Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Moto Cam Testing results Video Dyno Charts

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009 | 10:33 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
True, and I'm sure the compromise you refer to is the top-end, the cam being the SE255. However, as you well know, some of us aren't very interested in what happens above 4K RPM (ref: Intrepid175). Whereas the 6-6 looks very good overall, I'm under the impression from looking at your chart and others that the compromise with these using stock compression is the range between 2000-2500, and I also think there are cams that won't compromise that area. The SE255's come to mind and it is not a secret that I like this cam for those of us who worship the low-end and midrange.

OTOH, in preserving the low-end as they do the 255's will never yield the good peak-HP numbers you have achieved with the 6-6's. It's whatever you want out of a cam, and there is a percentage of touring-bikers that would rather have the low-end grunt at the expense of the high-RPM HP numbers. That's why I'd like to see the same effort given to the 6-6's with the 4°-advance gear, which would certainly move the emphasis toward the low-end. The 5-6's would be interesting, too, although if you must change the springs it will remove them from the "bolt-in" list and may dissuade more than a few of us.

The problem with the gear is that it adds about $125 to the cost, although I think Andrews makes one for less. With the cams you're looking at about $525, and there may be others besides me who consider cost a factor in the equation. As a cheap bastard that price range raises big red flags. Also, you used your very trick 2½" pipes for the new models which help your charts but add even more to the price. For those of us with antiques, like my '07 with the old-style head pipes, I doubt if we'd achieve those numbers even with your great Jackpot mufflers.

I think you're doing the right thing by getting into the cam market, but I think a percentage of us are looking for a cam-set that provide stump-pulling low-end and midrange power with less emphasis on peak-HP, preferably without spending the extra $$$ on advance gears. Andrews cuts the Wood cams and others, as I understand it, so maybe you could approach them for a custom grind. Just my 2¢.
Do you have a dyno chart with the SE255's, Stage 1 A/C and mufflers? If you do, could you post it?

Old 11-24-2009 | 05:31 AM
dklanecky
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting discussion. I'm with Iclick, i could generally care less what happens over 4,000 rpms and I spend virtually no time there, but "live" in the 2-3000 rpm range.

Old 11-24-2009 | 05:45 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HD REBEL
Id like to chime in if I may. A friend of mine recommended the Woods T6-6 cams but I installed the SE255's based on cost and iclicks reports. I could not be happier! I installed them for under $300 including SE tapered adjustable pushrods. The Woods would have been more than twice the price for the area of improvement I wanted, so it was a no brainer. Its not that Im cheap....but, now I have more money for my chrome needs!
I also had SE255's installed and they work great for the way I ride.

The biggest thing that I noticed is that now I can ride in 6th gear at much lower rpm,s.
I live in an area with lots of hill and now I am pulling those hill in 6th gear at 2000rpms were before I needed 5th gear.
I wish I had enough money to experiment with different cam design and could try the Woods Cams, but I ride under 3000 rpm's 99% of the time and I am totally happy with the SE255's.

Last edited by harley-jones; 11-24-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-24-2009 | 06:32 AM
oscarg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I to love the SE255 lots of low mid range grunt

Old 11-24-2009 | 10:28 AM
fuelmoto
|
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,168 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Our cam testing is not a cam comparison, rather development allowing us to offer cams that we have tested to work specifically with the combinations we offer. Because we have not tested the SE255 cams on our test bike on the same day, same conditions, with the same exhaust combination I will not post dyno charts for comparison. The SE255 cams are a great choice for those looking primarily for a moderate increase in low end torque and this is a cam I would recommend. However, the Woods TW6-6 may be a better option for those looking to take the next step for larger Hp/Tq gains. I agree most riding is done in the 2000-4000 RPM range and even considering this area is a strong point for the SE 255 cams, the bikes we have tested with 255 cams did not match the TW6-6 in this area and at 3500 RPM's the Woods cams are making as much as 10+ft lbs more torque.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 11-24-2009 | 01:24 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
As some of you know I have been working on offering cams alongside our Power Packages for the 96" bikes for those who are looking to take the next step in performance. Over the past year I have been studying cam profiles and lobe centers as well as analyzing dyno charts from many of the bikes/builds and combinations we have tuned. We wanted to offer drop in cams with good power gains and most importantly we needed a cam that will complement our components. We have tuned 100's of mismatched combinations that made low or poor numbers and knew we could put together a package and improve on what we typically see. I talked with Bob Woods on several occasions and his straight forward and honest approach to business is a very good fit with ours and most importantly his knowlege of cams is second to none. We talked specifically about a cam for what we were looking for and we both agreed the TW6-6 should be a great fit, especially because our Jackpot mufflers and 2/1/2 headpipe are developed primarily for bottom end torque yet we still wanted a good Hp increase so we got a set to test. We swapped the cams, I loaded a PC-V map for a similar setup that we tuned and took the bike for a 15 minute ride with the PC-V/Auto Tune enabled. I could immediately feel the difference in performance, bottom end torque was smooth and signifigantly increased and the throttle response is much better with greatly increased overall power. Idle has a bit of a loap and sounds more agressive. The cams and valvetrain are as quiet as stock, overall the bike ran very well with our PC-V base map and Auto Tune. Got back to the shop and plugged into a laptop to view the fuel trims and was impressed that the Auto Tune had made changes to the base map almost identical to what I was expecting. The Auto Tune is one of the single most powerful tuning tools available and really works well. Put it up on the dyno and spent a few hours datalogging and tuning the fuel and igntion timing tables and the final numbers were 93Hp/103Tq. The torque is very strong from 2000 RPM's especially in the 3K RPM range. This testing was done on a 09 Touring models and the combination consists of Woods TW6-6 cams, Jackpot Dyno Tuned mufflers, Jackpot 2/1/2 headpipe, Fuel Moto Stage 1 air cleaner, and Dynojet PC-V (Auto Tune optional) Came in the next day, got the bike up to operating temp made some runs and laid down the same numbers.

Looks like there's someone else out there that can tune a 96" with Woods cams. A couple guys were very skeptical when I posted my dyno sheets. I guess they'll have to go figure out what's wrong with their 103 builds. Looks like that Jackpot Head Pipe is the item to have. That torque curve is badass compared to my Thunderheader.

Last edited by JCleary; 11-24-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2009 | 06:47 PM
RoadHawgRider
Novice

Jamie - In one of your posts you mentioned an Andrews TW54 cam. I have been researching a cam for my 2010 Ultra Limited, which I currently have a full exhaust from V&H (powerduals+monster ovals), and a PCV and air filter. I have a mechanic friend who does a lot of R&D for one of the major aftermarket companies, and his consensus for the 103 with stock heads was the Andrews. The Andrews looks pretty close in design to the Woods TW6-6, which are both way different than the SE-255. The SE-255 cam specs seem way far from conventional design specs, yet they seem to be touted as a great touring cam? Your comments?...............

Old 11-24-2009 | 07:07 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-24-2009 | 08:03 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

2010 Limited here as well, and very interested in a cam swap. The 6-6 is a great cam, but I'm leaning towards a Fatcat 2:1 exhaust.

Old 11-24-2009 | 08:06 PM
bwickes
Cruiser
Default d&d +CAM

Originally Posted by rthomp159
2010 Limited here as well, and very interested in a cam swap. The 6-6 is a great cam, but I'm leaning towards a Fatcat 2:1 exhaust.
Both together sound like a great combo.

B

Last edited by bwickes; 11-24-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Moto Cam Testing results Video Dyno Charts