Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Guard-Mounted Fog Lamps??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009 | 07:43 AM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain

I love them. No, they are not headlights. But if you turn them off in the dark you can tell a huge difference. I have mine set up through the accessory switch and run them all the time. If you do get them, be sure to check the angle - drive towards a buddy with them on at night to make sure they are not angled up too high. Not being a headlight, they were not designed to throw light quite the same.

Old 11-19-2009 | 08:19 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior

I got em on my SG. I ran the wires inside the crash bars. I like them and I feel more visable to the cages during the daytime hrs.

Old 11-19-2009 | 01:28 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

I have them installed and wired on the out side of the bars. Have had them for about 10,000 miles. They do help at night seeing potholes ans stuff up close. A buddy of mine saw me coming at him and he thought that it was a space ship with all 5 lights on. You will definitely be noticed!!!

Old 11-19-2009 | 02:07 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
They will make you more visible to other vehicles, but that's about it.
And, what's wrong with that? I call em "Ditch Lights" for a reason. They light the ditches. Hello!!! And during the day, they make a triangle of light, like they have on railroad locomotives, which has been proven to attract the attention of other drivers. I always run mine in the daytime too. OP, I don't think you can go wrong adding any kind of lights to the front of your bike.

Old 11-19-2009 | 03:22 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

They're great for day time conspicuity; I left them "on" at all times riding here in metro Atlanta's heavy traffic.

Also great for horizontal lighting on rural roads at night.

Old 11-19-2009 | 04:03 PM
Harley.Driver
Cruiser

..... They will make you more visible to other vehicles, but that's about it.
Steve
This is the main reason why I installed them
with wires into the crashbar, manny thanks to this forum for the idea & tips how to install

Old 11-20-2009 | 12:33 PM
karz10
Road Master

A guy's bike I worked on a few weeks ago had them on it, and I wasn't impressed with them at all. When I took the bike out for the test ride it was dark, so I put these on and I couldn't hardly tell any difference. He had the stock headlight and passing lamps, so I think these lights were just overkill and didn't help out at all with seeing more. They will make you more visible to other vehicles, but that's about it.

Steve
FWIW, while it may or may not be the case here, imo *everything* needs to be properly adjusted in order to see the difference.

If the fog lights are too high or too low, you won't notice a difference.

If the stock passing lamps, or the headlight for that matter, are not adjusted properly, overlapping the fog lights, then you won't be able to tell a difference either.

It took a little time and patience but I went back and forth between a brick wall in a parking lot, and a completely dark back road, making minor adjustments to get the proper alignment for both high and low beam.

At the top and highest point of light casting is my headlight, w/ the passing lamps right below that, and the fog lamps right below that, casting a tall and wide path of light.

Each fog lamp is 55W I believe, whereas the stock passing lamps are only 35W, and I think my brights on the headlamp is only 55W, so adding 2 55W bulbs if properly aimed along with the other lights has to help.

For me, I wired the fogs to run w/ the low or high beam. This is especially helpful to be seen during the day, as well as at night. May not be legal or pass inspection in some areas, but the only time I run highs w/ the fogs are during the day to be seen, or at night on back roads and not facing oncoming traffic.

I can tell a difference in what I see in the ditches and how much more visible I am from both a head on view, but especially from a side or angled view. I was hit last year by a lady who pulled right out in front of me. I felt adding this mod was a good idea to at least give myself slightly better odds, and I can see more critters on the side of the road than I could before, giving me a chance to react appropriately.

Hope that helps...

I haven't wired em into the bars yet, put em on and wanted to ride this season, maybe I'll get around to that this winter...

Last edited by karz10; 11-20-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2011 | 11:11 AM
My Fat
Stage I
Default Lenses Falling Out

I originally had the dealer install the 98A's on my moustache bars on my 2003 Fat Boy. After a couple of years of riding I discovered the one (my right side) was dangling by the wires.Service manager said they can not be fixed and ordered me a new pair of the new 98A's. Now after a couple of years I see that the lenses on these (again on my right side) is starting to separate from the shell. I don't think that these can be fixed either. And I see that the new ones are 98C's. Anyone experience separation problems with these fog lamps?

Old 06-06-2011 | 12:33 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member

I liked them for the money. I hade them poweredcoated black to match my black engine guard. Thet gave off enought light for the much needed extra lighting on a StreetGlide.

Old 06-06-2011 | 12:43 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by adleser
HD part # 68913-98B

Has anyone installed these on their tour bikes? Like 'em?

If so post some pics.

Thanks!

I was thinking of getting the Denali LED driving/fog lamps as they have gotten great reviews and don't take a lot of power so I'll have some left for heated gear. Also lens can be changed for fog (40 degree) or spot (20 degree).

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6158/195/