserved a test ride!)

Go with your gut.

chuck the mensh

Old 11-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Brianc9876
Tourer

I'm in the midst of selling a bike of mine at the moment too. All I can say is use common sense and be judicious. Do not allow joyriders, often you can weed out the bums. Good luck

Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No test rides here..............I've sold 2 bikes on my own, and neither buyer ever asked for a test ride.

There is just no safe way of doing it...........they could wreck it, the car they arrived in could be stolen, they could give you false ID.

Steve

Old 11-20-2009, 10:18 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have sold several bikes. If they put the cash in my hand they got to ride the bike. I never had anyone give me any grief about it
That's what I have always done. No less than half the asking price. Never had any problems this way.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:35 PM
990rtracer
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by leohd
wellll since its only a kawasaki who cares...
what a douche

Quick Reply: Selling a used bike - allow test rides??