Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brightasslights - WOW

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 05:36 AM
dklanecky
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love mine and have installed on two bikes with no issues at all. To the OP, run it at full brightness, you won't have any issues other than no one will get close to the rear end of your bike.

I don't worry about security, because no one would be able to tell what you had back there, it's not marked in anyway (from the outside) that I can see, and looks indistinguishable from the stock tail light, (until you hit the brakes or turn the bike on).

Old 11-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts
Default Freakishly fantastic

These BAL lights are freakishly bright. And they work to keep cagers off your tail. I installed the new smoked layback BAL on my 2010 SEUC (My Tourpak is detachable and is off in the pics). These tailights work fantastic and the install takes just a few minutes.

My only disappointment is that they don't make BAL turn signal bulbs yet. I called BAL and I think they are on the way. I'd like to get rid of the yellow incandescent bulbs and replace with red BAL leds that function as run/brake/turns in the rear and yellow BAL leds up front as turn signals.

Here's several pics although my camera just doesn't do justice to these lights.

First pic is with the running light off.

Attached Thumbnails Brightasslights - WOW-sany0151.jpg  

Last edited by Heatwave; 11-19-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Heatwave

Here's a pic of the layback BAL from the side.

Attached Thumbnails Brightasslights - WOW-sany0152.jpg  
Old 11-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Heatwave

Here's a pic in running light mode. I have it set to the middle setting which is 3% brighter. The highest level looks too much like the brake is being applied.

Attached Thumbnails Brightasslights - WOW-sany0155.jpg  
Old 11-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Heatwave

Last pic. This is with the brake applied. It's very very bright. You definitely don't want to stare at it. I have it set to a fast 3 flash before the steady state braking light.

Attached Thumbnails Brightasslights - WOW-sany0154.jpg  
Old 11-19-2009, 08:55 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jetspeed8
I installed my BAL-1 the other day and you are right. IT IS BRIGHT !!!
Just got done converting my Ultra Classic to all LED turn signals, brake light, fairing accent lights and fairing windshield LED trim. Everything (lights) works great and all blink normally.

Now the alarm goes off when I try to start the bike. Didn't think I'd have too, but maybe I need to put a equalizer in?
Anyone run into this problem??
So, did the alarm go off before you converted the rest of your lights to LED? Their website doesn't say anything about needing a load balancer, but the fact that you've changed the rest of them - especially the turn signals, means you probably need one.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:58 AM
fripple
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks killer Heatwave!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:26 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the pictures, Heatwave. As everyone can see, the pictures look great but they don't come close to showing how freakin bright these things are. My brake lights are set to give a two second fluttering burst of blinding light then go to solid at the same intensity. I sat behind the bike while someone hit the brakes and I saw spots for an hour afterward.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:34 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jberg
Thanks for the pictures, Heatwave. As everyone can see, the pictures look great but they don't come close to showing how freakin bright these things are. My brake lights are set to give a two second fluttering burst of blinding light then go to solid at the same intensity. I sat behind the bike while someone hit the brakes and I saw spots for an hour afterward.
With all of the read-end crashes I read, I'm definitely for brighter tail lights. With that said, have a question: Does the brighter (sounds like MUCH brighter) LED tail light render your other 2 (signals) useless? In other words, is it SO bright that you can't see the signal lights? Just asking. Not trying to rain on the parade here.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by jetspeed8
I installed my BAL-1 the other day and you are right. IT IS BRIGHT !!!
Just got done converting my Ultra Classic to all LED turn signals, brake light, fairing accent lights and fairing windshield LED trim. Everything (lights) works great and all blink normally.

Now the alarm goes off when I try to start the bike. Didn't think I'd have too, but maybe I need to put a equalizer in?
Anyone run into this problem??

The problem isn't your BAL tailight. No equalizer is needed if you're just installing the tailight. The issue is your LED turn signals. They are using alot less "current" and therefore may not trigger the flash relay to function properly and may also trigger an alarm code or other touble codes. Really depends on the draw of the leds you installed.

An equalizer would send a signal that the load of the leds is the same as the stock turn signal bulbs.

I'm going to wait on my LED turn signals until BAL has a product. If they have a product anywhere nead the quality, brightness and install simplicity of their tailight, it's sure to be a hot seller and a great product.

On a separate note, I went to my local hardware store and replaced the factory phillips SS screws used to install the BAL taillight with 2 SS allen panhead screws.

BAL sells a pair of security screws and a key to prevent theft for $10. I think the the small SS allen screws I bought for $.35 will give me a similar level of security without having to worry about losing the key. Most theft-minded crooks will move on to another bike when they realize they need more than a phillips screwdriver to walk away with my BAL.

Quick Reply: Brightasslights - WOW