Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my tour back

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:59 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Jukebox
Damn that is one sweet paint job,I can't wait to see it on the bike. Post some pics when you get it on.
..... what he said !!!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:01 AM
broziff
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Q Hog
Thanks for all the advice. I'm off to Home Depot tomorrow to buy some supplies. I'm not in any rush, I will just take my time..

@Pingman, you rised your T/P from the bracket instead of on the saddlebags brackets? if so, sounds like an easier mod.

@HDRider2002, where did you order the spacers (to extend the saddlebags out) from?

@Teqsand, I think the lid can be brought from the seller, but there is another seller as well on ebay that sell the T/P whole or in seperate.

Q hog, couldnt find anything good at home depot or lowes on the spacers only rubber was rubber plugs and I would have to stack cut and drill them. I cant really see a way to space the saddle bags Iam talking about spacing under the tour pack. I stacked up some poly washers to see how high it would need to go and on my bike to get the saddle lids to clear and the front had to go 1 7/8" in front and 1 1/2" in back. If I didnt have to go so high Iam sure I could find something automotive but havnt had luck there either. Id like to know as well were HDrider ordered those spacers.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The hard rubber automotive bushings I used were purchased at an Auto Zone or similar store. Don't know why hdrider had issues with them since they're the same bushings used in the lower control arms of a car. My installation compressed the bushings and they didn't get at all looose after being installed for 4+ years using stainless bolts, washers, and nuts.

The bushings simply fit between the bottom of the tour pak and the detachable rack in this order: (1) tour pak bottom; (2) chrome U-tube supplied in HD detach kit; (3) HD supplied, flat sided spacer; (4) washer/bushing/washer sandwich; and, (5) rack.

A consideration in mounting Q's aftermarket tour pak is that, unlike the HD tour paks that come OEM with a large steel plate that basically covers the interior base of the tour pak and through which the mounting bolts are inserted, there is no steel plate in the bottom of the aftermarket tour pak. Consequently, I'd provide some type of steel plate or straps for the mounting bolts to pass through on the interior of the tour pak's base to spread the load on the fiberglass.

IIRC, the bolt length was 2 1/4" for the four bolts used to attach the tour pak to the chrome tour pak using the chrome U-tube that HD includes in the detachable kits. Buy extras in several lengths and return what you don't use.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:47 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would find a damaged lid and bottom and make templates for all of the mounting holes. You can also use the hardware to make templates with but be sure the exact location is correct. Take your time and always clearly mark the holes with a smaller drill bit. It very important to get the holes centered on each hole. A good rule to follow is, when you have to make measurements, always measure twice to make sure you've go it right.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@Boneziff, Thanks for the update on the Lowes/HomeDepot.

@HarleyPingMan, Thanks for the detailed instructions on adding the bushings.I should be hitting the stores today.. I thought about adding some type of metal base plate and a thin rubber mat on the floor of the T/P to mirror the one that comes with the HD T/Ps. I'll keep everyone updated.. But I plan to just take my time.. No rush here. It's like 40 degs outside right now.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Template's a good idea for the bottom. Do you have a friend with a tp you can borrow for an hour or so?

You also might consider changing your saddlebag hinges out for the upgraded hinges. Same ones as used on the TP if I'm not mistaken.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:21 PM
broziff
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
The hard rubber automotive bushings I used were purchased at an Auto Zone or similar store. Don't know why hdrider had issues with them since they're the same bushings used in the lower control arms of a car. My installation compressed the bushings and they didn't get at all looose after being installed for 4+ years using stainless bolts, washers, and nuts.

The bushings simply fit between the bottom of the tour pak and the detachable rack in this order: (1) tour pak bottom; (2) chrome U-tube supplied in HD detach kit; (3) HD supplied, flat sided spacer; (4) washer/bushing/washer sandwich; and, (5) rack.

A consideration in mounting Q's aftermarket tour pak is that, unlike the HD tour paks that come OEM with a large steel plate that basically covers the interior base of the tour pak and through which the mounting bolts are inserted, there is no steel plate in the bottom of the aftermarket tour pak. Consequently, I'd provide some type of steel plate or straps for the mounting bolts to pass through on the interior of the tour pak's base to spread the load on the fiberglass.

IIRC, the bolt length was 2 1/4" for the four bolts used to attach the tour pak to the chrome tour pak using the chrome U-tube that HD includes in the detachable kits. Buy extras in several lengths and return what you don't use.
Do you think I need a chrome U tube all I have is the stock police rack with air tank in place. The holes in the bottom of my pack line up perfect with the four bolts in the rack. I was measuring 1 7/8 " in the front total space needed for the lids to clear from the bottom of the fiberglass to the top plate on the rack.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:28 PM
trippy57
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DPete
I know what ya mean about drilling new paint but ya gota do it. Get a roll of 2" blue masking tape and lay out your holes on it. You will really dig the space on trips. Paint looks like a perfect match.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't really blame the dealership for quoting 2 hours, from start to finish it could easily be 2 hours. If it was a Harley bag from a Harley mold with Harley dimples and a stock paint job that'd be different. Part of the "slow job" is probably for liability reasons-they're risking one false move costing them big bucks to repair/replace a custom paint job. Not the same as hitting something with a paintstick and heatgun & hoping you'll never notice. Most service departments aren't body shops with nice empty padded tables to work on. Kinda funny somebody can copy an entire trunk but not it's holes.......................
Paint looks really nice BTW, can't wait to see it all put together.

Last edited by Glenn W; 11-21-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update, I drilled the five holes through the bottom of the T/P that attaches to the detachable rack. I attached it to the RK to make sure it fitted correctly and it did, and as it was advised, my saddlebags won't be able to fully open. I went to the Advance auto and Discount Auto, but I wasn't able to find a sizable bushing.

I'll be looking for some the bushing Pingman mentioned and and longer bolts to accommodate the bushings.

Inregards to the type of metal plate to provide support to the base of my T/P (I called HD and they said that they don't sale the metal base and it doesn't come with the HD Chop T/P, but I read an article in Hot Baggers magazine where they illustrated the installation of a HD Chop T/P and it came with a metal flooring -go figure.)

Quick Reply: Just got my tour back