Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling a used bike - allow test rides??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:07 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Have the guy give you $$$$$ First then OK....But no FREE test rides!!! I have heard HORROR stories about Mr. nice cycle owner allowing tests!! Wow sorry man i had no idea that bike had THAT kind of power!!!!... I had a guy leave his gorgeous Girlfriend behind as collateral once.(I don't think either one knew it at the time..LOL and it was a Honda)...But the guy came back with no problems..but that might be the ONLY WAY!!!!

WOW you guys are fast, 8 posts in the time it took me to post.... Damn its a biotch gettin old!!!!

Last edited by riteway; 11-20-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:12 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002flstc
The easy way is... Have them pay for the bike... and if they choose not to purchase they can have their money back as long as the bike comes back in the condition it left in.
Yep cash in my hand and then they can ride it. They wreck it the cash goes to my pocket PERIOD.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:22 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks so far for all the posts; faster than I thought. I think I am going to go with the "no ride policy". Too much risk. Besides the bike being stolen, they could get hurt, hurt someone else, damage property of someone... since I own the bike I'd be liable.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Would you ever buy a bike that you didn't ride beforehand? How would you want the seller to treat you? You would never never buy a used bike from the dealer that you couldn't ride first. If I was serious, had cash in hand, was ready to pay the guy, and he wouldn't let me ride around the block, I'd be thinking he's trying to hide something.

I like the idea of getting the funds up front, and give the buyer a receipt that says he can return the bike for full refund if he doesn't like it for any reason. Not everyone is going to be able to swing that, though. I guess I would let a potential buyer ride my bike if he brought 2 or 3 thousand dollars as a deposit against damage. And leave the keys to whatever he drove up in. Make it a little tough to weed out joyriders, but still let serious buyers feel as though their interests are protected as well. You'll never get top dollar for your bike if the buyer doesn't feel safe. He'll be holding back money that should be on the table.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:29 PM
slankard
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember cash is green backs not a check!! You can not put a stop payment on a dollar bill!!

Old 11-20-2009, 06:32 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have sold several bikes. If they put the cash in my hand they got to ride the bike. I never had anyone give me any grief about it.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:06 PM
2000FiveOh
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he pulls up on a bike I would let him. I just follow him on his bike.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Sath
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sold my bike this year but I worked with the guy. We agreed to a price unridden but I would not complete the deal until he test rode the bike. ( He agreed to asking price and I was having cold feet ) any way I knew he had just completed a riders saftey course and was not out for a joy ride. If your potential buyer is serious meaning the price was agreed upon unridden and had ridding experience I think you would have to make a judgement call. If this was their first bike or you didn't feel confortable about their safety ( bike) offer to let him/her ride bitch just to show them the bike is in proper working order. Once they get the wind in their face its sold!!

Sath

Last edited by Sath; 11-20-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:12 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dude I bought my bike from let me ride it first. he had it set up ALL weird, including the foot peg clevises being upside down to where since I was taller the foot pegs would bend forward due to my leg angle so I'm goin down the street tryin not to put weight on them! I said **** this, came back, had him help me change em around (and laughed a little cuz he said he'd been riding that way for years) THEN went and took it around the block. I just wanted to hear and feel it.

I had cash in hand. If I ****ed up, the bike was mine and he had his money. Seems the only way to do it.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:20 PM
bradleys
Tourer
Received 200 Likes on 70 Posts

Kawasaki 900??? Umm, well I am not sure what you are worried about - I have an 800 Vulcan that is in fantastic shape and would be lucky to get 3k for it.

But to your question. I frankly would never purchase a bike without taking it for a ride and if you think I am going to put 10k, 15k or more cash in your hands you have another thing coming.

On the other hand, a test ride comes well after the negotiations and I will keep your drivers license and car keys before you take her out. We will also agree on the route your going to take.

Look, you have insurance for a reason.

If you are willing to purchase a motorcyle without a test drive - good for you and I hope you never get burned. If you will not let me make sure the bike is road worthy before I drop a significant amount of money on it - well, then you will be looking for another buyer.

Quick Reply: Selling a used bike - allow test rides??