Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Moto Cam Testing results Video Dyno Charts

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009 | 12:25 PM
fuelmoto
|
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,168 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveO
Anything for a 08 110 UCSE3?

Steve
The Woods TW6-6 cams would work very well on the 110" bike, another good choice would be the Andrews 54.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 11-23-2009 | 02:45 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll admit this is a nice curve and the best I've seen for a 6-6 by the way I measure ideal performance in a touring bike, but I would like to see the result of adding the 4°-advance gear to that setup to see if it bumps the extreme bottom-end a bit, which it should at the expense of slightly less peak-HP. I'd also like to see the results of the 5-6 and a decision on whether or not these will work with the stock beehive springs. Wood says they require "high-lift" springs, but some claim these springs can take a .575" lift.

Last edited by iclick; 11-23-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-23-2009 | 04:27 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Very impressive Jamie. Stock heads??

Old 11-23-2009 | 04:52 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I'll admit this is a nice curve and the best I've seen for a 6-6 by the way I measure ideal performance in a touring bike, but I would like to see the result of adding the 4°-advance gear to that setup to see if it bumps the extreme bottom-end a bit, which it should at the expense of slightly less peak-HP. I'd also like to see the results of the 5-6 and a decision on whether or not these will work with the stock beehive springs. Wood says they require "high-lift" springs, but some claim these springs can take a .575" lift.
I subscribed to this just to keep track of the conversation. Cams are something I am considering. Don't know if I'll do them or not but if I do, my goals are right in-line with what iclick has always talked about when I've seen him respond to these types of conversations. I nice boost in low and midrange torque would be great. So far, I've spent less than 1% of my time above 4000 rpm so I could care less what kind of boost I get, if any, in those rpm ranges!

Anyway, please excuse the question but, what do you mean by "6-6" or "5-6?"

Thanks!
Steve R.

Old 11-23-2009 | 04:57 PM
fuelmoto
|
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by lightweight bob
Very impressive Jamie. Stock heads??
This testing was done on a completely stock motor. The only mods were Jackpot Dyno Tuned mufflers, 2/1/2 headpipe, Stage 1 air cleaner and Dynojet PC-V

Old 11-23-2009 | 05:14 PM
fuelmoto
|
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
I subscribed to this just to keep track of the conversation. Cams are something I am considering. Don't know if I'll do them or not but if I do, my goals are right in-line with what iclick has always talked about when I've seen him respond to these types of conversations. I nice boost in low and midrange torque would be great. So far, I've spent less than 1% of my time above 4000 rpm so I could care less what kind of boost I get, if any, in those rpm ranges!

Anyway, please excuse the question but, what do you mean by "6-6" or "5-6?"

Thanks!
Steve R.
The 6-6 and 5-6 are different Wood cam grinds. The TW5-6 has 3 degrees earlier intake open/close than the TW6-6 which can help lower RPM's but the 6-6 also makes excellent lower RPM power but with much better mid range as well. We have yet to test another cam that matched the lower RPM and mid range of the Woods 6-6 cams without some sort of compromise elsewhere.

Old 11-23-2009 | 08:42 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
We have yet to test another cam that matched the lower RPM and mid range of the Woods 6-6 cams without some sort of compromise elsewhere.
True, and I'm sure the compromise you refer to is the top-end, the cam being the SE255. However, as you well know, some of us aren't very interested in what happens above 4K RPM (ref: Intrepid175). Whereas the 6-6 looks very good overall, I'm under the impression from looking at your chart and others that the compromise with these using stock compression is the range between 2000-2500, and I also think there are cams that won't compromise that area. The SE255's come to mind and it is not a secret that I like this cam for those of us who worship the low-end and midrange.

OTOH, in preserving the low-end as they do the 255's will never yield the good peak-HP numbers you have achieved with the 6-6's. It's whatever you want out of a cam, and there is a percentage of touring-bikers that would rather have the low-end grunt at the expense of the high-RPM HP numbers. That's why I'd like to see the same effort given to the 6-6's with the 4°-advance gear, which would certainly move the emphasis toward the low-end. The 5-6's would be interesting, too, although if you must change the springs it will remove them from the "bolt-in" list and may dissuade more than a few of us.

The problem with the gear is that it adds about $125 to the cost, although I think Andrews makes one for less. With the cams you're looking at about $525, and there may be others besides me who consider cost a factor in the equation. As a cheap bastard that price range raises big red flags. Also, you used your very trick 2½" pipes for the new models which help your charts but add even more to the price. For those of us with antiques, like my '07 with the old-style head pipes, I doubt if we'd achieve those numbers even with your great Jackpot mufflers.

I think you're doing the right thing by getting into the cam market, but I think a percentage of us are looking for a cam-set that provide stump-pulling low-end and midrange power with less emphasis on peak-HP, preferably without spending the extra $$$ on advance gears. Andrews cuts the Wood cams and others, as I understand it, so maybe you could approach them for a custom grind. Just my 2¢.

Last edited by iclick; 11-23-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-23-2009 | 08:50 PM
2wheeltom77
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanted to subscribe as well. I talked to Bob a couple weeks ago and planned on buying the 6-6 cams this winter. Haven't decided on exhaust yet. Jamie, have you done any tuning with the PCIII and these cams yet?

Old 11-23-2009 | 09:16 PM
HD REBEL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id like to chime in if I may. A friend of mine recommended the Woods T6-6 cams but I installed the SE255's based on cost and iclicks reports. I could not be happier! I installed them for under $300 including SE tapered adjustable pushrods. The Woods would have been more than twice the price for the area of improvement I wanted, so it was a no brainer. Its not that Im cheap....but, now I have more money for my chrome needs!

Old 11-23-2009 | 10:19 PM
Jahillsr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does Fuel Moto have any MA located shops they work with for installation/dyno tuning?

Quick Reply: Fuel Moto Cam Testing results Video Dyno Charts