Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra Stator what next

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,810 Likes on 3,167 Posts

Originally Posted by sargek
Thanks for that - options are always a good thing! Apparently the HD stators are junk, based on the frequency people seem to be replacing them. I am replacing the regulator at the same time, which I think is probably recommended. Hope my 6 month old $150 battery is still good...This whole thing is a guess on my part - I am assuming because a) my near new battery is dead and b) my stator grommet is leaking, that it's time to bite the bullet and just replace the whole charging system before it $hits the bed on a trip and leaves me stranded.
That's what prompted me, I got tired of old technology at HD prices. The Compu-Fire puts out more consistent power, with a vented rotor to keep it cooler and last longer (?) with new spacers to accomodate the difference in width. And there's a Tech dept in Ca. you can call.

( A 6 month old battery should sure as heck still be good!) Good Luck

Old 06-24-2011, 02:15 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

makes you wonder why the stator is not fuse protected?

another thing to check this winter....

Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
That's what prompted me, I got tired of old technology at HD prices. The Compu-Fire puts out more consistent power, with a vented rotor to keep it cooler and last longer (?) with new spacers to accomodate the difference in width. And there's a Tech dept in Ca. you can call.

( A 6 month old battery should sure as heck still be good!) Good Luck
Thanks - I am not 100% certain the stator is bad yet, but since I have the grommet leak, the near new battery is dead, and I have to change the stator to really fix the leak properly anyway, I am just going to do it for peace of mind. I'll start tearing it apart this weekend but can't get the parts for another week or so, so it will be ready to back together anyway. One thing I noticed on the Cycle Electrics site mentioned was that they do not recommend a low mounted oil cooler, which I have, because I assume it causes heat to draft back over the regulator, which mine sits right in front of. Great, there goes another $200 for a Jag 10 row cooler...

Old 06-24-2011, 09:50 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing I noticed on the Cycle Electrics site mentioned was that they do not recommend a low mounted oil cooler
I put an after market fan kit on my cooler. the fans blow quite a bit of air thru the system resulting in lower heat exchange temps.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:14 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

That's a good idea for a couple of reasons: cooling the regulator and when you are at a stop in traffic, it will cool the oil too. Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:22 PM
kpb46
Road Master

Originally Posted by Time2Cruise
Yes, it's the wound wire part of the generating system. Had one go out on mine about a month ago while on a trip. When they go out you are running on the battery.
And not for long