Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my tour back

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just got my tour back

Just got my tour pak (aftermarket) back from the paint shop. What you think? All I need now is to install the all the hardware. Nervous bout doing that!! Any advice prior to start drilling!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-17-2009, 08:57 AM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only advice I can offer is be very,very, very careful. You don't want to screw that beauty up in any way. Great looking bike.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:58 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I know what ya mean about drilling new paint but ya gota do it. Get a roll of 2" blue masking tape and lay out your holes on it. You will really dig the space on trips. Paint looks like a perfect match.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Time2Cruise
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matches nicely. Well done. You'll love the TP on trips. X2 on the blue tape. Measure, mark, re-measure, re-measure again, maybe measure one more time, drill, and pull tape. Don't leave tape on any longer than needed.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx for the advice. I'm thinking about getting the HD premium tour pak hinges and use them instead of the regular ones.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Jukebox
Road Master

Damn that is one sweet paint job,I can't wait to see it on the bike. Post some pics when you get it on.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Q Hog
Thx for the advice. I'm thinking about getting the HD premium tour pak hinges and use them instead of the regular ones.
The tour pak looks great; congrats.

The OEM hinges require a blind rivet and special tool to install, so the premium hinges would not only look better, but may be an easier install for you. Check with the vendor of the tour pak to see if he has any experience with the new hinges that he can share with you.

The blind rivets/tool are also used for the latch pieces that attach to the lid. A tech at my local HD store did mine; he's a buddy, no charge. I tried using very small stainless screws and nuts, but the nuts will strike the top edge of the tour pak bottom when the lid is closed.

Carl

Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice looking T/P! Any reason you didn't put it together first to make sure of the fitment before painting? When I bought mine like the one you have, he told me the dimples for the screws might not be exact and to be careful and measure, sorta spooked me a bit. That pack is going look awesome on your bike, I really love the spoiler it's what made me buy mine. Let me know how close the dimples for the screw holes were and how worked out for you!

Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 AM
keltonkrew
Road Master

this may be a dumb question but why didn't you drill all your holes and do a mock fit up before u had it painted. I just dropped my fairing off yesterday at the paintshop, but I spent all day friday mounting it, installing radio, doing wiring, etc so when it comes back from paint, it's just plug n play. easier to fix a problem before paint than after?

ps... ur paint looks awesome and ur bike is a looker!

Old 11-17-2009, 10:58 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks Awesome, as usual.

Quick Reply: Just got my tour back