Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another Seat thread... need advice though

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM
beracing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Yet another Seat thread... need advice though

Okay, hate to do it, as I know opinions are like arsholes, everybody has one, but in this case, I think it is a good thing!

Rode to Daytona from NC this past weekend. Down on Sat and back on Sun. A little over 1,000 miles. Rode down with my stock seat, but while at Destination Daytona, I went to Ultimate Seats shop. Well, I put their solo w/ backrest on, Sat night and they told me to ride it home and for a few days and if I didn't like it, just send it back for a refund.

The trip down my butt faired pretty good, though it was getting a little sore by the time we hit Destination. I initially was going to get a Mustang Solo, but trial fitted one from the J&P store there, and it seemed to raise me up and move me forward in comparison to my stock seat. I didn't really like that, though the seat felt pretty good. The Ultimate Seat did a little, but not near as much as the Mustang.

The ride home was okay to start, but after the first 200 miles, my backside was beginning to really bother me. Wasn't sure if it was the seat, since it is a firmer seat, or just left over from the day before and now compounded by the firmer seat. Since I have noassatall disease, my lack of backside natural cushion complicates the firmer seat option, I think. I know there are two schools of thought there, but seems my stock seat was easier on me than the other.

Long story, long. Looking for some feedback from people with similar issues. I'm 5'9" with 31" inseam. I've looked at some seats with gel inserts, and other memory foam options. I've looked into Mustang, Corbin, C&C, Mean City Cycles, and looking for other potential options. Other consideration, is who may have a return policy if you don't like it or it sits you differently on the bike.

All thoughts and opinions welcome! Tks!!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:33 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm happy with the Mustang Ultra Regal Touring seat I bought.
It did sit my a little closer and a little higher.Was not sure about it at first so after a couple months I put the stock seat back on and rode it to work.As soon as I got home the Mustang was back on!
The back portion is a lot wider than the stock and my wife loves it.
Some online dealers and Mustang have return policies.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:40 PM
amckay63
6th Gear

I have a relatively new (less than 1000 miles) LePera Maverick, model # LK-957 seat for sale. It has biker gel front and back. I bought it for my '08 Road Glide. I love it, but mama likes the old seat better (she's petite and it's not breaking in fast enough). The LePera site says it will fit '08-'09 FLT/FLHT/FLHS/FLTR/FLHX/FLHR models. MSRP for it with the biker gel is $682. I paid $640. I'm selling it for $375 + shipping. After getting all the opinions and checking seats out, if you're interested let me know.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought a Corbin for the Road King. I like it a lot so far. I went from a sundowner to the Corbin and it is a totally different experience.

- Real leather which doesn't feel as hot sitting in the sun as the vinyl did

- It is STIFFFFFFF for the first 1-2k miles and takes a bit of getting used to, but is definitely better than stock or the sundowner. Corbin's website says the opposite of conventional logic regarding soft seats and gel pads. I was a bit skeptical at first, but it's true. Wouldn't trade for a gel pad of any kind.

- It fits the bike better than either the stock or sundowner. It hugs the frame better, the nose hugs the tank better, etc

- The nose is narrower, and since the seat is a little lower, my feet touch the ground better. I think I'm a little farther back from the bars, but not enough to make a difference. It almost seems like I'm sitting a little more "in" the bike like a softail than "on" it, but not quite if that makes sense

I think that whatever you go with, you will be happier than an HD offering. If you are going to spend the money, go ahead and spend a few extra and get a quality seat you will be happy with for a long time.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 PM
beracing
Cruiser

[quote=matrix5;5861852]Bought a Corbin for the Road King. I like it a lot so far. I went from a sundowner to the Corbin and it is a totally different experience.

- Real leather which doesn't feel as hot sitting in the sun as the vinyl did

- It is STIFFFFFFF for the first 1-2k miles and takes a bit of getting used to, but is definitely better than stock or the sundowner. Corbin's website says the opposite of conventional logic regarding soft seats and gel pads. I was a bit skeptical at first, but it's true. Wouldn't trade for a gel pad of any kind.

- It fits the bike better than either the stock or sundowner. It hugs the frame better, the nose hugs the tank better, etc

Tks! I just have reservations about the firm seat after the ride home. Again, could be it needs to break in more, but I'm not sure I want to take several hundred dollar chance that it will enough to not cause the pain I experienced riding home. I agree w/ the money aspect, I just don't want to spend it several times trying to find what works best if I can help it!
- The nose is narrower, and since the seat is a little lower, my feet touch the ground better. I think I'm a little farther back from the bars, but not enough to make a difference. It almost seems like I'm sitting a little more "in" the bike like a softail than "on" it, but not quite if that makes sense

Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mustang solo here as well on my 09 RKC. I prefer it over stock.

I am also 5'9"/31" inseam.

I love the seat....particularly the backrest. It sits me down a little bit over stock and I really like the narrower front.

Couple of observations which may already be obvious to many here:

My Mustang took about 1000 miles to really break in. After that, it was noticeably more comfortable. I'm guessing this is the case with most seats.

I recently figured out, when I've been riding/touring a lot, my butt is more accustomed to sitting on a bike seat, and I can ride longer w/o butt aching. Kinda like being "in shape" i guess.

Using highway pegs (changing foot position) goes a long way towards butt comfort since this redistributes your weight. It helps my shoulders too.

Good luck in finding the perfect seat for you and your wife.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:25 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a mustang, and for comfort, you can't beat them. My only issue with Mustang is that they sit me too far forward. I've got a Corbin now, and the seating position is perfect. They aren't as comfy as the Mustang, but they're close. With the Mustang I was constantly shifting my butt to try to get in the best riding position. I never do that with the Corbin.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:37 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Check-out Mustang's website for their return policy for seats purchased directly from them.

UnderArmour sells a thermogear short that "cures" monkey butt for many. Haven't tried it since my Corbin Classic Solo "cured" my mb issue.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:24 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

After market seats are still a one size fits all seat, they sell the same seats to a guy/girl and height and weight don't matter, you get the same seat they will sell to someone 5' tall and a 100 pounds as they would sell to someone 6'5 tall 300+ pounds ...good luck with that.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:01 AM
16X9 Shooter
Cruiser

Quick Reply: Yet another Seat thread... need advice though