Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my tour back

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ;
What a hose job. I've done mine and it's about a 1/2 hour job and I'm an idiot. Really makes you wonder about the so-called techs.
Don't blame the techs, Every manufacture puts out what is known as a Flat Rate Guide and all authorized dealers are required by there dealer contract to use and follow it. The manufacture requires this so if you go to anyone of there dealerships the service price for the same work should be very near the same.

Routinley the techs don't get paid by the hour. The get paid by the flat rate manual and the job. If they take longer than the flat rate guide states they only get paid for the time that the flat rate manual allows. On the other hand if they finish in less time than the flat rate manual they get a performance bonus.

It is not uncommon for GOOD TECH to show 12 to 14 hours for a eight hour day.

On another note, The Service Department is usually responsible for a larger portion of the company overhead. This makes the Sale Department look more profitable and the company looks better on paper.

Why do they do this? Most companies don't own what's sitting on there show room floor. The inventory is owned by a bank, also known as a floor plan. They pay interest on the stock till it sales. The better the company looks on paper the better the interest rate they get and the more inventory they can have.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good! I would recommend, tape, tape, tape. Also, use small drill bits on slow speed and take your time. You may also want to place a piece of rubber up the drill bit, against the chuck just for those 'o ****' mishaps.
I have a tourpak for my RG, that Im about to strip down and paint. Plans are to build some recessed speaker pods to hold 6.5. If you decide you want to add some speakers back there, let me know.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:30 AM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great advice on the drill bit. if u don't have rubber, take some black electrical tape and wrap it around the drill bit at the chuck and make a big ball out of it!

Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 AM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
Don't blame the techs, Every manufacture puts out what is known as a Flat Rate Guide and all authorized dealers are required by there dealer contract to use and follow it. The manufacture requires this so if you go to anyone of there dealerships the service price for the same work should be very near the same.

Routinley the techs don't get paid by the hour. The get paid by the flat rate manual and the job. If they take longer than the flat rate guide states they only get paid for the time that the flat rate manual allows. On the other hand if they finish in less time than the flat rate manual they get a performance bonus.

It is not uncommon for GOOD TECH to show 12 to 14 hours for a eight hour day.

On another note, The Service Department is usually responsible for a larger portion of the company overhead. This makes the Sale Department look more profitable and the company looks better on paper.

Why do they do this? Most companies don't own what's sitting on there show room floor. The inventory is owned by a bank, also known as a floor plan. They pay interest on the stock till it sales. The better the company looks on paper the better the interest rate they get and the more inventory they can have.
Regardless of what you say, which I know and understand, it is still a rip-off to be charged two hours of labor for a half hour job.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by boneziff
Nice paint Q hog. Iam courious to see what mounting youll be using with those cop bags. I just got a chopped tour pak for my 09 FLHP and due to the different way those saddle bags open spacers are needed on the mounting bracket so they dont hit each other. Iam just finding this out trying to mount my pak to the stock bracket.
Originally Posted by Q Hog
Boneziff, I guess that maybe another problem I can add to the list. Let me know what spacers you use to rectify the problem.
I used hard rubber automotive bushings sandwiched between thin stainless washers to raise the tour pak 3/4" - 1" to provide clearance for the saddlebag lids to open.

It probably only takes 1/2 hour to install the premium tour pak hinges, but this tour pak also needs the lanyard and the brackets for the lanyard, latches, lock and lid gasket installed.

Good luck with the hardware installation.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the "rubber mounts" for a while, but id idn't care for the amount of bounce they afforded when going down the road. Eventually i ordered some 3/4" chrome spacers and permanently mounted it that way.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:08 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you buy just the lid and will it fit a stock tourpak?

Who sells them?

Old 11-20-2009, 12:28 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That paint looks great.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I'm off to Home Depot tomorrow to buy some supplies. I'm not in any rush, I will just take my time..

@Pingman, you rised your T/P from the bracket instead of on the saddlebags brackets? if so, sounds like an easier mod.

@HDRider2002, where did you order the spacers (to extend the saddlebags out) from?

@Teqsand, I think the lid can be brought from the seller, but there is another seller as well on ebay that sell the T/P whole or in seperate.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Regardless of what you say, which I know and understand, it is still a rip-off to be charged two hours of labor for a half hour job.
I agree that the time that they would charge is way to high, My point was not to blame the techs. There just working class stiffs like us.

I spoke to the manufacture and the stated the the top would fit a sandard tour pack bottom.

Quick Reply: Just got my tour back